Issues with Brady?

notfast

38 minutes ago, dan-O said:

I remember reading something that "some people in the organization" really want Wright to make the team. I think we know who that is now. Certainly Wright has looked better, but I'm not sure he's going to be what Brady thinks he can be. 

And rumors that some wanted Wieters back, but reading the article it doesn't sound like Wieters liked Brady's presence in the clubhouse for whatever reason. Personally, I think Brady's influence on player contracts is where he is most needed: See the Fowler debacle last year as example #1A. Where was Brady then?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FlipTheBird said:

Yet, by the same token, we know Adam Jones never hesitates to speak his mind... and his review of Brady was about as positive as you can get. Wieters came off like sour grapes after what's happened with him the last two offseasons.

Sour grapes or a different viewpoint? What exactly happened to Matt? Last year they tendered him a QO and this year they didn't. I don't know why he would have an ax to grind with the organization. Perhaps not all 25 players want him in the clubhouse.

Have to wonder if Boras wasn't a key to this story with some of the comments in it. 

The fact that Buck and Dan are on board with Brady is crucial. 

48 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

Yeah, this sort of stuff probably happens in every organization. Does anyone think Buck would allow a "cancer" in the clubhouse? Wieters should have worked out with Brady more and maybe he'd be in better shape!

Buck always came across as Matt's biggest fan. Cancer is a strong word that is misplaced here. More about comfortable. 

47 minutes ago, dan-O said:

I remember reading something that "some people in the organization" really want Wright to make the team. I think we know who that is now. Certainly Wright has looked better, but I'm not sure he's going to be what Brady thinks he can be. 

Also we always heard how much Brady liked Reimold. 

I know I've been concerned about a VP who works out with players in the off season

If you work out with Brady are you more likely to make the club?

More likely to get a better arb offer?

Seems Brady should choose to be an executive or a coach, and it seem coaching is what he loves

I sure hope he isn't the successor to DD, and becomes responsible for all of the personnel decisions. I don't see that he has been properly groomed for that role.

32 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

An article that should scare everyone to death ends up drumming up support for the former (completely unqualified, hellbent on running the ENTIRE organization) player that "bleeds orange and black". Never change. 

Better than Angelos and sons hiring an executive that does the same thing Brady does. Its obvious the Angelos family still run the show. Your'e right there. But since they have all the money (and MASN), they aren't going away. 

Not a bad article at all.  I'm sure Little Kenny salivated for at least an hour at the prospect of writing both a responsible column about the Orioles and prosecuting his agenda all at the same time.

I posed the same question to Duquette: Who does Anderson report to?

“I wouldn’t say that he technically reports to me or Buck,” Duquette said. “The owner had hired him before I had gotten here, and the owner hired him directly.

I can't say I've ever found a situation like this to be productive long-term.  IIRC Orioles history before Duquette (and Anderson in his current role) bears this out.

I found this to be an incredibly well done piece by Rosenthal. Other than the "anonymous Minor league personnel," he got everyone on record. Some pretty eye opening stuff in here and it actually confirms some things I've been told behind the scenes over the years. Here's some key points for me:

• Brady is in a unique position that he basically works for Peter Angelos and not Dan Duquette, the Executive Vice President, Baseball Operations. Clearly I can understand why some would have concern with his role, but at the end of the day, the fact that Brady seems like a good guy and is all about helping the Orioles get better certainly seems to help him with most people. Duquette and Buck seem to work with him pretty well, at least on the surface. 
  • I look at Brady's role as a Swiss army knife who is there to help, but who doesn't have to get bogged down in one particular role. For a guy who is multi-talented, that's a good thing. For all the good things Duquette has done, the fact that he's loaded his staff with his croonies (Thomas, Ferreira, McIlvaine and Qualls) and "Harvard intern guys w/power" means he has his own guys up and down the organization who frequently do what they want with little oversight. Brady is a bit of a counterweight to that i guess, but more importantly, he's a guy with only one goal and that's to make the Orioles better. What's wrong with that?
  • Really surprised to see Duquette use the words, "pissed on" when talking about what Wallace and Chiti said about Brady. First, that seems unprofessional and second, it shows he harbors pretty big ill-feelings towards those two for leaving. 
  • I can understand where Brady gets frustrated with old school approaches to coaching in the majors and minors and honestly, with scouting as well. Baseball is a who you know business. That means there are lot of good ol boys that keep their mouths shut that keep jobs. It's a hard business to break into no matter how many good ideas or how smart you may be, that guy who's known the GM for 30 years is going to get the job. So maybe that guys shows up to a game or two and has to ask the minor league manager who the best players on his team because they don't know? Maybe that guy gets a major league or minor league coaching position or maybe that guy gets a Director's job when a hard working, smart baseball man below has to continue to "wait his turn". If Brady can help that in some way, that can only be a good thing.

Rosenthal loves to throw shade on the O's whenever he can.  Seems like some sour grapes from Wallace and Chiti, and Rosenthal is trying to trump it up into organizational dysfunction.  Anderson didn't get along all that well with Wallace and Chiti.  They disagreed on some aspects of player development.  Wieters didn't like that he had a locker in the clubhouse.  Okay, great.  Moving right along.  But since it's the Orioles, Rosenthal goes all Woodward and Bernstein.

I see Anderson's involvement as a positive.  Buck and Jones seem to be okay with it, so I'll take them at their word.

More examples of bad communication in the Orioles organization.

I'm not bothered by Brady's role itself, or his comments in the article. And I like the fact that Brady's approach is player-focused and positive-minded. But it's leadership's job to make sure people are mostly on the same page. If players are consistently being told conflicting messages by different coaches, including those coaches sometimes belittling the messages given by other coaches, that's a problem. And in my eyes the blame for that falls mostly on the higher-ups, whether it's Buck, DD, or even Angelos, for failing to enforce more cohesive communication among the various advisers. Of course not everyone's going to agree on everything, but it's much healthier when the disagreements are minimized or worked through.

Ehhh.....a front office guy with a locker in the locker room???  Even if he was just there occasionally.......that really doesn't make any sense to me.

I honestly don't have an opinion about Brady one way or the other.  But.....just considering his unusual role (being a "floater") and things like having his own locker....I can understand why he might make some players and some coaches uncomfortable. 

As far as the Chiti/Wallace deal....that seems like the perfect example of a negative effect of having a "floater" around who many people aren't certain of.  Did Chiti/Wallace overreact?  Maybe.....or maybe Brady was overstepping his poorly defined authority.  That's the kind of stuff that happens when there aren't effective controls in place and/or roles are misunderstood.  How do you handle someone who doesn't seem to have a job description and works directly for the owner? 

16 minutes ago, esmd said:

Rosenthal loves to throw shade on the O's whenever he can.  Seems like some sour grapes from Wallace and Chiti, and Rosenthal is trying to trump it up into organizational dysfunction.  Anderson didn't get along all that well with Wallace and Chiti.  They disagreed on some aspects of player development.  Wieters didn't like that he had a locker in the clubhouse.  Okay, great.  Moving right along.  But since it's the Orioles, Rosenthal goes all Woodward and Bernstein.

I see Anderson's involvement as a positive.  Buck and Jones seem to be okay with it, so I'll take them at their word.

I can understand a player being skeptical of a front office guy with a locker in the clubhouse.  I can also understand another playing not minding it.

Different people react to things differently....I don't think that necessarily makes anyone right or wrong. 

I guess my concern is that environment being created in the first place.  If it may be an issue.....then why allow it?  Why give Brady that extra benefit?  For crying out loud, they don't have room somewhere to get Brady an office? 

I guess I just can't wrap my head around him having a locker.....makes zero sense to me.

Archived