Targets for Round 2 and Round 3 -- Draft Preview

Here's a look at some of the possible targets for rounds 2-3. I hope the read is interesting, as it should cover some players you may not know a ton about already. Thanks for the great discussions on this board and for the fun and interesting questions in the Camden Depot Mailbag.

Good stuff Stotle. Here are some players I noted in a earlier thread I thought would be interesting picks for the Orioles in Round 2 and beyond:

James Darnell, 3B, South Carolina.

Teammate of Smoak and Havens at South Carolina. Darnell is considered he best athlete of the three and has potential to be a five-tool talent in the pros.

Tyler Landendorf, SS, Howard (Texas) JC

Ladendorf has put up the crazy numbers in JUCO the last two seasons. As a freshman, he hit .425 and led all national juco players with 65 steals in as many attempts. This year, he has become more of a power threat, topping the juco batting race with a .542 average thru mid-May and throwing in 16 homers (up from one a year ago) and 31 steals in 32 tries. He has shortened his swing and can flash plus-plus speed when he's not playing on cruise control.

Lonnie Chisenhall, 3B, Pitt (N.C.) CC

Chisenhall originally played at South Carolina with Smoak, Havens and Darnell. He hit third in a Gamecocks lineup and was considered one of the top pure hitters in the country. At the beginning of conference play, Chisenhall was arrested and charged with larceny, leading to his immediate dismissal from the team. He later transferred to Pitt CC. He is considered one of the best hitters in this draft class. Whatever team drafts him will have to deal with his off-field issues, but if they feel he has matured he could be a steal.

Jordon Danks, OF, Texas

If teams drafted players on athletic ability alone, Danks would be a top 5 pick. He might have been a first-round pick coming out of high school had he not told teams he was set on attending Texas. He was one of the best prep power hitters in the 2005 draft, having beaten Cameron Maybin in the home run derby at the 2004 AFLCA All-America Game, where Danks hit several balls completely out of the park. If Danks was delivering the power scouts expected, he'd be an easy first-round pick because he's both big (6-foot-5, 205 pounds) and the best college athlete in this draft class. He runs well and shows better instincts on the bases and in center field than he does at the plate. His upside may be too hard to pass up for some teams. IMO, teams with multiple early round picks should take a shot at Danks.

Jason Christian, SS, Michigan

Christian is one of the few shortstops in the draft with both offensive and defensive skills, and his all-around game could boost him as high as the second round. He has a loose swing, plenty of bat speed and some power potential to tap into once he adds some weight to his 6-foot-3, 170-pound frame. He uses the whole field and shows an aptitude for drawing walks. Once he gets on base, he's a slightly above-average runner who can provide an occasional steal. Unlike many of the better-hitting shortstops available, Christian won't have to switch positions. He has good actions at shortstop, along with plenty of range and arm strength.

Kyle Russell, OF, Texas

Russell led Division I with a school-record 28 homers in 2007, yet that wasn't enough to answer questions about his bat. His seven-figure asking price dropped him to the Cardinals in the fourth round and when the two sides couldn't come to an agreement, he returned for an up-and-down junior season. He'll be lucky to get the $800,000 the Cardinals offered him last year, but his power makes him an intriguing prospect.

Seriously Stotle, amazing work on your draft previews!!

Thanks. It helps that a huge chunk of the talent likely available in these rounds all played for Team USA. Helps to see them rather than look at the stats and write-ups (since so little college baseball is convenient to find on TV and my current job usually prevents Friday travel).

Danks is probably my ideal third rounder -- he was one of two USA players to rip into Adiel Palma (Cuba -- only allowed 4 hits) in the PanAm gold medal game, doubling over the CF's head. The power concerns me a bit, but I love the fact that it could be buried in there somewhere as a bonus -- the rest of the package is pretty darn good already! I have a hunch he goes before round 3, but if not I'd love to grab him at 3:4 (80).

There are a few guys I'd love to see us grab in R2, or even later if lucky...

*Tyler Stovall, H.S. LHSP, 6' 1 -190, (AL) -- The lefty considerably raised his stock this season, jumping his FB 4-5 mph to 92-94, touching 96, and throwing an out-pitch slider. Re-writing the AL HS record books. Tremendous hitter as well, but has a strong Auburn commitment.

Check out these stats...

89 IP> 0.99 ERA, 19 BB's, 201 K's

Also...

*Jay Austin, H.S. CF, 6' -180, (GA) -- Austin, perhaps the fastest player in the draft, has showed scouts his ability to hit, which was all they were waiting to see. Outstanding athlete could be special, with 5 tools present.

.515 BA, 15 HR's, 43 RBI, with 26 stolen bases

And despite the shaky season... Harold Martinez. :)

*Tyler Stovall, H.S. LHSP, 6' 1 -190, (AL) -- The lefty considerably raised his stock this season, jumping his FB 4-5 mph to 92-94, touching 96, and throwing an out-pitch slider. Re-writing the AL HS record books. Tremendous hitter as well, but has a strong Auburn commitment.

Check out these stats...

Also...

*Jay Austin, H.S. CF, 6' -180, (GA) -- Austin, perhaps the fastest player in the draft, has showed scouts his ability to hit, which was all they were waiting to see. Outstanding athlete could be special, with 5 tools present.

Good info. Thanks, Greg.

A 'few' more to consider, from MLB-Draft.com... :)

51 . *Wade Miley, College LHSP, 6' 2 -215, Southeastern Louisiana -- Miley doesn't have great stuff, nor even good command, but he has four potentially ML average pitches and his slider may grade out as plus eventually. He throws his FB from 88-92 and can touch 94, but it's his solid slider, workable change, and developing curve that may vault him into the top two rounds, as quality lefties with solid projection are hard to find.

101.2 IP> 3.90 ERA, 101 Hits, 41 BB's, 119 K's, .266 BAA (as of May 27)

52 . Brad Holt, College RHSP, 6' 4 -195, UNC Wilmington -- The righty has good stuff, but is unrefined. Down the road he could become a solid middle of the rotation starter.

10 GS, 57.1 IP, 3.61 ERA, 46 hits, 20 BB's, 62 K's, .216 BAA

53 . Stephen Fife, College RHSP, 6' 3 -215, Utah -- After being looked at as a possible latter round choice coming into his junior year, Fife put scouts on notice in his masterful loss to 2009 #1 pick favorite Steven Strasburg. Fife has a live FB that runs in the low 90's and projectable secondary stuff. The issue has been his inability to dominate the opposition. Fife is a work in progress.

92 IP> 3.72 ERA, 91 Hits, 29 BB, 78 K's, .252 BAA (as of May 23)

54 . Tyler Sample, H.S. RHSP, 6' 7 -240, (CO) -- Sample has rebounded quite well from TJ surgery two years ago, and is a real big pitcher with outstanding projection. His FB sits in the low 90's and he gets to 94 often. He has a very good knuckle-curve as well, and throwing it in altitude shows just how special it could be. One to watch.

44 IP> 2.22 ERA, 36 hits, 25 BB's, 85 K's

55 . Lance Lynn, College RHSP, 6' 5 -250, Mississippi -- Good command of ML-average stuff. Innings-eater. Likely #4-5 starter.

15 GS, 89.2 IP, 4.52 ERA, 90 hits, 31 BB's, 110 K's, .251 BAA

56 . Sonny Gray, H.S. RHSP, 5' 11 -190, (TN) -- Were he 3 inches taller... the 5' 11 Gray may be as good a HS pitcher as there is, yet concerns over his height have scouts unsure of his seemingly great potential. Injured ankle in late April.

57 . *Lonnie Chisenhall, JC 3B, 6' 1 -200, Pitt CC (NC) -- Along with Tyler Ladendorf, the 19 year old Chisenhall is rated the best Juco prospect in the draft. The former University of South Carolina player was kicked off the team after his arrest for Grand Larceny and Burglary, serving 6 months. He has since rebounded at Pitt CC (NC). A sweet lefty swing has always been there, but he'll likely have to play 2B, as his bat isn't conducive to 3B.

147 AB's> .401 BA, 8 HR's, 61 RBI, 10 SB's

58 . Cody Satterwhite, College RHSP, 6' 4 -210, Mississippi -- Bouts of wildness, poor command and simple ineffectiveness would normally relegate a pitcher to 'The Island of Misfit Pitchers'... but not Satterwhite. His stuff is very good... when 'on'. A project that could front a rotation if all went just right.

72.1 IP > 14 GS, 5.40 ERA, 80 Hits, 36 BB, 53 K, .297 BAA

59 . Destin Hood, HS OF, 6' 1 -180, (AL) -- Hood is the proto-typical projection prospect. He has serious bat speed, exceptional power and runs very well, but like Anthony Hewitt, swings and misses against the better pitchers a bit too often. One to watch.

100 AB's> .500, 8 HR's, 34 RBI, 22 SB's

60 . Tyson Ross, College RHSP, 6' 5 -225, California -- Many feel that a few tweaks to his mechanical flaws could vault Ross into a true first round talent. A low 90's FB and sweet slider are workable, and with his size and stuff... look out.

4.40 ERA, 11 GS, 71.2 IP, 67 Hits, 30 BB, 62 K

61 . *Brett Mooneyham, H.S. LHSP, 6' 5 -220, (CA) -- The son of former big leaguer Bill, Mooneyham is rated by some as the best prep lefty in the draft. He has all the tools for success, including a low 90's FB, and workable off-speed offerings. He went through a growth spurt and has struggled with his balance/control. Somewhat of a project, but another kid with major upside, but he has a strong commitment to Stanford and is advised by Scott Boras.

43 IP> 0.49 ERA, 15 hits, 36 BB's, 56 K's

62 . Zach Putnam, College Starter/Reliever, 6' 2 -215, Michigan -- An enigma wrapped in a... well, he's a tough one to figure. The starter has nasty stuff when on with heavy sink, but a slightly awkward delivery could spell trouble down the line. May profile better as a filthy reliever. Can you be a sleeper when everyone knows you?

76.2 IP> 2.58 ERA, 62 hits, 23 BB's, 78 K's, .223 BAA

63 . *Jay Austin, H.S. CF, 6' -180, (GA) -- Austin, among the fastest players in the draft, has showed scouts his ability to hit, which was all they were waiting to see. Outstanding athlete could be special, with 5 tools present.

64 . Carlos Gutierrez, College Closer, 6' 3 -205, Miami -- Another college closer, another potential fast mover. Throws low nineties with serious late sink, but will need to develop a secondary offering to make it as a big leaguer.

2.92 ERA, 11 Saves, 40 IP, 32 Hits, 17 BB, 60 K.

65 . *Tyler Stovall, H.S. LHSP, 6' 1 -190, (AL) -- The lefty considerably raised his stock this season, jumping his FB 4-5 mph to 92-94, touching 96, and throwing an out-pitch slider. Re-writing the AL HS record books. Tremendous hitter as well, but has a strong Auburn commitment. A personal favorite of mine.

66 . *Nick Maronde, H.S. LHSP, 6' 3 -195, (KY) -- A hair behind in the rankings, Maronde challenged Robbie Ross and Daniel Webb for Kentucky's top prep pitcher. A lefty with big upside and a Florida commitment, Maronde could turn out the best of the bunch. The issue with him is the affiliation with agent Scott Boras and the word that he won't sign for 2nd-3rd round money.

46 IP> 0.30 ERA, 11 hits, 12 BB's, 76 K's

67 . *Xavier Avery, H.S. CF, 5' 11 -180, (CA) -- Speedy center fielder with raw hitting ability, but lack of projectable power. Kenny Lofton/Carl Crawford come to mind...great athleticism, but should need patience, hard work and refinement to have it pay off.

66 AB's> .561 BA, 8 HR's, 24 RBI, 35 SB's

68 . *Shane Peterson, College 1B/OF, 6' -195, Long Beach State -- Peterson is a tough one to figure, as he is a strong guy and has been known to really launch a ball... but his physical strength hasn't parlayed into real HR power as yet. A great on-base man and fine defender at 1B has the ability to play a corner OF spot if needed. If he develops HR power... watch out.

203 PA, .399 BA, 7 HRs, 50 RBI, 41 BB, 44 K, 9 SB, .510 OBP, .601 SLG, 1.111 OPS

69 . Roger Kieschnick, College OF, 6' 3 -215, Texas Tech -- When at bat... Russell Branyan comes to mind. A big powerful lefty bat that has issues hitting it enough. Roger is a fair athlete, runs pretty well and has a good arm, but has too many holes in his swing.

220 PA, .309 BA, 17 HRs, 65 RBI, 35 BB, 42 K, 8 SB, .407 OBP, .632 SLG, 1.039 OPS

70 . *Zach Cox, H.S. 3B, 6' -200, (KY) -- Zach is among the more powerful HS'er in the draft, and can hit for average as well... however, he isn't the best defender at third and may have to play a corner OF spot as a pro. He has a strong arm, so RF may be his best bet, but he is limited by his so-so athleticism and below average speed. Has a similar build and skill-set to Brett Lawrie, but Zach hits from the left side.

Check out these stats...

Also...

I'm pretty sure I heard that Martinez is all but unsignable as he wants to go to Miami and work on his game. I'm sure if someone offered him a big payday tomorrow he'd reconsider, but I can't see anyone giving him a ton of money.

I'm pretty sure I heard that Martinez is all but unsignable as he wants to go to Miami and work on his game. I'm sure if someone offered him a big payday tomorrow he'd reconsider, but I can't see anyone giving him a ton of money.

Could be true, but I'd still like to take a shot at him.

Archived