International signings

jcarm

This quote from Baseball America is very concerning regarding the Orioles:

"So after signing 45 international players in 2015, the Red Sox have signed zero players since the 2016-17 signing period opened in July. For the full 2016 calendar year, they did sign six players—that’s still more than the Orioles signed all year". 

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/international-reviews-boston-red-sox-2016/#oFe1uobwSbp4Eos7.97

It seems as if the Orioles aren't just not signing international players for big signing bonuses. They are hardly signing anyone at all. The Red Sox did not sign anyone because they were being penalized.

2 hours ago, jcarm said:

This quote from Baseball America is very concerning regarding the Orioles:

"So after signing 45 international players in 2015, the Red Sox have signed zero players since the 2016-17 signing period opened in July. For the full 2016 calendar year, they did sign six players—that’s still more than the Orioles signed all year". 

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/international-reviews-boston-red-sox-2016/#oFe1uobwSbp4Eos7.97

It seems as if the Orioles aren't just not signing international players for big signing bonuses. They are hardly signing anyone at all. The Red Sox did not sign anyone because they were being penalized.

Yep.

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Talk about a thread where nothing is going to happen. 

I'm sure at some point the O's will sign some guys.

Dan will say glowing things about them.

In a couple of years one will put up some stats that are mildly impressive.

A poster will point out that despite not spending heavily on international players the O's still produce prospects. 

7 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I mean, they have to be signing SOME guys because they field 2 teams in the Dominican.  But it obviously is not a priority to them, and this should not surprise anyone at this point.

Is it two teams currently?  I thought I heard it was back down to one. 

It starts with the owner.

The Os are outspent internationally by several $M annually by most of the rest of baseball.

It's incredible that an owner pocketing as much as $50M-$75M annually between his team and his RSN would allow that kind of spending disparity to exist when it comes to talent acquisition.

Archived