We never retaliate

cheecks

You can always expect a retaliation from the Sox and the Yankees but Buck never retaliates. I know it's not good for the game and we should be above it and all that, but we have to protect our guys too.

Where is Benitez when we need him. Kidding

See my post in the Farrell, Barnes suspension thread about this.  But, yes.  If we can put rules that protect catchers from collisions, make base coaches wear helmets, protect middle infielders from collisions, then we certainly can absolutely eliminate the single most dangerous part of baseball- a deliberately thrown missile at the body of another human being. 

The only question is whether the leadership of MLB has the guts to outlaw this archaic and barbaric practice by putting as severe a sanction on it as is placed on taking say Adderall for example. 

1 hour ago, cheecks said:

You can always expect a retaliation from the Sox and the Yankees but Buck never retaliates. I know it's not good for the game and we should be above it and all that, but we have to protect our guys too.

Buck lets his players make the decisions themselves. They're grown men that don't need to be ordered to protect each other or themselves. See: Machado v. Ventura. 

3 hours ago, cheecks said:

Baloney. The O's don't need to retaliate. What happens if the pitcher accidentally hits a guy in the head and it kills him? Then the pitchers life is ruined. All for the sake of retaliation? 

o

I have the utmost respect for Sandy Koufax and Walter Johnson, who never intentionally threw at a batter under any circumstances (actually, Johnson admitted to throwing at a batter ONE TIME in his entire career. He once threw at Frank "Home Run" Baker, because Baker intentionally spiked his teammate in a similar fashion that Enos Slaughter would later intentionally spike Jackie Robinson.

Considering that Johnson pitched for 21 years, and pitched almost 6,000 innings in his career, I will give him a mulligan for losing his cool ONE TIME when an opponent spiked one of his teammates. ) ;)

Ironically, Johnson hit more batters than any pitcher in the history of the game because opposing batters knew this about him, and would always significantly crowd the plate.

Johnson was actually afraid that he would maim or even kill a batter if he hit him. One time, Eddie Collins got hit in the back with one of Johnson's pitches, and was writhing in pain at home plate. Johnson was horrified, as he immediately sprinted to Collins' side to see if he was OK. Collins eventually got up very slowly, and groggily limped down to first base. On the very next pitch, Collins took off sprinting for second base, stealing it easily on the unnerved and very shaken Johnson. The little bugger (Collins) was faking the entire time, and miraculously recovered in less than a minute to steal a base.

So in my rat's ass of an opinion, I believe that it is admirable for those who take the high road in regard to the "You hit one of my guys, so now I have to hit one of your guys" mentality that is often prevalent in baseball.

o

4 hours ago, notfast said:

Do you pull over and fight the guy who cuts you off in traffic?

I don't either. Sometimes being mature is the best form of "retaliation"

I can point you toward Russian dashcam videos where they do that. A LOT. Some of it's pretty funny.

5 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

I have the utmost respect for Sandy Koufax and Walter Johnson, who never intentionally threw at a batter under any circumstances (actually, Johnson admitted to throwing at a batter ONE TIME in his entire career. He once threw at Frank "Home Run" Baker, because Baker intentionally spiked his teammate in a similar fashion that Enos Slaughter would later intentionally spike Jackie Robinson.

Considering that Johnson pitched for 21 years, and pitched almost 6,000 innings in his career, I will give him a mulligan for losing his cool ONE TIME when an opponent spiked one of his teammates. ) ;)

Ironically, Johnson hit more batters than any pitcher in the history of the game because opposing batters knew this about him, and would always significantly crowd the plate.

Johnson was actually afraid that he would maim or even kill a batter if he hit him. One time, Eddie Collins got hit in the back with one of Johnson's pitches, and was writhing in pain at home plate. Johnson was horrified, as he immediately sprinted to Collins' side to see if he was OK. Collins eventually got up very slowly, and groggily limped down to first base. On the very next pitch, Collins took off sprinting for second base, stealing it easily on the unnerved and very shaken Johnson. The little bugger (Collins) was faking the entire time, and miraculously recovered in less than a minute to steal a base.

So in my rat's ass of an opinion, I believe that it is admirable for those who take the high road in regard to the "You hit one of my guys, so now I have to hit one of your guys" mentality that is often prevalent in baseball.

o

I can't NOT post Big Train's sling motion! I remember Cal Sr. had kinda the same motion, throwing BP back in the 70's. Cal's was higher, whipped back around his head.

Big Train

Ubaldo hit Sandoval after the slide on Schoop 2 years ago. I thought it was on purpose. 

However, unlike Boston, Buck didn't make a big production out of it after the game and it was over. The sense of entitlement that Boston has it what gets me. I know that Schoop isn't Pedroia but that doesn't mean that he doesn't matter. And just because there wasn't a slide rule 2 years ago doesn't make Pablo's slide any less dangerous. 

Archived