Could Dexter Fowler Be An Orioles Offseason Target, Again?

PressBoxOnline

Do you think the Cubs have any interest in bringing him back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well between tossing Hammel, Edwin Jackson coming off the books and all the surplus revenue from the postseason run, the Cubs do probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-40M to spend. With that said, I think they only take Dex back if he were to come on a 2 or 3 year deal. A closer, a SP and a bullpen arm or two will be their focus this offseason. It does suck though, going to miss Dex on the Cubs. He was a likeable guy and really popular in the clubhouse.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it would make more sense to look at teams that need a lead-off bat and an upgrade at any of three OF positions. This is Fowler's last shot at a large pay-day. He isn't going to limit his market to only places he can play CF.

Yes, but teams will be more willing to pay a premium for a guy who can play CF.

It was obvious last year that he really did not want to play for us, go get someone who prefers to be here.

He probably preferred to be in Chicago because he already knew the team and they were the consensus World Series favorite. He may not have that option again if the Cubs don't pursue him.

He's a year older and probably more expensive than last year based on his All-Star 2016 season. But he's still an excellent fit for the O's roster needs and I think it'd be a good idea to go after him.

Didn't the Cubs sign him to a two year deal????

Per BBREF:

[TABLE=class: stats_table]

<tbody>[TR=class: hl, bgcolor: #FFFFAA !important]

[TD]2017[/TD]

[TD]31[/TD]

[TD]Chicago Cubs[/TD]

[TD=align: right]*$9,000,000[/TD]

[TD=align: right][/TD]

[TD=class: small_text, colspan: 2]$9M Mutual Option, $5M Buyout[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

It was obvious last year that he really did not want to play for us, go get someone who prefers to be here.

This isn't really true. The Orioles offered him 3/33 which he thought was under market. He asked if they would offer him a one year deal so he could reestablish his value and the Orioles wouldn't offer that deal because they didn't want to lose a draft pick only to control Dexter for one year. So Dexter went to the one team willing to give him a one year deal so he could enter free agency again in 2017. It had nothing to do with not wanting to play in Baltimore.

This isn't really true. The Orioles offered him 3/33 which he thought was under market. He asked if they would offer him a one year deal so he could reestablish his value and the Orioles wouldn't offer that deal because they didn't want to lose a draft pick only to control Dexter for one year. So Dexter went to the one team willing to give him a one year deal so he could enter free agency again in 2017. It had nothing to do with not wanting to play in Baltimore.

Wonder if we rinse and repeat with him. God, that would suck if we did.

When I was a junior in high school, I asked the prettiest, most popular senior in the school to the prom because she had just broken up with her boyfriend and she seemed to enjoy my company. Well, to my amazement, she accepted. Took her to dinner and then the dance and she spent the night dancing with her old boyfriend. Apparently, they had made up before the dance. Luckily for me, someone brought a bottle with them so the night wasn't a total disaster. Anyway, I say no. I don't know the details of what happened last year and neither does any of you. But, I do know that we need to compete with other teams for free agents and it is hard for a team to compete when it looks like a tool.

When I was a junior in high school, I asked the prettiest, most popular senior in the school to the prom because she had just broken up with her boyfriend and she seemed to enjoy my company. Well, to my amazement, she accepted. Took her to dinner and then the dance and she spent the night dancing with her old boyfriend. Apparently, they had made up before the dance. Luckily for me, someone brought a bottle with them so the night wasn't a total disaster. Anyway, I say no. I don't know the details of what happened last year and neither does any of you. But, I do know that we need to compete with other teams for free agents and it is hard for a team to compete when it looks like a tool.

I was honestly expecting the story to go a different way once you mentioned that...Like, "he never knew what hit him."

Maybe DD is a glutton for punishment and tries shaking the tree again. But, if he does, have a backup plan because of last time.

Archived