Update: O's sign Trumbo to 3yr/$37 mil deal

Dark Helmet

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

If thats what it takes to win, this season, yes.

He can play well in ST, he will force his way onto the Roster.

And then we will be stuck with Trumbo in RF costing as many runs with the glove as he produces with the bat. I think there are plenty of other ways to spend $17M to improve the club more than Trumbo. 

This seems like a high salary but the way the off season has gone maybe this is the new norm.  Just look at the NBA this off season a few guys got huge money and people went crazy and then those numbers just became the norm.  I think team salaries are really peaking right now so we see lots of big time contracts.  Look at Andrew Miller deal that was thought of as way high and same with o'day but now looking back at it those were team friendly deals. 

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

And then we will be stuck with Trumbo in RF costing as many runs with the glove as he produces with the bat. I think there are plenty of other ways to spend $17M to improve the club more than Trumbo. 

I think thats an overstatment, that he hurts with his glove as much as he helps with his bat.

If he was that bad, the team wouldnt have him out there.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Wow. According to Roch on Twitter the O's offered 4/$70M, and Trumbo is holding out for 4/$80M. I really hope somebody beats our offer, but I have a feeling we are already bidding against ourselves. That is a lot for a 1 WAR OF/DH

I don't read this to say that the Orioles are offering $70-75 million, but rather that Trumbo's side is showing flexibility to accept $70-75 million, rather than the $80 million asking price.  Big difference.  This doesn't say what the Orioles have offered, and my guess is that it is considerably less.

10 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I don't read this to say that the Orioles are offering $70-75 million, but rather that Trumbo's side is showing flexibility to accept $70-75 million, rather than the $80 million asking price.  Big difference.  This doesn't say what the Orioles have offered, and my guess is that it is considerably less.

OK, reading it again you are right. I am back in off the ledge now, thank you very much. I still don't like that we are already going to 4 years on him. I suppose I could live with 4/$50M. I still think there are better ways to spend that money. 

11 minutes ago, Number5 said:

You're exactly right.  Nothing in there says the Orioles offered 4/$70.  Reading comprehension these days.....page 3 before someone points that out.

2:06pm: ESPN’s Buster Olney reports (on Twitter) that the Orioles don’t get the sense that they’re close in talks with Trumbo, and they could move on to other targets at this point.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/orioles-made-four-year-offer-to-mark-trumbo.html

Well, it looks like either the O's are calling his bluff or genuinely looking at presumably cheaper options.

Archived