Castillo behind the plate...

Natty

I am not impressed so far. Last night he made 3 bad plays. Almost threw one out into left field trying a pickoff throw to third. Let a strikeout pitch to Arroyo go right by him and then couldn't even pick it up. A throw to second on a steal actually hit the mound. Words out...even slow fat guys are running on him...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is nothing new. Remember the reports about Castillo being a "sloppy" defensive catcher after the Orioles signed him? This is what they were talking about. The guy just seems flat out lazy at blocking balls in the dirt. There's been way too many times this year where a runner on base has gotten advanced because Castillo failed to block a pitch effectively. 

1 minute ago, TINSTAAPP said:

This is nothing new. Remember the reports about Castillo being a "sloppy" defensive catcher after the Orioles signed him? This is what they were talking about. The guy just seems flat out lazy at blocking balls in the dirt. There's been way too many times this year where a runner on base has gotten advanced because Castillo failed to block a pitch effectively. 

We have the coaching staff to fix him. And if they can't, we have Chance Sisco. 

Just now, ChuckS said:

Anyone who thought they we're getting a flawless catcher for 1/6 is in for a reality check. 

You gotta remember the guy was non-tendered. Still think we are getting great value here. 

Exactly, the position is pretty thin, which was why MW was the number 1 available FA catcher this past off season.

1 hour ago, TINSTAAPP said:

2 hours ago, Natty said:

I am not impressed so far. Last night he made 3 bad plays. Almost threw one out into left field trying a pickoff throw to third. Let a strikeout pitch to Arroyo go right by him and then couldn't even pick it up. A throw to second on a steal actually hit the mound. Words out...even slow fat guys are running on him...

Castillo has thrown out 33% of the 9 runners who have attempted to steal off him in 10 games which is above the league average of 28%. I didn't see last night's game so it sounds like he had a bad game, but a couple things here could be in play. Buck is playing him every single game and even with off days he's a guy that probably needs a few extra days off. He's been calling good games and has blocked the important balls most of the time. Does he appear to get lazy at times, especially when games are out of hand, sure, and that's not great, but I think it's way too early to start saying the guy is a terrible defensive catcher when 90% of what I've seen from him so far would be contrary to that opinion.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Is Sisco, even an upgrade behind the plate?

In nine games in AAA, runners have already attempted 14 stolen bases and he's thrown out just 2 (14%). He's also committed two errors and allowed a passed ball. Add in his .658 OPS and he's a long way from being an upgrade to Castillo in any way right now.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

In nine games in AAA, runners have already attempted 14 stolen bases and he's thrown out just 2 (14%). He's also committed two errors and allowed a passed ball. Add in his .658 OPS and he's a long way from being an upgrade to Castillo in any way right now.

Thanks Tony, which is what the story has been with Sisco ever since he got drafted.

I know most OH posters think he will be the new king behind the plate one of these days, but my gut says, he wont be making the roster as a catcher.

7 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Thanks Tony, which is what the story has been with Sisco ever since he got drafted.

I know most OH posters think he will be the new king behind the plate one of these days, but my gut says, he wont be making the roster as a catcher.

My gut says the same thing which is why I dropped him down a bit on my rankings. I think he'll end up in left or right field. That throwing is just not improving the fact that teams are running on him more than any catcher in the International League means he still can;t control the running game. The name that keep popping up is Steve Clevinger. Hopefully he's a better hitter than Clevinger because he may be similar behind the plate.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

My gut says the same thing which is why I dropped him down a bit on my rankings. I think he'll end up in left or right field. That throwing is just not improving the fact that teams are running on him more than any catcher in the International League means he still can;t control the running game. The name that keep popping up is Steve Clevinger. Hopefully he's a better hitter than Clevinger because he may be similar behind the plate.

Clevenger to his credit went back to "school" with hard work and was a vast improvement over what he was.

26 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If the other parts of catching game are above average can't that make up some for his weakness in throwing out runners?

Jason Varitek caught forever and had a career CS percentage of 23 percent.  And from what I recall, it seemed like teams would run against him at will.  

One thing to keep in mind is that players run more in the minors.  Lots of young legs and less of a reason to be conservative on the base paths. 

Archived