Orioles interested in Curtis Granderson? (Heating up with Brach as a target)

Tony-OH

5 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I think it is pretty clear that Brach has been the superior and more consistent pitcher, but they are in the same ballpark.  The estimated arb. salaries are $2.2 for Thornburg and $2.9 for Brach, so that pretty much makes them equal value for the next two years, but, yes, I agree with you that the third year of control would seem to make Thornburg the more valuable player, but it isn't like it is a huge difference.  The haul Milwaukee got on Thornburg isn't that much more than we should expect to receive on Brach, IMO.  One year of Granderson at $15 million doesn't do it for me.

Right, I'm just saying we should expect something a little lighter if we were to trade Brach. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Not for one year of Granderson

I guess it depends on how you value Granderson. I'd much rather give up Ubaldo or Gallardo for him, but if the Mets want Brach, I'd make that move just because I have good depth at that position. The Orioles are in win now mode and if Granderson can be had without giving up a top prospect then I'm ok with that.

22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I guess it depends on how you value Granderson. I'd much rather give up Ubaldo or Gallardo for him, but if the Mets want Brach, I'd make that move just because I have good depth at that position. The Orioles are in win now mode and if Granderson can be had without giving up a top prospect then I'm ok with that.

I disagree, Tony.  Having good depth at RP, when the league as a whole is woefully short on talent in the pen is no reason to make a trade for less than market value.  Quite the opposite, IMO.  Looking at what is going on, every deal involving a late-inning guy this off-season has underscored what I'm saying.  If Granderson was an unqualified FA, with no compensation pick, I wouldn't want to sign him at 1/$15 million.  I certainly don't want to give up 2 years of Brach to get there.   I agree with DD passing on that.  Let's see what the off-season brings.  No reason to rush into a bad trade now.

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

I disagree, Tony.  Having good depth at RP, when the league as a whole is woefully short on talent in the pen is no reason to make a trade for less than market value.  Quite the opposite, IMO.  Looking at what is going on, every deal involving a late-inning guy this off-season has underscored what I'm saying.  If Granderson was an unqualified FA, with no compensation pick, I wouldn't want to sign him at 1/$15 million.  I certainly don't want to give up 2 years of Brach to get there.   I agree with DD passing on that.  Let's see what the off-season brings.  No reason to rush into a bad trade now.

I agree, you need depth, so an occasional trip to the DL for one of your relievers doesn't have you counting on AAA for leverage situations.

21 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Yeah, I'm not optimistic that guys like Drake or Wright (who should have been moved to the pen years ago, imo) will just step in to Brach's 7th inning role.  Granderson at 35/36... he had a good 111 OPS+ last season - gotta expect that'll decline a little next season, and gotta expect his range will decline... Is Granderson better than Saunders - who's likely to sign somewhere around 3/33?  

7 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Yeah, I'm not optimistic that guys like Drake or Wright (who should have been moved to the pen years ago, imo) will just step in to Brach's 7th inning role.  Granderson at 35/36... he had a good 111 OPS+ last season - gotta expect that'll decline a little next season, and gotta expect his range will decline... Is Granderson better than Saunders - who's likely to sign somewhere around 3/33?  

They wouldn't need to step into his seventh inning role though, right?  Givens proved himself last season I believe.

15 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think it helps to have 2 options for the 7th. Neither can pick every game.

I'd be fine with that too if we had solutions for the two OF/DH spots.  But we don't.  I really like Brach.  A lot.  But if we could get Granderson plus a prospect, I'd do it.

Just now, backwardsk said:

I'd be fine with that too if we had solutions for the two OF/DH spots.  But we don't.  I really like Brach.  A lot.  But if we could get Granderson plus a prospect, I'd do it.

Granderson and a prospect, sounds better than 1 for 1, and you pay Ganderson his $$$.

1 minute ago, UpstateNYfan said:

I'd rather get rid of O'Day than Brach. I didn't care for the four year commitment in the contract and feel he will continue to have nagging or more serious injury problems over the next three years. I hope I'm wrong, but I think we've seen his best.

O'Day doesn't have any trade value with his contract. Brach has way more value. 

Archived