Orioles Met with Bourn's Agent (from Roch)

Rene88

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Fine on a split deal in case the rule 5's flame out in ST or after the first month ala Rickard last year.

But Rickard sure was a lot of fun to watch during that time, wow. I still think he gets beaten up by some unfairly. I hope he has a great year.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think Roch was saying that the O's have met with Bourn's agent lately.  Just that it had occurred this off season.  I don't think this is new news.

Interesting that he would put it in his blog now then and a national syndicate picked it up. My guess is he covered it for a reason and where there is smoke, there is fire (so to speak). You could be right, but Bourn makes a lot of sense and most fans liked him during his time here. Makes sense.

27 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Fine on a split deal in case the rule 5's flame out in ST or after the first month ala Rickard last year.

It's a slight exaggeration to say Rickard flamed out after the first month. 

April: .701 (99 PA)

May: .622 (97 PA)

June: .782 (51 PA)

July: : .751 (35 PA; last game was July 20)

Really what happened is that Rickard opened red hot for about 6 games (1.036 OPS), struggled for the next 50 games (.590 OPS) and then rebounded nicely over the final 28 games before he got hurt (.838).     There's really no telling where he would have ended up if he had stayed healthy.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

We need somebody to play OF against LHP and Bourn only has a career .644 OPS against lefties. I don't have a better name but I don't think Bourn is the best option. 

Agreed.    If we signed him, he'd be strictly a defensive replacement/pinch runner, with only occasional starts.    

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It's a slight exaggeration to say Rickard flamed out after the first month. 

April: .701 (99 PA)

May: .622 (97 PA)

June: .782 (51 PA)

July: : .751 (35 PA; last game was July 20)

Really what happened is that Rickard opened red hot for about 6 games (1.036 OPS), struggled for the next 50 games (.590 OPS) and then rebounded nicely over the final 28 games before he got hurt (.838).     There's really no telling where he would have ended up if he had stayed healthy.

And he also was red hot in ST I would think (I don't have the stats).Regardless, big fan. He looks like he is 12 though, LOL.

I am not a fan of signing Bourn unless it's a minor league contract. I really don't see him as anything great at this point. His style sparked the team some last year because we were void of anything resembling speed and solid defense in the OF. As some have noted, I'd rather take a chance on Jennings or someone to bat against LHP. If we're going to go with a lefty reserve OF, I'd rather go with   Tavarez to see what he can do. 

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Over 1.000 OPS in spring training.

Right he stopped getting 2-3 hits every game and instead got 1-2.  He had a bad month of May but turned it right around in June and July before he got hurt.  It really was disappointing that he didnt play the rest of the year.  It would have been great to keep that momentum going or at least learning a little more.  We can only hope he didnt lose something in that long stint off that a few weeks playing cant cure.  

2 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I am not a fan of signing Bourn unless it's a minor league contract. I really don't see him as anything great at this point. His style sparked the team some last year because we were void of anything resembling speed and solid defense in the OF. As some have noted, I'd rather take a chance on Jennings or someone to bat against LHP. If we're going to go with a lefty reserve OF, I'd rather go with   Tavarez to see what he can do. 

He might only get a minor league deal. If so, I hope it is with us.

Archived