Defensive Outfielder

theobird

37 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I get what you're saying, but it really revolves around how things shake out with Trumbo. If they don't resign Trumbo then they need to replace his offense and someone like Saunders, who's more of  middle ground (i.e., good with the bat, but just ok on defense) might be a better fit. 

Rasmus would be a good fit but it seems like it doesn't work out with him playing here for whatever reason.  Pagan would be my choice if we didn't go with Trumbo or Bautista.  

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does getting Granderson from the Mets still make the most sense for RF for the Orioles? Since they seem to be still going after another LHH he seems to make the most sense. He's a lefty that can play everyday and allow you to limit the platoons to LF and DH with Smith/Rickard and Kim/Mancini. He can also hit in the lead-off spot and while his OBP isn't phenomenal, it's better than most on the team. 

11 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Does getting Granderson from the Mets still make the most sense for RF for the Orioles? Since they seem to be still going after another LHH he seems to make the most sense. He's a lefty that can play everyday and allow you to limit the platoons to LF and DH with Smith/Rickard and Kim/Mancini. He can also hit in the lead-off spot and while his OBP isn't phenomenal, it's better than most on the team. 

That would be my plan A.  And if you can get Jennings super cheap, do that and carry Mancini.  If not, Mancini and Rickard/DAlvarez.  I'm not all that concerned about giving Tavarez back and I assume that the other rule V guy can go on the 60-day DL.

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

That's basically the argument for Pagan as well -- although I freely admit that Pagan is a poor man's Granderson without the power.  But he'd be cheaper than Granderson and you wouldn't have to give up players to get him.  

1 hour ago, backwardsk said:

That would be my plan A.  And if you can get Jennings super cheap, do that and carry Mancini.  If not, Mancini and Rickard/DAlvarez.  I'm not all that concerned about giving Tavarez back and I assume that the other rule V guy can go on the 60-day DL.

Yeah, a certain someone in this organization is going to  need an "intervention" for their Rule 5 addiction.  This season is NOT the year to do it, unless one of these blokes just knocks everyone's socks off in ST or somebody else gets hurt.  

1 hour ago, FanSince88 said:

Yeah, a certain someone in this organization is going to  need an "intervention" for their Rule 5 addiction.  This season is NOT the year to do it, unless one of these blokes just knocks everyone's socks off in ST or somebody else gets hurt.  

Interesting to note, 5 of the 10 playoff teams made a Rule 5 selection after the season.    So, it's not like contenders never do it.   Making at least one Rule 5 pick six years in a row, and keeping at least 4 such picks through a full season in a five-year span, is probably unique to the Orioles, though I haven't checked.

2 hours ago, FanSince88 said:

That's basically the argument for Pagan as well -- although I freely admit that Pagan is a poor man's Granderson without the power.  But he'd be cheaper than Granderson and you wouldn't have to give up players to get him.  

My only question is how will Pagan fair in right? To be honest, the same question can be asked of Granderson. I just assume he's a better option defensively there since he's played there in recent seasons while Pagan's been primarily in LF and CF. The main question--I guess--would be which of the two has a stronger arm. 

3 hours ago, jamalshw said:

If we bring in Granderson, then one of Rickard and Mancini has to go. Position players would be Davis 1B (1), Schoop 2B (2) , Hardy SS(3) , Machado 3B (4), Jones CF (5), Kim LF (6), Granderson RF (7), Smith DH (8), Castillo C (9), Flaherty UI (10), and Joseph/Pena C (11). That would leave one spot for Rickard/Mancini/Tavarez/Santander. Unless Mancini is part of the trade. 

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

If we bring in Granderson, then one of Rickard and Mancini has to go. Position players would be Davis 1B (1), Schoop 2B (2) , Hardy SS(3) , Machado 3B (4), Jones CF (5), Kim LF (6), Granderson RF (7), Smith DH (8), Castillo C (9), Flaherty UI (10), and Joseph/Pena C (11). That would leave one spot for Rickard/Mancini/Tavarez/Santander. Unless Mancini is part of the trade. 

Why wouldn't we have 13 position players and 12 pitchers like we mostly do?

2 hours ago, FanSince88 said:

Pagan had a weird year in 2016.  He hit 12 home runs, six at home and six on the road.  Unusual power for him (he's only topped 10 HR one other season).  Look at his home/road splits:

Home - 270 PA, .321/.362/.486 (848), 6 HR, 36 RBI, 121 TB

Away - 273 PA, .232/.301/.350 (651), 6 HR, 19 RBI, 86 TB

Does this mean he benefited from hitting in a large park?  Idunno.

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Rasmus would be a good fit but it seems like it doesn't work out with him playing here for whatever reason.  Pagan would be my choice if we didn't go with Trumbo or Bautista.  

I just don't see Buck signing off on Rasmus. He's not a Buck type of guy. That's why I suggested Saunders. At the end of the day that's who I think they'll get. And Trumbo coming back is 50 / 50. 

Archived