Ubaldo Jimenez Today, 2017

OFFNY

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

While I'm under no illusions about Ubaldo, I'm not going to go nuts based on one poor start.   I still think he's capable of having a year like he did in 2015.     Despite what he did last year, I think he gets all of April and most of May before they even consider dropping him from the rotation.   

This is what I feel will happen also.  It may be Chris Tillman replacing Ubaldo Jimenez in the rotation when he (Tillman) is done with his MiLB starts.  I had stated in an earlier thread that Ubaldo over 30 starts will give 10 quality performances along with 10 clunkers and it will be the other 10 starts that would define his season.  Last nights start would not be considered a "Clunker" but more of an underwhelming performance. 0-0-1 will be his 30 start slash line.  The one start being quantified as a filler for the rotation.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Frobby said:

While I'm under no illusions about Ubaldo, I'm not going to go nuts based on one poor start.   I still think he's capable of having a year like he did in 2015.     Despite what he did last year, I think he gets all of April and most of May before they even consider dropping him from the rotation.   

The problem with that approach is that even as little as 1 team win can be the difference as to whether or not the O's are a playoff participant.

In 2015 Ubaldo's starter innings total = 184; thru May = 52
In 2016 Ubaldo's starter innings total = 135; thru May = 51.2

In 2015 Ubaldo's ERA = 4.11; thru May = 3.12
In 2016 Ubaldo's ERA = 5.07; thru May = 6.5

In 2015 the O's won 18 of 32 Ubaldo's starts; thru May, 5 of 9
In 2016 the O's won 13 of 26 Ubaldo's starts; thru May, 4 of 10

I believe that the O's would win more than 1/2 of the games started and match Ubaldo's starter innings total with any combination of: Lee, Aquino, Asher, Faulkner, Ynoa, Nuno, etc.

Buck on Ubaldo:

“Capable of better,” Showalter said. “You try to give guys a little pass with the weather. You’ve got to have a feel for the split with that weather and I think both home runs were splits that didn’t split properly. I think I’m right. He’s capable of better. Hopefully, when the weather warms up he gets a better feel for it, because he had a good one in the spring.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/04/showalter-on-britton-bullpen-smith-and-a-6-5-win.html

5 hours ago, thezeroes said:

This is what I feel will happen also.  It may be Chris Tillman replacing Ubaldo Jimenez in the rotation when he (Tillman) is done with his MiLB starts.  I had stated in an earlier thread that Ubaldo over 30 starts will give 10 quality performances along with 10 clunkers and it will be the other 10 starts that would define his season.  Last nights start would not be considered a "Clunker" but more of an underwhelming performance. 0-0-1 will be his 30 start slash line.  The one start being quantified as a filler for the rotation.

Man, if last night's performance was not a "clunker" I hate to see what one would be.   Unless by "clunker" you mean that he doesn't get out of the first inning.  

3 hours ago, AZRon said:

The problem with that approach is that even as little as 1 team win can be the difference as to whether or not the O's are a playoff participant.

In 2015 Ubaldo's starter innings total = 184; thru May = 52
In 2016 Ubaldo's starter innings total = 135; thru May = 51.2

In 2015 Ubaldo's ERA = 4.11; thru May = 3.12
In 2016 Ubaldo's ERA = 5.07; thru May = 6.5

In 2015 the O's won 18 of 32 Ubaldo's starts; thru May, 5 of 9
In 2016 the O's won 13 of 26 Ubaldo's starts; thru May, 4 of 10

I believe that the O's would win more than 1/2 of the games started and match Ubaldo's starter innings total with any combination of: Lee, Aquino, Asher, Faulkner, Ynoa, Nuno, etc.

I tend to agree.  I think Ubaldo's leash is going to be significantly shorter than it was last year.  That approach last year lasted until the first part of June and looked like this...

"Jimenez is 3-7 with a 6.89 ERA in 13 starts, including an outing Sunday when he allowed five runs and failed to get out of the first innings in a loss to the Toronto Blue Jays. The start came at the end of a stretch of seven starts where he averaged less than four innings per start and allowed 30 earned runs in 27 innings for a 10.00 ERA."     Baltimore Sun  June 14

I would add Wright, Wilson, Edwin Jackson to that group you mentioned and that if any of them step it up at Norfolk, that DD and Buck are not going to give Jimenez that kind of rope in a year when the team window is closing even more and Ubaldo's contract is up after this year-  for that reason alone I think Ubaldo gets much less rope to stay in the rotation this year compared to the last two years. 

o

13 OUTS:3 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 3 Flyouts, 3 Lineouts, 1 Strikeout, 1 Popout, 1 Foulout

UBALDJIMENEZ GARCIA o)))o  (vs. RED SOX, 4/12) )) [ 

IP:;)ll.l)4.33 )))  

H:)o.)) 8))l (1 Home Run, 2 Doubles, 5 Singles)

R:.)...) 5

BB:y).)

SO:l.ll) 1

Pitches: l) 104 0(67 Strikes, l37 Balls)

2017 ERA: l) 10.38 0

2017 WHIP: l) 2.076 0

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: . 0.375   ) 15 for 40

PITCHES BY INNING

14 ))l(11 oStrikes, ))31 )Balls)

18]ll.(12 l.Strikes, ll)61).Balls)

28 ..(18 l.Strikes, ll101l.Balls)

24 ))l(18 )Strikes, ..l]lllBalls)

20].l)(8)Strikes, ..12 )llBalls) ))) *

* ))) Jimenez recorded 1 outs before departing in the 5th inning.

o

Horrible as usual. And Buck needs to stop being so loyal to him. Jimenez is BAD, period. He needs to go. But one way or another, Buck needs to stop worrying about keeping him in a game to get him a win when he is clearly struggling.

58 minutes ago, joeyc said:

Horrible as usual. And Buck needs to stop being so loyal to him. Jimenez is BAD, period. He needs to go. But one way or another, Buck needs to stop worrying about keeping him in a game to get him a win when he is clearly struggling.

I don't think Buck leaving him in there had anything to do with trying to get Ubaldo a win.    Quite simply, you don't want to use your bullpen for 5 innings on a night when you've scored 9 runs, unless it becomes absolutely necessary.    Buck waited until he had no choice.    It may make you feel uncomfortable that he waited that long, but it was the prudent thing to do.   

1 hour ago, joeyc said:

You must've forgot that we paid him $10M.

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't think Buck leaving him in there had anything to do with trying to get Ubaldo a win.    Quite simply, you don't want to use your bullpen for 5 innings on a night when you've scored 9 runs, unless it becomes absolutely necessary.    Buck waited until he had no choice.    It may make you feel uncomfortable that he waited that long, but it was the prudent thing to do.   

I agree.  We have to start protecting the bullpen.  Givens has been worked pretty hard this year so far.  It's looking like we need:

1.  A healthy Tillman.

2.  A SP to emerge and be successful from the slew of arms we have in AAA/AA.  At least till the ASB.

3.  One of Chricton, Liranzo, Meisenger, R. Rodriguez, J. Garcia, T.Scott, Yacobonis, to come up here and be a dependable 5th/6th/7th inning guy.   They have to be somewhere between Givens and Drake.  

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

This.

Archived