Jump to content

Orioles Met with Bourn's Agent (from Roch)


Rene88

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Fine on a split deal in case the rule 5's flame out in ST or after the first month ala Rickard last year.

But Rickard sure was a lot of fun to watch during that time, wow. I still think he gets beaten up by some unfairly. I hope he has a great year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think Roch was saying that the O's have met with Bourn's agent lately.  Just that it had occurred this off season.  I don't think this is new news.

Interesting that he would put it in his blog now then and a national syndicate picked it up. My guess is he covered it for a reason and where there is smoke, there is fire (so to speak). You could be right, but Bourn makes a lot of sense and most fans liked him during his time here. Makes sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Fine on a split deal in case the rule 5's flame out in ST or after the first month ala Rickard last year.

It's a slight exaggeration to say Rickard flamed out after the first month. 

April: .701 (99 PA)

May: .622 (97 PA)

June: .782 (51 PA)

July: : .751 (35 PA; last game was July 20)

Really what happened is that Rickard opened red hot for about 6 games (1.036 OPS), struggled for the next 50 games (.590 OPS) and then rebounded nicely over the final 28 games before he got hurt (.838).     There's really no telling where he would have ended up if he had stayed healthy.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

We need somebody to play OF against LHP and Bourn only has a career .644 OPS against lefties. I don't have a better name but I don't think Bourn is the best option. 

Agreed.    If we signed him, he'd be strictly a defensive replacement/pinch runner, with only occasional starts.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It's a slight exaggeration to say Rickard flamed out after the first month. 

April: .701 (99 PA)

May: .622 (97 PA)

June: .782 (51 PA)

July: : .751 (35 PA; last game was July 20)

Really what happened is that Rickard opened red hot for about 6 games (1.036 OPS), struggled for the next 50 games (.590 OPS) and then rebounded nicely over the final 28 games before he got hurt (.838).     There's really no telling where he would have ended up if he had stayed healthy.

 

 

And he also was red hot in ST I would think (I don't have the stats).Regardless, big fan. He looks like he is 12 though, LOL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not a fan of signing Bourn unless it's a minor league contract. I really don't see him as anything great at this point. His style sparked the team some last year because we were void of anything resembling speed and solid defense in the OF. As some have noted, I'd rather take a chance on Jennings or someone to bat against LHP. If we're going to go with a lefty reserve OF, I'd rather go with   Tavarez to see what he can do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Over 1.000 OPS in spring training.

Right he stopped getting 2-3 hits every game and instead got 1-2.  He had a bad month of May but turned it right around in June and July before he got hurt.  It really was disappointing that he didnt play the rest of the year.  It would have been great to keep that momentum going or at least learning a little more.  We can only hope he didnt lose something in that long stint off that a few weeks playing cant cure.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I am not a fan of signing Bourn unless it's a minor league contract. I really don't see him as anything great at this point. His style sparked the team some last year because we were void of anything resembling speed and solid defense in the OF. As some have noted, I'd rather take a chance on Jennings or someone to bat against LHP. If we're going to go with a lefty reserve OF, I'd rather go with   Tavarez to see what he can do. 

He might only get a minor league deal. If so, I hope it is with us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


  • Posts

    • I admit,I was ONE. I'm last to the dance. I was wrong, and I freely admit it. Mateo is electric when he is on a hit streak, and he is on one now. Offensively, defensively,on the bases, giving this team a jolt. Sure, he'll cool off, and he'll slump again, but we are all riding his wave right now . And wont doubt what he can be...ever again.
    • Beavers’ 152 WRC+ is second only to Kjerstad in the Orioles’ system. 
    • That's just it.  He's SO talented, I simply can't figure out why the slumps are SO bad and SO long.  I know that all players have hot streaks and cold spells, and while I largely rather have players who are more consistent, even if it means they may not have the insane highs that some have, the ups and downs are part of baseball.  But the peaks and the valleys are just so bloody extreme with Mateo it's hard to wrap my mind around it.  A Mateo hitting like he has this year is extremely valuable.  While I'm the #1 member of the 'Mateo haters' fan club, I'm an Os fan first and foremost.  If he can help the team win, then I'm all for it, and so far this year he certainly has.  I hope his cold spell is a long way away, and when it inevitably happens, I hope it is milder than it has been in the past, and lasts for a much shorter time.  With the way some of the rest of the lineup has been hitting, we need production out of Mateo, and fortunately we've been getting it so far.  
    • When I first read this trade, I thought we gave up the additional prospect. Seeing that I misread that, I think the Os just bought a prospect from the Brewers and decided to see the arm on the ML roster. This trade wasn’t about Vieria imo.
    • Stowers has barely played on this team the past 2 years.  Heston as well.   Mayo never.    Elias is like Chris Ballard with the Colts.  He loves his 'old vet' guys. 
    • It's weird seeing Grich without his mustache.  
    • First of all Stowers is in the majors. Perhaps you missed his 3 hit 4 RBI game. The reason that Heston and Mayo aren’t in the majors is because other young players are instead.   IE Cowser and Gunnar and Westburg and Stowers et al.  There are only so many roster spots   Mayo needs work on the defensive side.  Kjerstad is straight up blocked   This narrative that ME simply doesn’t want to play the prospects he worked so hard to accumulate is just so tired and lame. 
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...