Defensive Outfielder

theobird

35 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Being a little hard on Nick.  He had an even DRS last year and was + 10 in 2015.  His arm and the way he plays the right field scoreboard make him pretty good in Camden Yards.  Not saying I want him back necessarily, but he would certainly improve the defense.  

Nick was a very nice outfielder when he had his arm and before the injuries. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

They do appear to be down a bit.  I'm not sure what that's a product of though.  Assists can be a fluky number, but I honestly haven't seen him play enough in Atlanta over the last two years to make an assessment on his arm.  Unless he's had some injury I don't imagine his arm strength would be much different from two years ago.  

Well I'm just sitting here looking at this ARM stat thingie Fangraphs have.  I'm not an expert but when he was with the O's his ARM numbers were in the positives and the last two years with the Braves they were -5.8 and -3.1.

That seems bad.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I wonder if we could have traded Gallardo for Dyson?    The Mariners apparently preferred Gallardo to Karns and/or Dyson to Smith.    Dyson would have filled the bill defensively, and though he's not the hitter Smith is, he's been worth 10.4 fWAR the last 4 years.    However, it may be that the Royals were looking to get younger and trim payroll.   

Royals were looking to get players who have years of team control, so they wouldn't have had any interest in Gallardo

I believe the O's would consider playing Rickard or Tavarez as defensive upgrades.  in spite of what metrics show.   I know some here do not agree.   

Both Kim and Trumbo are below average fielders in terms of range.   I think the O's look at Rickard and Tavarez range as closer to average or slightly above average.

I doubt the O's sign an above average fielding/no hit outfielder at this point.  

I do wonder if the O's are totally committed to keeping Kim since they acquired Smith.  I think a lot depends on what Rickard and Tavarez show in ST as outfielders and leadoff hitters.

13 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Being a little hard on Nick.  He had an even DRS last year and was + 10 in 2015.  His arm and the way he plays the right field scoreboard make him pretty good in Camden Yards.  Not saying I want him back necessarily, but he would certainly improve the defense.  

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I thought his assist numbers were way down the last two years?

Am I mistaken?

12 hours ago, ChuckS said:

They do appear to be down a bit.  I'm not sure what that's a product of though.  Assists can be a fluky number, but I honestly haven't seen him play enough in Atlanta over the last two years to make an assessment on his arm.  Unless he's had some injury I don't imagine his arm strength would be much different from two years ago.  

Nick was a GG nominee in 2016.   Stats on his arm are mixed.   Fangraphs' ARM has him at -3.1 but BB-ref shows his hold rate of 52.2% was well above league average of 47.2%.    In 2015 after his neck surgery his arm was clearly weakened but he seems to have recovered well after a normal offseason of working out.   He'd be a huge defensive upgrade over Trumbo.   There's also no reason to think that he's available or that the Braves and Orioles are a good trade matchup.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Nick was a GG nominee in 2016.   Stats on his arm are mixed.   Fangraphs' ARM has him at -3.1 but BB-ref shows his hold rate of 52.2% was well above league average of 47.2%.    In 2015 after his neck surgery his arm was clearly weakened but he seems to have recovered well after a normal offseason of working out.   He'd be a huge defensive upgrade over Trumbo.   There's also no reason to think that he's available or that the Braves and Orioles are a good trade matchup.  

TBM?

206861_1862736778748_6872489_n.jpg?oh=66

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

You guys are missing the obvious choice: Alvarez. Boras has assured us that he can handle the OF, and let's face it he certainly has the physical look of a fleet footed corner OF!

15 hours ago, Horsepower said:

We go round and round about this in numerous threads and the answer has been always so simple.  We had a guy that knew how to play our RF.  DD lied to him and prolly didnt really even offer him.  Majority of fan base wants him back.  And we continue to sit idle.  Meanwhile he "appears" to give a fanbase answer when not wanting to sign Bautista.  #BRINGNICKBACK

What's your source for this drivel. Don't tell me, your service entrance?

16 hours ago, theobird said:

I would be ok with this too. I really do not want another DH. Kim would get the majority of the DH at bats in this scenario, and it is a good way to ease Mancini into ML baseball. The defense is much improved.

Yeah, and by "much improved" I would say the OF defense would go from "abysmal" to "league average" if we add Pagan.  And if our offense hits like it's supposed to, league average OF defense is good enough.  

16 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I would venture to guess that Nick would still be better than Pagan or Seth Smith would be in right, but only by the slightest of margins.  He would probably be markedly better than either of them at home, but worse on the road.  

Rasmus would be nice for his defensive flexibility and superlative ability in general with the glove.  But his lopsided splits would make it tough to keep room on the roster for Rasmus, Kim, Smith, Rickard/Tavarez, and Mancini.  I guess you could make it work by playing Kim everyday and shifting Kim to left against lefties with Rickard/Tavarez in right and Mancini DH, with Rasmus waiting in the wings as the late inning defensive sub vs lefty starters.  It would be easier to justify Pagan because although his glove is clearly worse than Rasmus, he is someone you could easily justify playing daily with fairly even splits and a much better bat than Rasmus overall.  With Pagan, you'd have flexibility to contract the roster to four outfielders (or five if you want to count Flash), whereas you'd take a major hit at the plate if you tried to do that with Rasmus.  

32 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

I would venture to guess that Nick would still be better than Pagan or Seth Smith would be in right, but only by the slightest of margins.  He would probably be markedly better than either of them at home, but worse on the road.  

I disagree. 

On 1/8/2017 at 11:50 AM, theobird said:

I really want the Orioles to get a defensive outfielder. I think it needs to be a RH hitter as well and someone who can play CF. I know I will get flogged because my suggestion is not a power hitter, or a great hitter at all. But he is an excellent defensive outfielder. Peter Bourjos.

I get what you're saying, but it really revolves around how things shake out with Trumbo. If they don't resign Trumbo then they need to replace his offense and someone like Saunders, who's more of  middle ground (i.e., good with the bat, but just ok on defense) might be a better fit. 

Archived