I Have A Take On Manny's "Hotdogging It".

ORIOLE33

15 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Oh great. Manny doesn't run his ass off and now he is a hotdogger. How dare him not husstle all the damn time. Be happy you won't have Manny to complain about after next year.

If they can get a boatload of good prospects, odious.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Here's my take on Manny: he's a great player who is struggling a little at the plate this year, and we're in a losing streak, so now he's a convenient scapegoat.    I have no trouble with the level of effort he gives on a daily basis, and I think he's a good teammate.   Buck should continue to play him virtually every day, with maybe an occasional day off to rest up, but there is no reason whatsoever to sit him for disciplinary reasons.   He's done nothing to warrant that kind of treatment.

Well said, I remember when Eddie Murray was the spagecoat for EBW and Orioles fans as well.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Here's my take on Manny: he's a great player who is struggling a little at the plate this year, and we're in a losing streak, so now he's a convenient scapegoat.    I have no trouble with the level of effort he gives on a daily basis, and I think he's a good teammate.   Buck should continue to play him virtually every day, with maybe an occasional day off to rest up, but there is no reason whatsoever to sit him for disciplinary reasons.   He's done nothing to warrant that kind of treatment.

Spoil sport :D

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Last year Manny ran the bases like a little leaguer, not seeing that this year. He and the team were basically universally praised for how the handled the Boston mess. It did bother me the other night when he didn't run to 1st after he struck out. 

I get the frustration to an extent but it is overblown. He is never going to be viewed as a blue collar type of player. 

He's never on base, we dont know if his base running has improved.:)

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Manny is reminding me of Eddie Murray and how the press ran him out of town for the same thing. Meanwhile, Cal the golden boy, didn't catch nearly the same flack. 

Why doesn't the media criticize Buck more?  I think people want to buy into the young "Arod" stereotype and are pre punishing Manny for being a FA in two years. 

Get over it. Manny is a top 5 player in baseball. Enjoy him instead of criticizing him for being a hot dog. You can't punish Manny for Arod's mistakes. 

People have some Baltimore insecure complex that they are hating/blaming Manny for something he hasn't even done yet. 

What metric are using to say he is a top 5 player in baseball? 

3 minutes ago, Fuzzball22 said:

Both flavors of WAR have him in the top eight over the the last two seasons.  Trout, Kershaw and Donaldson are above him in both years.

I don't think it is at all unreasonable to look at that and say Manny is a top five player.

4 minutes ago, Fuzzball22 said:

How about total fWAR, 2013 - 17?   Manny is fourth despite missing half of 2014.    http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2017&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=&rost=&age=&filter=&players=

Needless to say, I manipulated the time frame to get the result I wanted.    It wouldn't work if you chose any other year as the starting point.    And I was excluding pitchers.  

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just curious, how many games have you watched Betts play?

You a big Red Sox game watcher?

I watch him enough. I see him every now and then. Just curious, would you have asked me that if I said Trout instead of Betts? Because I rarely ever see Trout's games.

I agree with the OP that it is ultimately Buck Showalter's call on whether to discipline Machado for lack of effort. Further, I would be surprised if He has not had a discussion with Machado about his approach at times. Personally, I would have benched him after He did not run to first on a dropped third strike the other night. I think that there is something to taking time away from a player when He does something that is detrimental to the team, While I think Machado is a great player, I must say that I do not care for the way that He approaches the game. He's a great defensive third baseman, but I have seen him nonchalantly throw balls to first on routine plays, He is overswinging at the plate and he has shown a lack of hustle at critical times as of late. These issues seem to be enhanced because the team is going bad as well. Despite the talent, I hope that the Orioles do not sink hundreds of millions of dollars into this guy to be the face of the franchise for the next ten years. I'd rather He'd have a good year and get a haul for him in the offseason.

6 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I watch him enough. I see him every now and then. Just curious, would you have asked me that if I said Trout instead of Betts? Because I rarely ever see Trout's games.

If you were to say you were solely basing your evaluation of the two players by the "eye test" I would.

So, you use the "eye test" and you have seen him "every now and then" which is "enough" for you to make a definitive judgement.

Got it! 

I stand by my Hanley comparison.  He was 7th and 3rd in WAR in the NL in his age 24 and 25 seasons.  Tremendous talent who didn't always seem to be fully engaged.  

Manny doesn't set himself to throw when he has the opportunity to, doesn't run balls out, and sometimes lacks focus on routine plays.  I don't think it is quite at peak Hanley levels but he can be in the ballpark.  Doesn't mean he isn't great and I don't like him on our team.  He just is a bit frustrating at times.

Archived