Any concern about Hardy?

Going Underground

11 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

A jump from Advanced-A to Double AA and to the bigs in the same season/year, doesn't happen, not even Manny did that.

o

It's rare, but Kyle Hudson did it in 2011.

He started the season at Advanced-A Frederick, then was promoted to AA-Bowie, then was promoted to AAA-Norfolk, then was called up to the Orioles.

o

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The te

Just now, OFFNY said:

o

He started the season at Advanced-A Frederick, then was promoted to AA-Bowie, then was promoted to AAA-Norfolk, then was called up to the Orioles.

o

2011, the team was probably in last place, and thats the only time you see things like this, when it doesn't matter. :):):)

18 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

Good pull, but to be clear, Hudson wasn't promoted because he deserved it.   Also, he was a 24-year old who needed to be on the 40-man roster before the Winter Meetings, so there wasn't a big downside (viz. protection from Rule 5 draft, starting to use options the next year, etc.) to having him on the roster in September.    Mountcastle doesn't need to be on the 40-man until after the 2019 season.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Good pull, but to be clear, Hudson wasn't promoted because he deserved itAlso, he was a 24-year old who needed to be on the 40-man roster before the Winter Meetings, so there wasn't a big downside (viz. protection from Rule 5 draft, starting to use options the next year, etc.) to having him on the roster in SeptemberMountcastle doesn't need to be on the 40-man until after the 2019 season.

o

Thanks.

I wasn't suggesting that there was a good chance that Mountcastle would be promoted to the Orioles in 2017. Rick said that it never happened, and Hudson's 2011 journey immediately came to my mind.

o

5 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Thanks.

I wasn't suggesting that there was a good chance that Mountcastle would be promoted to the Orioles in 2017. Rick said that it never happened, and Hudson's 2011 journey immediately came to my mind.

o

I didn't mean to criticize you at all -- as I said, that was a good pull!   There's also the case of Jeff Fiorentino, who was sent from Frederick directly to the majors on May 12, 2005, with only 5-6 weeks of Carolina League experience under his belt, and reached base in 7 of his first 10 plate appearances.

This is a bit of non-sequitur, but I remember when Hardy first came to the O's his batting stance was fairly unconventional.  He stood about as far away from the plate as I've seen any hitter stand, to the point where it looked like there was no way he'd be able to cover the outside corner.  I think he sets up closer to the plate these days, but I always appreciate a unique batting stance.

Some of the more unusual I recall among O's players were Harold Baines', BJ Surhoffs', Eric Davis' and of course the ever-changing stances of Cal.   I think Gary Sheffield probably takes the cake on wacky batting stances when it comes to non-O's that I've seen. 

1 hour ago, dan-O said:

Why, though? He's 20 and killing Frederick. He'll be bumped to AA this summer I think.

Mountcastle has a career 4.0% walk rate in AA right now. For comparison's sake, Jonathan Schoop had a 6% walk rate his last year in the minors. Schoop's walk rate was under 3.0% his rookie year....

16 hours ago, Emory Eagle said:

This is a bit of non-sequitur, but I remember when Hardy first came to the O's his batting stance was fairly unconventional.  He stood about as far away from the plate as I've seen any hitter stand, to the point where it looked like there was no way he'd be able to cover the outside corner.  I think he sets up closer to the plate these days, but I always appreciate a unique batting stance.

Some of the more unusual I recall among O's players were Harold Baines', BJ Surhoffs', Eric Davis' and of course the ever-changing stances of Cal.   I think Gary Sheffield probably takes the cake on wacky batting stances when it comes to non-O's that I've seen. 

Nice trip down memory lane, thanks!!!!!!!!!

Hardy was resigned because of his defense and the leadership he provides in the middle of the infield.  We've seen that when he's out, the team isn't the same defensively, whether it be with Manny, Flash, or Janish at SS.  Any offense he provides is a bonus, IMO.  That said, I've noticed he seems to not be himself defensively, and I am wondering if he has lost a step.  I think they need to consider other options for 2018.  I would consider trying to sign a defensive SS on a 1 year deal if they can find one.

That said, Hardy has a team option for '18 with a 2 million buyout, BUT, the option vests if he gets 600 plate appearances this year, or 1150 combined over last year and this year.  My guess is he might not hit the combined number since he missed some time on the DL last year, but if he can avoid the DL this year, I could see him hitting 600 plate appearances and them being stuck with him for 2018.  Unless he rebounds defensively, that might be a problem for next year.

2 minutes ago, esmd said:

Hardy was resigned because of his defense and the leadership he provides in the middle of the infield.  We've seen that when he's out, the team isn't the same defensively, whether it be with Manny, Flash, or Janish at SS.  Any offense he provides is a bonus, IMO.  That said, I've noticed he seems to not be himself defensively, and I am wondering if he has lost a step.  I think they need to consider other options for 2018.  I would consider trying to sign a defensive SS on a 1 year deal if they can find one.

That said, Hardy has a team option for '18 with a 2 million buyout, BUT, the option vests if he gets 600 plate appearances this year, or 1150 combined over last year and this year.  My guess is he might not hit the combined number since he missed some time on the DL last year, but if he can avoid the DL this year, I could see him hitting 600 plate appearances and them being stuck with him for 2018.  Unless he rebounds defensively, that might be a problem for next year.

He had 438 last year so the combined number is off the table.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He had 438 last year so the combined number is off the table.

He won't make 600 PA.    Buck's rested him twice already, and said he would have rested him over the weekend except that Schoop was out of the lineup.    

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He won't make 600 PA.    Buck's rested him twice already, and said he would have rested him over the weekend except that Schoop was out of the lineup.    

I agree.  My point was that the two year threshold is already out of his reach.

8 minutes ago, big_sparxx said:

There's an assumption that they will manage his AB's to ensure he doesn't reach 600, to ensure the contract clause isn't automatically engaged. Its a business decision now....

If he continues with a .430 OPS it won't just be a business decision. Soon they will have to consider whether Janish or Andino or Flaherty is the better option to let the team win.

The other night he absolutely squared up a fastball down the middle and it only carried to medium left center field. His bat speed is gone.

Archived