Dylan Bundy 2017

Frobby

5 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

You ever notice that the Orioles are the team that doesnt seem to make pitchers work hard for outs?

At the risk of fueling your narrative, I don't think there's any question that the Red Sox's hitters are more patient and better at making contact with tough pitches than the Orioles'.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Anyone who thinks Buck is going to skip starts and limit Bundy's innings have another thing coming.   Only thing that limits Bundy's innings are poor performance, arm fatigue, or injury.  

I think Buck and Dan have to try to prevent the arm fatigue.  It happened last year with Bundy.   He ended up pitching 110 IP.  His last half a dozen starts were a struggle.  It doesn't take  a genius  to figure that Bundy can't double his number of innings this year and not run into arm fatigue at some point.  

If the O's want to go deep into the playoff they are going to need Bundy to pitch in the post season.   One of the biggest decisions of the season is how to have Bundy ready for the post  season.  

I think Bundy takes his normal turn for the first two months.   But sometime in the summer that O's are going to need to figure out how to extend Bundy through the season and kept him effective..   Maybe a young pitcher emerges.. Maybe the O's add a veteran pitcher.  I don't know the answer.  But it seems unlikely that Bundy pitches 200 innings in the regular season this season.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I think Buck and Dan have to try to prevent the arm fatigue.  It happened last year with Bundy.   He ended up pitching 110 IP.  His last half a dozen starts were a struggle.  It doesn't take  a genius  to figure that Bundy can't double his number of innings this year and not run into arm fatigue at some point.  

If the O's want to go deep into the playoff they are going to need Bundy to pitch in the post season.   One of the biggest decisions of the season is how to have Bundy ready for the post  season.  

I think Bundy takes his normal turn for the first two months.   But sometime in the summer that O's are going to need to figure out how to extend Bundy through the season and kept him effective..   Maybe a young pitcher emerges.. Maybe the O's add a veteran pitcher.  I don't know the answer.  But it seems unlikely that Bundy pitches 200 innings in the regular season this season.

I don't know that the O's will feel that they have the luxury of giving Bundy extra rest so that he can be effective in the hypothetical post-season.     They have to get to the post-season first.    

Last year, Bundy threw 17.8 pitches per inning.    So far this year, It's 15.4.    If Bundy could sustain that (which I tend to doubt), he could throw quite a few more innings than last year without putting too much stress on his arm.     

They say every pitcher who pitches 30 starts has 6 to 8 with elite stuff, 6 to 8 with nothing and 15 or so where their stuff is okay.  It was clear last night that Bundy was struggling missing pitches badly and getting no help from the umpire on the ones he was putting on the black.

So I am encouraged that he kept the Orioles in the game for 6 innings.  Now the hitters need to step up.

8 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

You ever notice that the Orioles are the team that doesnt seem to make pitchers work hard for outs?

With how good bullpens are these days, putting runs on the board while keeping the starters pitch counts normal doesn't actually seem like so bad a thing.

12 minutes ago, Phantom said:

With how good bullpens are these days, putting runs on the board while keeping the starters pitch counts normal doesn't actually seem like so bad a thing.

I don't think it's about driving up total pitch counts per se -- though I'd still rather get a starter out in the 5th/6th inning than let him get through 7 and then face the other team's top two relievers.    It's more about making a pitcher work hard within an inning.     It's tough when the other team lays off a good two-strike pitch that's just a little outside the strike zone, or when they foul off 2-3 two-strike pitches in good locations.     It taxes the pitcher and makes him more prone to mistakes later in the inning.    

o

18 OUTS: 6 Strikeouts, 5 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play),  3 Lineouts (Including 1 Double Play), 2 Flyouts 

DYLAN MATTHEW BUNDYoo))oo (vs. BLUE JAYS, 4/16) )) [  

IP:;).ll) 6

H:)l..).  5 ))(1 Double, 4 Singles) ll

R:ll)lll) 0

BB:o.ll)1

SO:l)...l5

Pitches: l)  99 l(65 lStrikes, l34 lBalls)

2017 ERA: l) 1.860)

2017 WHIP: ll00.983 ) 13.33 Innings, 13 H/BB

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)0.235 ) 11 for 47   5 for 21

PITCHES BY INNING

10 .))(7lStrikes,  llll))Balls)

20 .))(13..Strikes,  )).))Balls)

16 .)ll(10.lStrikes,  )).))Balls)

18 )))l(11.lStrikes,  )).))Balls)

18 ..ll(13 )Strikes, ..olllBalls)

17 ....(11 )Strikes, ..olllBalls)

o

Just left the Rogers Centre after seeing the O's play 3. Bundy most likely not be a consistent 93-4 pitcher he was, but he can pitch, not just throw. He knows what he's doing out there and has a great presence. He changes speeds and keeps hitters guessing. It was fun to watch.

51 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Didn't see the early innings. Looked like a junk-baller after the 3rd. Fastball topping out at 91. Lots of change-ups and cutters. Fine with me as long as his arm holds out and he's effective.

This is interesting because last year he flashed consistently good velocity. Concerning that he's not 93-95 consistently. 

51 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

o

Just left the Rogers Centre after seeing the O's play 3. Bundy will most likely not be a consistent 93-94 pitcher he was, but he can pitch, not just throw. He knows what he's doing out there, and has a great presence. He changes speeds and keeps hitters guessing. It was fun to watch.

o

o

You bastard.

o

31 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

This is interesting because last year he flashed consistently good velocity. Concerning that he's not 93-95 consistently. 

It's very concerning.  He was consistently 91-94 last year and in August he was 95-97.  

He may able to be effective at 90-92 but I want him to be great.  This Jays offense is bad right now and he has faced it in two of his last three starts.  The way he's pitched is encouraging but I'm not sold yet.  I really hope the good velocity returns.  

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

It's very concerning.  He was consistently 91-94 last year and in August he was 95-97.  

He may able to be effective at 90-92 but I want him to be great.  This Jays offense is bad right now and he has faced it in two of his last three starts.  The way he's pitched is encouraging but I'm not sold yet.  I really hope the good velocity returns.  

Not worried.    First of all, he was hitting 93 consistently in the early innings.    Second of all, this guy is commanding four pitches.    It's a pleasure watching the hitters try to guess what's coming.    

Archived