Scott Coolbaugh

LarryBigbie

He said months ago that the team would not continue to win trying to hit home runs every at bat. If they don't listen what can he do? He doesn't make the line-up cards. Buck needed to sit people who didn't have a good approach. You can change hitting coaches all you want but when you reward a guy with a terrible approach with a 23 million a year 7 year contract you are going to get terrible approaches from the other players.

I don't think Davis has a terrible approach. He just misses the ball a lot. He swings at pitches outside the strike zone less than the average player (28.2% vs. 30.2%). By way of comparision, Jones and Schoop are at 44.8% and 43.0%, 1st and 4th highest among al MLB qualifiers. I'd say if there is a problem with Davis' approach, it's that he doesn't swing enough when he has two strikes (I believe he set the major league record for most called strikeouts this year).

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While I agree, last night's zone was all over the place. Easy to look bad with that to deal with.

Hitters have to adjust to plate ump's strike zone. He was consistently giving BJs pitchers strikes off the outside edge. So, either hit those pitches the other way or foul them off, especially with two strikes. Our guys did neither.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Showalter hopes that other coaches beside Wallace will return. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Rich Dubroff (@RichDubroffCSN) <a href="

">October 6, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't think paying your hitting coach $10,000,000 would give him the ability to turn one type of hitter into another, any more than a doctor could turn a llama into an elephant.

Hmm, an interesting idea.

- signed Dr. Moreau

Bonds is inexplicably available, he was apparently fired despite improving the Marlins scoring from 14th in the NL to 13th. And they went from 15th in walks to 14th. I guess hitting coaches really are that important.

I wonder what Albert Belle is doing? He had a .400 OBP in 1999. He could teach these guy a thing or two about getting on base. Also as a former Oriole he is sure to be a fan favorite.

I know pointing fingers is the thing to do after an emotional loss, and naturally Buck takes the blame after some questionable decisions down the stretch - especially after no Britton. I'm just as upset, but the last thing I want is Buck out.

One guy I'd love to see gone though is Coolbaugh. What impact has this guy made on our offense. Our hitters have ZERO approach. If you have told us in June that our staff would allow 2 runs through 10 innings, we'd have all jumped for joy. What gives?

I have talked with Scott when he worked for the Rangers 3A club. Nice man and hate to see anyone lose a job. He could tell the hitters don't swing at balls low and away. But they still do it. Is it his fault then? I don't know what a coach can do. They have played baseball for years. Maybe they are set in their ways. I don't know why they could be so good early season but pee their shorts late season. It'll take a man a lot smarter than me to figure these guys out.

He should have been fired before the team plane landed at BWI. Maybe we should hire David Ortiz to be our hitting coach. It would be nice for our guys to be around someone who actually comes up with clutch hits in October. Can you imagine what Jones, Schoop, Davis, Machado, and Hardy were thinking as Edwin hit that homer? Wow, people actually can hit strikes a long way when it counts.

Like that would help.

I wonder what Albert Belle is doing? He had a .400 OBP in 1999. He could teach these guy a thing or two about getting on base. Also as a former Oriole he is sure to be a fan favorite.

You must not have been following baseball back when Belle was an active player. He doesn't have the disposition to be a coach or even a well-liked teammate. I can't imagine him having the interpersonal insight and social skills required to teach or guide a struggling hitter.

Totally agree Coolbaugh should be fired immediately. He has obviously done NOTHING to help our hitters. Why not look to some good past Oriole hitters? Maybe Brady could help. Brian Roberts? Both of those guys are Oriole guys thru and thru and were good patient hitters in their day. I keep hearing that the Orioles "are who they are" as far as their hitting approach...and i completely disagree with that mentality. Players CAN learn new approaches!

Don't you imagine that Scott tried to change their approach? But wouldn't do it. Kim has a good approach.

Archived