Jim Bowden Believes The Orioles Will Need To Pay Manny Close To $400 Million To Lock Him Up Long-Term

TINSTAAPP

Machado is possibly the best defensive third baseman in American League history, making plays that even 16-time Gold Glove recipient Brooks Robinson admits he couldn’t have made during his years at the hot corner for the Orioles. Machado also is a 40-homer power bat who would be an elite shortstop if whoever signs him decides to move him to that position. There are many in the business who would prefer Machado over Harper. Frankly, either could end up being the highest paid player in history. Machado is a much better player than Giancarlo Stanton, so he’ll dwarf Stanton’s $325 million pact; and he’ll get more per season than Miguel Cabrera did when he signed his $31 million annual salary, because that’s now considered an “old” contract.

Machado would like to remain an Oriole and finish his career at Camden Yards, and it’s hard to believe Baltimore wouldn't step up and try signing him after giving Chris Davis and Mark Trumbo a combined $36 million per year. It makes way more sense for them to give that money to Machado, especially with the inexpensive young power bat of Trey Mancini on your roster. You can’t sign Davis and Trumbo and then tell Orioles fans you can’t afford Machado. A 12-year deal takes him only to age 38, which is why I think he’ll get that length in his monster contract, as well.

Early Prediction: 12 years, $33 million AAV
Total Value: $396 million

http://www.espn.com/blog/the-gms-office/insider/post?id=14124

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not out of the realm of possibility for him to command that much on the open market for all the reasons listed. Whether or not the Orioles will go there is highly questionable. I fear they've dawdled too long and could have locked him up for awhile much cheaper a couple of winters ago. But I don't think they want to buy out arbitration years for more than they would have to pay in arbitration, even if it saved them a fortune down the road. 

21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

With opt outs?     I think that's the best the team can do right now.    

It's going to take an opt out. In Manny's case, I have no issues giving him an opt out. I'd give him an opt out. And hope his knees hold up for 4 years, then let the Yankees or Dodgers have him until he's 38.

3 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Offer him the 10/300 with a 5-year player option.   The first 5 years would be for 146 million guaranteed (25, 28, 30, 31, 32 per season).   He'll then be 30 and could still make a killing after that.

FTFY.  Remember the O's don't do opt outs, just player options.

Small point, but I'm tired of reading stuff that says or implies that Manny is a better third baseman than Brooks was based on Brooks' comment (made a few times, I think) that Manny makes plays he couldn't have made,

I sure don't know whether Manny makes plays that Brooks couldn't have made in his prime. I doubt anyone else does either, including Brooks. Maybe you could reach such a conclusion after a detailed study of both players on film; even if that could be done, I'm pretty sure nobody has done it. I'm confident that Brooks has made these remarks not because he knows what plays he couldn't have made 50 years ago (!), but rather because, like the rest of us, he is extremely impressed by Manny's fielding ability and is a loyal fan of the Orioles (and therefore of Manny) and, unlike many of us, he is a generous, kind gentleman who is modest about his own accomplishments.

Bowden takes this one step further by saying Brooks "admits" that Manny makes plays he couldn't have made, as if someone had to drag that out of him. Comparisons of Manny's 3B play to that of Arenado, Beltre and other contemporaries are meaningful. Comparisons to Brooks, IMO, are not -- especially where what's being compared is not their overall defensive play but their ability to make specific spectacular plays. That's true, again IMO, even (or maybe especially) when Mr. Third Baseman is making the comparison.

54 minutes ago, dan-O said:

Just depends on the years. He'll sign for much less than $400 mil, though. Bowden is an idiot.

Even idiots are sometimes correct.   $396 mm would surprise me, but not shock me, if we are talking about a 12-year deal.   

3 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Small point, but I'm tired of reading stuff that says or implies that Manny is a better third baseman than Brooks was based on Brooks' comment (made a few times, I think) that Manny makes plays he couldn't have made,

I sure don't know whether Manny makes plays that Brooks couldn't have made in his prime. I doubt anyone else does either, including Brooks. Maybe you could reach such a conclusion after a detailed study of both players on film; even if that could be done, I'm pretty sure nobody has done it. I'm confident that Brooks has made these remarks not because he knows what plays he couldn't have made 50 years ago (!), but rather because, like the rest of us, he is extremely impressed by Manny's fielding ability and is a loyal fan of the Orioles (and therefore of Manny) and, unlike many of us, he is a generous, kind gentleman who is modest about his own accomplishments.

Bowden takes this one step further by saying Brooks "admits" that Manny makes plays he couldn't have made, as if someone had to drag that out of him. Comparisons of Manny's 3B play to that of Arenado, Beltre and other contemporaries are meaningful. Comparisons to Brooks, IMO, are not -- especially where what's being compared is not their overall defensive play but their ability to make specific spectacular plays. That's true, again IMO, even (or maybe especially) when Mr. Third Baseman is making the comparison.

I agree that Brooks' statement is completely consistent with his modest nature.    It's exactly the kind of thing he would say.

Manny does occasionally make throws that Brooks wouldn't have been able to make.    I think Brooks was more consistent in gloving sharply hit balls on the dive in either direction.    Manny does it a lot; Brooks did it more.    Manny's 2013 season was as good as any Brooks ever had, but Manny isn't quite at that level now that he's put on an extra 20 pounds or so.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree that Brooks' statement is completely consistent with his modest nature.    It's exactly the kind of thing he would say.

Manny does occasionally make throws that Brooks wouldn't have been able to make.    I think Brooks was more consistent in gloving sharply hit balls on the dive in either direction.    Manny does it a lot; Brooks did it more.    Manny's 2013 season was as good as any Brooks ever had, but Manny isn't quite at that level now that he's put on an extra 20 pounds or so.

Yes it appears Manny has traded his Platinum Glove for a Silver Slugger.

Archived