Ademar Rifaela?

JohnD

This young outfielder is having a decent year at age appropriate Frederick.  Playing mostly RF he is showing more pop than in years past.  His OBP isn't bad, not great either, but a blemish that stands out is his K/BB rate.  Needs to get better, but I've also seen worse K rates.

It's too early to say he is the RF of the future, but the numbers bear some watching right now as he gets stronger and shows some pop.

Anyone seen him in person who can say anything?

Ademar had a nice night when we were there. He hit a walk off home run.  I was more impressed with the way he treated my 5 year old son.  My sons baseball team had the privailidge of taking the field with the Keys players during the anthem.  Ademar was the player my son ran on to the field with.  He was one of the few Keys players that looked comfortable interacting with the kids.  He put his arm around my son during the anthem.  He gave my son high fives before and after the anthem.  I will definitely follow him with special interest.

3 minutes ago, Br10n said:

Ademar had a nice night when we were there. He hit a walk off home run.  I was more impressed with the way he treated my 5 year old son.  My sons baseball team had the privailidge of taking the field with the Keys players during the anthem.  Ademar was the player my son ran on to the field with.  He was one of the few Keys players that looked comfortable interacting with the kids.  He put his arm around my son during the anthem.  He gave my son high fives before and after the anthem.  I will definitely follow him with special interest.

That's awesome! Was that the double header a couple of weeks ago?

• 4 weeks later...

He's having a similar year to what Santander did last year in the Carolina League. He's just 11 months older. We took Santander in the rule 5 draft. I'm not saying he's better than Santander it's just nice to have a guy putting up this kind of season without having to take him in the Rule 5 draft. 

52 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He's having a similar year to what Santander did last year in the Carolina League. He's just 11 months older. We took Santander in the rule 5 draft. I'm not saying he's better than Santander it's just nice to have a guy putting up this kind of season without having to take him in the Rule 5 draft. 

This system has come to life, I take back the bad things I said about it. ♥️

11 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

11 months is a lot when you're talking about high A.   Still, Rifaela is about six months younger than the average player in the league.   He's been on fire since May.

I'm looking forward to the next time Frederick's games are televised, the latest I saw Rifaela was mid-June.  He's really picked it up since then, I'm curious if he changed his stance and/or swing.  He's only striking out 20% of the time now instead of the high 20's.  It seems like he's making better contact too, from the amount of hits he's getting (although it's possible he could be getting lucky on weakly hit balls, most of his singles were on balls he made poor contact with in he 6 games I saw.)

“He’s just 22 and has a beautiful swing and the ball jumps off his bat,” Orioles director of player development Brian Graham said. “He’s having a really good year. He’s shown good bat speed and understands the strike zone. He’s shown much better patience this year. He’s a left-handed hitter that has always had a pure swing. His pitch recognition has gotten better.

“Plus he’s maturing as a person and as a player, and if you had to point to one thing, that maturity has really helped him perform so well this year. Young players develop at different times. (Outfielder Randolph) Gassaway and Rifaela are similar. It has taken some time and it’s part of the process. Development takes time and a lot of effort and you never know when players will show up. You just keep working and good players will show up.”  

From http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2017/07/flying-under-the-radar-on-the-farm-plus-other-notes.html

Archived