Why not Davis in right field... to make room for Mancini?

Bradysburns

I would have to say that Davis in RF is probably not a good idea on a long term basis. I know that no one has considered this argument, but there are some people, who consider Chris Davis to be a very good 1B. Some even consider him to be Gold Glove quality. Not to derail or anything, just wanted a different perspective.:rolleyes:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Davis is barely adequate in RF, and a near GG level first baseman. I don't know how good Mancini is at 1b, but to me, moving Davis to RF weakens two positions defensively. Let Mancini DH and spell Davis at 1B from time to time. The O's looked like a tired team in the 2nd half. Davis only playing 145-150 games, with some of those at DH while Mancini plays 1B, is probably a good thing. Then find a good defensive RFer - be it Rickard or a FA. Preferably someone who can get on base at a .330 clip or above, and hit towards the top of the lineup.

Davis is barely adequate in RF, and a near GG level first baseman. I don't know how good Mancini is at 1b, but to me, moving Davis to RF weakens two positions defensively. Let Mancini DH and spell Davis at 1B from time to time. The O's looked like a tired team in the 2nd half. Davis only playing 145-150 games, with some of those at DH while Mancini plays 1B, is probably a good thing. Then find a good defensive RFer - be it Rickard or a FA. Preferably someone who can get on base at a .330 clip or above, and hit towards the top of the lineup.

I assume there's truth to this claim - that Davis is an elite defender at 1B, and a poor/mediocre defender in right. But what yardstick are we using to make that determination? And how do we know Mancini wouldn't play at least as good a 1B defensively?

If your assumption is correct, then I find that argument AGAINST moving Davis to RF compelling. To significantly weaken us at two spots defensively is moving in the wrong direction, big time.

I would have to say that Davis in RF is probably not a good idea on a long term basis. I know that no one has considered this argument, but there are some people, who consider Chris Davis to be a very good 1B. Some even consider him to be Gold Glove quality. Not to derail or anything, just wanted a different perspective.:rolleyes:

Not derailing at all - your position seems to be the vast majority position. Doesn't mean it's right, or wrong. But it's the majority so far on this thread.

Davis is better in the OF than Trumbo, but that's not a sufficient reason to move him from 1B to make room for Mancini. If Mancini is good enough to make the team, put him at DH, have him spell Davis at 1b occasionally, and get him some practice time in the OF.

Davis is better in the OF than Trumbo, but that's not a sufficient reason to move him from 1B to make room for Mancini. If Mancini is good enough to make the team, put him at DH, have him spell Davis at 1b occasionally, and get him some practice time in the OF.

I suspect that's the way it will play out. But what if Mancini plays a really good first base, and our alternative right fielder is Trumbo-like (i.e. below average)? At that point, moving Davis to right would actually improve your overall defense.

He did have a UZR/150 of 20 in 253 innings in RF last year. His 1B UZR was 5.7 in 900-plus innings. It's easy to underestimate the importance of a great arm in right, which is what I think puts Davis above average out there as well as at first.

Ultimately, it's a nice problem to have with CD. He can truly handle either position.

In my mind, it would really come down to efficient roster utilization. If Mancini's at 1B and CD plays right, you could bring back Pedro Alvarez at DH, or improve your bench, etc. It just seems to be a possible, low-risk (i.e. very reversible if it didn't work out) gambit.

I think Davis could be a good RFer, especially because of his throwing, if he were given time out there in ST and the season.

Nonetheless, I think this bridge has been crossed. If the Orioles wouldn't put Davis in RF to get Trumbo to 1B, they're not going to make that move to get more ABs for Mancini.

Seriously?

You haven't seen enough of Davis at 1st, to know that he plays above average defense?

So sorry, IMO, we really do know.

Before this season he played average defense at first. Remember when he dropped a ball that hit him flush in the middle of the glove? (I think it happened twice)

Trumbo is actually pretty good at first.

We don't know what to make of Kim at first since Buck never played him there, but he did play there in Korea. Total unknown at this point.

Before this season he played average defense at first. Remember when he dropped a ball that hit him flush in the middle of the glove? (I think it happened twice)

Trumbo is actually pretty good at first.

We don't know what to make of Kim at first since Buck never played him there, but he did play there in Korea. Total unknown at this point.

I suspect Kim being a smaller person (Than Chris) might do okay at first, but I don't see him having the long arms and can scoop out the low throws or range high for the tall ones.

I disagree with you on Davis, and even gold glove players like Manny make silly mistakes on the field once in awhile.

Buck said before this season started, that he does have lots of options for first, many many players on this team can cover first if needed, but he didnt think it made too much sense for long term plans, to play anybody but his best first there.

Archived