Mychal Givens could be our best trade target.

bpilktree

I think Givens could be the best way to get a younger solid outfielder. Last year the Phillies moved Giles for a haul in the off season with the Astros expecting to move him to closer Givens could be that target this year if we want to move him. I don't think we could get as much but there may be a way to add a young outfielder.

The Pirates would be a team I look at. They could use a young back end reliever and have some young depth in outfield. The have three good outfielders and three guys just about ready to join the team. Adam Frazier is a guy that interest me not a power guy but has speed and on Bas machine in the minors and Pirates this season.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think trading Givens is one of the last things we should do.

Assuming O'Day would not bring back substantial return due to his contract, if there's anyone in the bullpen I'd deal it is Brach. He's coming off probably the best year of his career, he's 4 years older than Givens, and he's already in arbitration. But he's still a proven All-Star RP at a cheaper price than a FA, you could definitely get good value in return.

You're selling high with Brach, you're probably selling low on Givens. Don't forget Givens didn't even convert to pitching until 2013, only 200 career professional IP before this year. There could still be great room for growth with him.

Britton, O'Day, Brach, Givens, Hart, Drake is just straight nasty. That said you ask a team for 2 of their top 4 prospects for Britton and if they say yes you have to pull the trigger. Givens or Brach could net a very solid return as well. A top pitching prospect, SS prospect or OF have to be considered. I think you aim higher than Frazier, though he is a very nice player he is best deployed at 2B. Not enough power for the OF. The way this team is built I would love to see more OBP skills out of 2B or 2 of the 3 OF spots.

I think trading Givens is one of the last things we should do.

Assuming O'Day would not bring back substantial return due to his contract, if there's anyone in the bullpen I'd deal it is Brach. He's coming off probably the best year of his career, he's 4 years older than Givens, and he's already in arbitration. But he's still a proven All-Star RP at a cheaper price than a FA, you could definitely get good value in return.

You're selling high with Brach, you're probably selling low on Givens. Don't forget Givens didn't even convert to pitching until 2013, only 200 career professional IP before this year. There could still be great room for growth with him.

I'd also rather trade Brach. Coming off an All-Star season, he's likely got more trade value, and he's more expensive. I also think Givens has a higher ceiling - that 95 MPH sidearm fastball is one of the most impressive pitches in baseball, imo.

Hopefully, they can develop the next Brach. It could be Michael Wright.

I think trading Brach would be an option as well I just see teams giving more for Givens because he is younger and cheaper. If you could get a return similar to what the Astros got for Ken Giles who had one less year of control but was a year younger at the time of the trade and though his numbers are a bit better but he was in the NL. Their peripherals are very similar it k's per 9 hits per 9 and whip. The only difference was in the ERA. Giles brought them a top 100 prospect a major league starter and a few young pitching prospects. I love Adam Frazier because of his OBP which is top notch and he has some versatility. They could let him lead off and play right field next season and then when Hardy leaves if you move Manny to SS and resign him. Schoop could go to third which i think maybe the move in the future because of his size and not best range play there. Then move Frazier to 2nd or just keep him there at right. I hate the saying you need power at the corners if you have other positions that are not power positions and you have guys that hit for power there. If you have Schoop and Frazier at 2nd and RF what difference does it make if they are the opposite power and on base at different normal position.

Givens for Frazier, Will Craig and Tyler Eppler would be a solid deal.

I really like our 5 deep bullpen right now. Unless someone like Scott is ready to break through, I would be inclined to leave it alone unless we are totally overwhelmed with offers. If we're looking for trade bait, I would consider these guys first: Jones, Sisco, Kim.

Trading Sisco is a horrible idea. You want a platoon of Joseph/Pena for the next 10 years or possibly an old, overpriced FA? Then yeah, let's trade Sisco.

Trading Sisco is a horrible idea. You want a platoon of Joseph/Pena for the next 10 years or possibly an old, overpriced FA? Then yeah, let's trade Sisco.

Trading Sisco does makes some sense, if the org feels he can't catch, then trade now and hoping another team will over pay for your prospect.

But, you are right, Caleb/Pena isn't the idea situation.

I would look to sell high on Brach. I really dislike his antics on the mound and his value is at its peak right now. Givens could be worth even more in a year or two.

I agree, Brach is the one to trade, if you are going to trade him. Maybe get Lagarus from the Mets and another piece?

I would look at trading Britton. I love having him on the team but if we could get a decent RF out of it and avoid paying Britton the ridiculous amount he will be getting in arbitration then so be it.

No way. We have Mariano Rivera for two more years basically, and we might as well ride him out. The time to trade him is if you are out of it at the deadline in 2018, and you would still get a boat load.

So we trade our very good pen guys away and fill our holes, and we lead the lead in OPS.

And the replacement pen guys, resemble the Tiger's pen and keep them out of the playoffs.

What the heck have you accomplished?

In a perfect world, you trade enough so that each side is balanced and still good.

The pen is ridiculous next year:

Britton $$

O'Day $$$

Brach $

Givens min

Hart min

Worley $

(6th man from rotation)

Trading one of those guys (like Brach or Britton) would not plunge the pen into DET badness, but merely take it a step back. I think this pen could afford to have 2 pieces traded from it and still be one of the best in the sport. It makes a lot of sense to trade 2 RP and get some serious minor league depth. But no way DD does that with the team competing right now.

Archived