Orioles Acquire Miguel Castro Designate Gunkel

weams

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

It's kind of a mystery why Castro has struck out so few batters (25 in 46 innings), with the stuff he has.     His command has gotten better and better as the year has progressed.    I feel confident whenever he takes the mound.  

Maybe he has the same issues as Chris Lee? Doesn't Lee have plus velocity, but really an inability to strike batters out?

Usually if that's the case, it's because their fastball is flat and throwing it too often in the zone.

My guess is that Castro has been living in the zone, but in the lower quadrants, so he's getting weak contact. Hitters can typically sit fastball, but aren't able to square up on it. But since they can basically guess fastball (he's only really throwing 3 pitches: a fastball, slider and a change)...probably why they're able to make contact. And he doesn't really throw his change all that often (I think something like 10% of the time or something).

5 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Wasn't he throwing 96 yesterday?

That change up that he threw to record his last out was nasty.  85 and faded away from the lefty.   I like this guy.  Roy has the good story on his personal background, but I like the Buck said he pitches every game like it's game 7 of the World Series.  

I'm tired of watching the Miley's, Ubaldo's, Gallardo's of the world nibble.  Quite frankly, I'm tired of watching them period.  Castro has an edge to him.  I really wish we'd just go ahead and put this guy in the rotation.  Another guy that I really like is Mike Wright.  He might not be rotation material this season, but I could see him filling the "Castro role" next year.  

We can't develop pitching?  Maybe if every pitcher was as hungry as Castro they would be willing to change.  He was essentially a one pitch pitcher when he made his debut for us.  Now that's changed.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

They were just raving about him on Wall to Wall. I'm guessing penciling him in as the #5 starter next year wouldn't be jumping the gun. Chalk this one up as (another) Duquette acquisition off the scrap heap that no one will ever mention, or downplay when it is convenient.

The Castro move is lauded regularly & in many posts by those who believe Duq has done a poor job. Some praised it the moment it was made. On the other hand, trading assets that someone else acquired, for a few more wins in the present, isn't something he deserves any credit for. Ironically - the only thing ignored on the OH is the praise these moves get from those who don't think he's a good GM. Post after post suggesting something that hasn't been ignored ...will be ignored. ?

There are so many claims that the Castro move will be ignored & that limitations put on him by ownership will be ignored ...while the posts proving the opposite are ignored. 

It would be nice to let him work on his offspeed stuff in the minors before putting him in the rotation. 

On August 24, 2017 at 4:50 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

That change up that he threw to record his last out was nasty.  85 and faded away from the lefty.   I like this guy.  Roy has the good story on his personal background, but I like the Buck said he pitches every game like it's game 7 of the World Series.  

I'm tired of watching the Miley's, Ubaldo's, Gallardo's of the world nibble.  Quite frankly, I'm tired of watching them period.  Castro has an edge to him.  I really wish we'd just go ahead and put this guy in the rotation.  Another guy that I really like is Mike Wright.  He might not be rotation material this season, but I could see him filling the "Castro role" next year.  

We can't develop pitching?  Maybe if every pitcher was as hungry as Castro they would be willing to change.  He was essentially a one pitch pitcher when he made his debut for us.  Now that's changed.  

We developed Castro? 

3 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

We developed Castro? 

I'd say yes. 22. Only 240 milb innings. Remember the story about McDowell being good with sinker/slider guys.  I think he's been big for Castro. 

Castro was a one pitch pitcher. Now he's got three pitches that he'll throw consistently. Same age. More developed than Tanner Scott. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

o

Entered the game with the bases loaded and 2 outs, and the Orioles desperately clinging to a 1-run lead.

In spite of the fact that he walked 3 batters, Castro still managed to give the Orioles yet another effective outing in a close game.

MIGUEL ANGEL CASTRO )))))))) (vs. RED SOX, 8/27)

1.67 llllShutout Innings

0 l....lHits )l

3 ll....Walks

2 )llll.Strikeouts

35 lllllPitches )(16 )Strikes, )19 )Balls)

2017 ERA:lllllllllll 2.64

2017 WHIP: ..l.l.l 1.042)  48.00 IP (50 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: ).210 )  (35 for 167)

o

On 8/24/2017 at 6:35 AM, Frobby said:

It's kind of a mystery why Castro has struck out so few batters (25 in 46 innings), with the stuff he has.     His command has gotten better and better as the year has progressed.    I feel confident whenever he takes the mound.  

But again, he gets SO's when he needs them - such as coming in with the bases loaded in a one run game yesterday.  And he averaged 1 SO per inning in the minors and has 57 SO's in his 80 MLB  innings, so I don't think there's an issue with SO's.  .  

14 minutes ago, Pheasants said:

He threw two strikes to his first batter and then wasted three pitches. According to the Boston announcers, two were wa-a-ay outside; none were close enough to tempt the batter.  If he'd bring those closer he might get more swings--and misses

His command was off yesterday when trying to hit the outside corner to left-hand batters.    Those pitches were frequently going very high and wide.    I don't think it was intentional.