Some milestones Adam Jones is likely to pass in 2017

Frobby

So far this year, Jones has tied Rafael Palmeiro for 5th on the Orioles' all time HR list, passed Brian Roberts for 11th on the games played list, passed Roberts for 9th on the at bats list and passed Roberts for 8th on the hits list.  Coming very soon:

- 2 hits to pass Ken Singleton for 7th on the all-time hits list.

- 6 more runs to pass Nick Markakis for 8th on the runs scored list.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jones passed Singleton on the hits list (now 7th, behind Markakis) and is tied with Markakis for 8th on the runs list (behind Bumbry).   Next up: 5 RBI to pass Brady Anderson for 6th on the RBI list.   

Jones also had his 1500th major league hit last night, including his hits with the Mariners.    He's 27th among active players.    

4 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

He'll need health, but Jones has a shot at 3000 hits.  

I doubt he gets there.    He's got a solid shot at 2500.

As an aside, Nick Markakis should be passing 2000 hits later this year.    He's currently 11th among active players.   

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I doubt he gets there.    He's got a solid shot at 2500.

As an aside, Nick Markakis should be passing 2000 hits later this year.    He's currently 11th among active players.   

Like I said, he'll need health.  At the end of his age 31 season, he should have around 1650 hits.  Guys like Beltran, Hunter, Finley all accumulated 1000 to 1400 hits after their age 31 season.  Jones has averaged close to 170 hits a season since he became a full time player.  If he averages 150 hits and plays at 40, he's right there.

I wouldn't bet on it, but he has more of a chance than I thought before I looked at his numbers today.

Jones' most similar player through age 30 (hitting wise) is Andre Dawson.  Dawson is also his closest comp for his age 29 and 30 seasons.

Dawson moved to RF at age 29.  He finished with 2774 career hits and 438 career HR.  I think Jones has the potential to follow a similar track.

• 3 weeks later...

Last night, Jones passed Brady Anderson for 6th place on the Orioles' all-time RBI list, with 745.    Next up: Ken Singleton, with 766.    That should happen in the next couple of months, but once he passes Singleton, it's not clear that he'll get any higher.

1.  Ripken 1695

2.  B. Robinson 1357

3.  Murray 1224

4.  Powell 1063

He couldn't reach Powell until at least 2020, and he'd need to be extended and play well to reach him.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

For a "star" player he has the worst AB's of any player on the team.    He does produce though.   Had a 2-2 count last night after not even one pitch being close.

I'm glad he's on the team, but hope they don't extend him.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm glad he's on the team, but hope they don't extend him.

Just now, RZNJ said:

We have to hope the owner doesn't get involved.   Good luck.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet he gets extended.    

Archived