Update: O's sign Trumbo to 3yr/$37 mil deal

Dark Helmet

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“I’m not [disciplined enough] in a lot of people’s eyes, but that’s the way I’m most efficient. I’ve tried both. I’ve tried to be a high-walk guy, and that version of me is not even a major-league-caliber player. I have opinions on plate discipline, and the best version of me is the one that’s aggressive.” — Mark Trumbo, Orioles slugger, April 2016

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/fangraphs-qa-and-sunday-notes-the-best-quotes-of-2016/

Just a brutal takedown from Fangraphs.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mark-trumbo-is-still-a-free-agent-for-obvious-reasons/

Mark Trumbo just hit 47 homers but still only registered a 123 wRC+ and 2.2 WAR. Given the normal numbers for him elsewhere offensively in walks, strikeouts, and BABIP and the unlikely prospect of a change in approach, Trumbo’s 2016 offensively likely represents the absolute peak for what he can expect to do. His baserunning and defense cost him in total value and they aren’t likely to get any better, either. At age 31, he is at a level where we expect to see some decline offensively. As a result, Trumbo isn’t likely to provide any more value than the qualifying offer he received from the Orioles. Given his age and total value as a player, he certainly isn’t worth a multi-year deal, and because the team that signs him will lose a draft pick next season, he might not even be worth $10 million to sign.

Trumbo-40hr-wrc.png

Trumbo-WAR-40-HR.png

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good post COC. Not going to quote it again and clog the board. 

But Eww on Trumbo's real production. Considering all that and what's left, I'd still be fine with a deal similar to the 4/52 we offered him. I'm giving extra weight to the fact that we need to win now though. 

So overpay Trumbo when similar production is available for less because: "win now"?

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good post COC. Not going to quote it again and clog the board. 

But Eww on Trumbo's real production. Considering all that and what's left, I'd still be fine with a deal similar to the 4/52 we offered him. I'm giving extra weight to the fact that we need to win now though. 

Keep in mind a lot of those folks keeping company with him on the wRC+ chart played for the Rockies.

Can someone please clarify the Orioles' offer that has since been "taken off the table"?  I now keep seeing 4/$52, but as I remember it, the Orioles said they offered a three year deal with a club option that, if exercised, would bring it to the 4/$52 range.  Am I remembering that wrong?

“I’m not [disciplined enough] in a lot of people’s eyes, but that’s the way I’m most efficient. I’ve tried both. I’ve tried to be a high-walk guy, and that version of me is not even a major-league-caliber player. I have opinions on plate discipline, and the best version of me is the one that’s aggressive.” — Mark Trumbo, Orioles slugger, April 2016

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/fangraphs-qa-and-sunday-notes-the-best-quotes-of-2016/

The As article should be re-titled. "Someone wants you to believe the As would pay for Trumbo now after losing all revenue sharing and comp balance picks going forward. "

5 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Can someone please clarify the Orioles' offer that has since been "taken off the table"?  I now keep seeing 4/$52, but as I remember it, the Orioles said they offered a three year deal with a club option that, if exercised, would bring it to the 4/$52 range.  Am I remembering that wrong?

Orioles had a deal with vesting that would have paid between 52 and 56 million over four seasons. That offer is no longer open for his agents to agree to. Though it is open to being negotiated as a quick consession. If Trumbo's camp lowers their sights. I think you will need to see a balloon floated about another right handed power bat of interest to the Orioles and then it will happen quickly. 

Archived