Update: O's sign Trumbo to 3yr/$37 mil deal

Dark Helmet

1 minute ago, Babypowder said:

Carter career wRC+ of 112, OPS .777, wOBA .336

Trumbo wRC+ 111, OPS .776, wOBA .332

You'd prefer Trumbo for 4/~70 over Carter at like 1/8 if they are DHing?

And the Brewers kept him around why, if he is so good and still cheap?

Yes, they invested in Thames, but some don't believe his game translates well back to the big leagues here.

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Redskins Rick said:

And the Brewers kept him around why, if he is so good and still cheap?

Yes, they invested in Thames, but some don't believe his game translates well back to the big leagues here.

He's a horrid defender, they can't DH him and they didn't want to pay him 8 if he has to play the field.

I don't think Carter is a good player, but Trumbo isn't either. If they are both slated to DH, they're essentially the same hitter.

2 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

He's a horrid defender, they can't DH him and they didn't want to pay him 8 if he has to play the field.

I don't think Carter is a good player, but Trumbo isn't either. If they are both slated to DH, they're essentially the same hitter.

Maybe if Dan gives Buck a bad enough defender Buck will DH him.  Oh wait Buck still managed to put Pedro into the field last year...

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe if Dan gives Buck a bad enough defender Buck will DH him.  Oh wait Buck still managed to put Pedro into the field last year...

Yeah, it's a stretch. That full time DH reluctance is why this Trumbo talk is scary though. If Trumbo is playing the outfield regularly, his absolute ceiling is major league average. He was a 2 win player in his career offensive season because he plays the outfield like a potted plant.

If he's set to DH, then you still don't pay him what he's looking for because you can get his level of production at DH for far less than he is asking.

It doesn't make sense to sign him for what he wants as a DH or as an outfielder.

On Monday, December 05, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Aristotelian said:

And then Mancini languishes in AAA for another season.

Not if the plan is to platoon Mancini/Kim at DH. I doubt Trumbo will be signed to be just a DH. I don't necessarily want Trumbo back at the rumored price. 

13 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Not if the plan is to platoon Mancini/Kim at DH. I doubt Trumbo will be signed to be just a DH. I don't necessarily want Trumbo back at the rumored price. 

That would still impede Mancini's development while offsetting 80% of Trumbo's value. I just don't see the point. Then again, I didn't see any rational case for giving up the pick for Gallardo when Worley or Wilson would have been just as good.

29 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

That would still impede Mancini's development while offsetting 80% of Trumbo's value. I just don't see the point. Then again, I didn't see any rational case for giving up the pick for Gallardo when Worley or Wilson would have been just as good.

I don't disagree with you. It just seems Mancini might not be in the OF plans either way. DD says he's ok with a Kim/Rickard platoon. And it seems they want to go out and get the other OF.

16 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I don't disagree with you. It just seems Mancini might not be in the OF plans either way. DD says he's ok with a Kim/Rickard platoon. And it seems they want to go out and get the other OF.

I agree.  We won't be seeing Mancini in the OF. 

I think ideally you get a LH bat who can DH and play part time in the OF and find a RH bat to be your primary right fielder.  At least one of those is going to have to come via trade.  If Trumbo is resigned I think they will try to work it out where he's the RF against LHP.  DH against RHP.  So that limits his exposure on defense.  

At the end of the day, we need two guys who can play in the OF.  A righty and a lefty.  

12 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I agree.  We won't be seeing Mancini in the OF. 

I think ideally you get a LH bat who can DH and play part time in the OF and find a RH bat to be your primary right fielder.  At least one of those is going to have to come via trade.  If Trumbo is resigned I think they will try to work it out where he's the RF against LHP.  DH against RHP.  So that limits his exposure on defense.  

At the end of the day, we need two guys who can play in the OF.  A righty and a lefty.  

I agree. I wish we could get Carlos Gomez. I think the O's could get his offense back on track. Then trade Brach for Granderson. 

Archived