Defensive Outfielder

theobird

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

If you want a defensive OF with a poor bat, Austin Jackson is still out there.

I don't know if he's even above average at this point.

Look at his Statcast chart.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/player?player_id=457706&pos=CF&player_type=batter&season=2016&tab=defense_tab#

Now Adam Jones

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/player?player_id=430945&pos=CF&player_type=batter&season=2016&tab=defense_tab#

Now Kevin Kiermaier

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/player?player_id=595281&pos=CF&player_type=batter&season=2016&tab=defense_tab#

We go round and round about this in numerous threads and the answer has been always so simple.  We had a guy that knew how to play our RF.  DD lied to him and prolly didnt really even offer him.  Majority of fan base wants him back.  And we continue to sit idle.  Meanwhile he "appears" to give a fanbase answer when not wanting to sign Bautista.  #BRINGNICKBACK

4 minutes ago, Horsepower said:

We go round and round about this in numerous threads and the answer has been always so simple.  We had a guy that knew how to play our RF.  DD lied to him and prolly didnt really even offer him.  Majority of fan base wants him back.  And we continue to sit idle.  Meanwhile he "appears" to give a fanbase answer when not wanting to sign Bautista.  #BRINGNICKBACK

I thought this thread was about bringing in a good defensive outfielder?

Pagan seems to be the best option of the FA available.  Play him everyday in left with platoons in right (Smith/Rickard) and DH (Kim/Mancini).  

I still like Rasmus as a bounce back candidate but either he or Kim would need to play everyday.  

5 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Pagan seems to be the best option of the FA available.  Play him everyday in left with platoons in right (Smith/Rickard) and DH (Kim/Mancini).  

I still like Rasmus as a bounce back candidate but either he or Kim would need to play everyday.  

I would be ok with this too. I really do not want another DH. Kim would get the majority of the DH at bats in this scenario, and it is a good way to ease Mancini into ML baseball. The defense is much improved.

24 minutes ago, Horsepower said:

Nick, Bautista, and Trumbo are not even close to being good outfielders. 

2 minutes ago, weams said:

Nick, Bautista, and Trumbo are not even close to being good outfielders. 

Being a little hard on Nick.  He had an even DRS last year and was + 10 in 2015.  His arm and the way he plays the right field scoreboard make him pretty good in Camden Yards.  Not saying I want him back necessarily, but he would certainly improve the defense.  

12 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Being a little hard on Nick.  He had an even DRS last year and was + 10 in 2015.  His arm and the way he plays the right field scoreboard make him pretty good in Camden Yards.  Not saying I want him back necessarily, but he would certainly improve the defense.  

I thought his assist numbers were way down the last two years?

Am I mistaken?

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I thought his assist numbers were way down the last two years?

Am I mistaken?

They do appear to be down a bit.  I'm not sure what that's a product of though.  Assists can be a fluky number, but I honestly haven't seen him play enough in Atlanta over the last two years to make an assessment on his arm.  Unless he's had some injury I don't imagine his arm strength would be much different from two years ago.  

Archived