Joey Rickard

weams

2 minutes ago, Oriol3s said:

Call up Rickard now.  DFA Alvarez.

Or call up DJ Stewart if you want a lefty batter.  He can't be worse, right?

The team needs to start releasing players and bringing new players up.  It is bad enough they can't hit but they can't field either.   

1 minute ago, amdcpus said:

May as well just keep Santander for the next 2 weeks, send him down then, then bring up Rickard or someone else. Alvarez has a decent OBP.

Alvarez doesn't play the field, which limits lineups.  DFA Wright if you want to keep Alvarez for now.  The short bench is also hurting team flexibility.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Don't bring up Rickard, call up Mullins are Stewart.  No retreads.  

I don’t see how Rickard is a retread???  He’s a former Rule 5 guy that didn’t play in a lot in AAA and could be making adjustments.  

This season is over. 

Let the prospects develop. One, service clock issues. Two, let the guys develop. We will see them in a few months. 

11 hours ago, atomic said:

The team needs to start releasing players and bringing new players up.  It is bad enough they can't hit but they can't field either.   

I want to see the players who have good major league potential developed properly rather than being force fed to the majors before they’re ready.    If that means that Hays, Stewart and Mullins spend all year in the minors while the O’s field a lousy major league outfield, so be it.   In hindsight, I’m sorry they brought up Hays last September.    

29 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Also, Rickard is just doing his ST act a month late. I have no problem sending Santander down but in the long run he's probably better than most of the guys being mentioned. He's not hitting but I like what I've seen. Two more weeks or whatever until the rule 5 restrictions are done.  He might even turn it around.  

Rickard is a 4th outfielder. Not a good hitter.

Santander was terrible in the Arizona Fall league as well.  Perhaps he just isn't' a very good player.  

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Perhaps. He also was the best hitter at Bowie in the short time he was there last year. Also one of the best hitters in the Carolina League the year before.  He doesn't look overmatched to me. He'll hit if he stays or he'll hit if he goes down. Probably as good of hitting prospect as we've got.

Lots of guys can hit at single A at 21 but can't hit in the big leagues.  He is 23. Its not like he is 21 year old.  He isn't a good fielder and doubt he will ever be an adequate fielder.  So another DH candidate.  Oh Joy.  We already have Mountcastle who looks like he will be a DH too.  And who hit better on the same Arizona Fall League team as Santander 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I want to see the players who have good major league potential developed properly rather than being force fed to the majors before they’re ready.    If that means that Hays, Stewart and Mullins spend all year in the minors while the O’s field a lousy major league outfield, so be it.   In hindsight, I’m sorry they brought up Hays last September.    

Agree get them ready the right way, this season in another week or two at this rate is going to be a lost cause don't sacrifice the proper development of our younger players they are not going to save it.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Also, Rickard is just doing his ST act a month late. I have no problem sending Santander down but in the long run he's probably better than most of the guys being mentioned. He's not hitting but I like what I've seen. Two more weeks or whatever until the rule 5 restrictions are done.  He might even turn it around.  

Rickard is a 4th outfielder. Not a good hitter.

Rickard and Santander are two entirely different kind of players.   Joey is an on base guy.   Santander is potentially a power hitter who might hit for average also.   Santander has the potential to be a better all around player.  Joey is the guy you stick at the top of the lineup and hope some of what he is doing at AAA translates.   I'd like to see Joey play every day as the leadoff hitter for a while.   It may work or maybe not.   But I would like to watch it.

6 minutes ago, Natty said:

I guess the management is afraid if we send Santander down... Under rule 5 another team will snatch him right up.

Look at Santanders numbers ...

.159 .197 .270

Yea every team wants that, Right? 

Don't think we can even do that until the 44 days are up, think we have to offer him back to whatever team we got him from (so many rule 5 picks, I can't keep it straight).   Might as well hold on for just the bit longer now.  

19 hours ago, Natty said:

I guess the management is afraid if we send Santander down... Under rule 5 another team will snatch him right up.

Look at Santanders numbers ...

.159 .197 .270

Yea every team wants that, Right? 

The more likely scenario is that every team passes on him, then we have to offer him back to the Indians for $50k, and they take him back and put him in AA.   Unlike the other teams, the Indians don’t have to keep him in the majors if they take him back.