Mark Reynolds Accepts Minor League Deal?

Rene88

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2017/2/1/14480638/rockies-sign-mark-reynolds?utm_campaign=chriscotillo&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

gotta think Pedro Alvarez and other DH types are there for a minor league deal as well. Chris Carter to Japan?

Mark Reynolds only hits HR's when he hits. I see what you're getting at, but I think it will be signing spree right before ST. Pedro will be part of a platoon with someone at DH, and Carter will get a shot somewhere, I think Anaheim if they want to put him at 1B and DH Pujols. 

1 minute ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Mark Reynolds only hits HR's when he hits. I see what you're getting at, but I think it will be signing spree right before ST. Pedro will be part of a platoon with someone at DH, and Carter will get a shot somewhere, I think Anaheim if they want to put him at 1B and DH Pujols. 

Word today was Carter might end up in Japan.

Definitely not a good year to be a power-hitting DH. Reynolds had a decent 2016 but Napoli, Alvarez, and Carter have all been better overall hitters than Reynolds over the past few years so I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of them get better deals.

But maybe not. I was surprised to hear the Carter Japan suggestion. I guess there just aren't many contenders who are truly power starved or have 1b holes. And even for just a million or two, the bad teams may not want to pay a one-dimensional player to take at-bats from other potential pieces. And there are probably a lot of teams who already have Mancini-type AAAA players who could put up a .700something OPS from the DH/1b spot and these guys just aren't enough of an upgrade from that. 

Maybe now I've convinced myself that you're right about the minor league deals! 

More evidence on how much the O's overpaid for Trumbo

Could easily had him for 2/20 with an option or even less

Could have signed Carter/Alvarez for 1/3 of Trumbo's cost, what a waste of money

Sometimes I think after the Toronto debacle that all DD wants to do is spend as much of PA's money as possible.

6 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Could have signed Carter/Alvarez for 1/3 of Trumbo's cost, what a waste of money

Sometimes I think after the Toronto debacle that all DD wants to do is spend as much of PA's money as possible.

Wait. Our Payroll is too HIGH?

9 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Whatever.

I've been told that the O's overpaying for Trumbo isn't worth discussing and we should just go and get behind the team.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How about waiting for the exact same product to go on clearance?  That's still OK right?  Get that 50% off thing going. I hear free agents tend to get marked down around this time of year.

Yeah, if you are ok with waiting until the next new thing is cool to own that product. Or storing it for use next thanksgiving. 

3 minutes ago, weams said:

Yeah, if you are ok with waiting until the next new thing is cool to own that product. Or storing it for use next thanksgiving. 

We have already established that you were willing to pay full price for the item in question.  If you don't need it until April why not wait?  Not like it is an in-demand item.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

We have already established that you were willing to pay full price for the item in question.  If you don't need it until April why not wait?  Not like it is an in-demand item.

So someone else could grab it at a 5% discount? Desire is a real thing. 

Archived