Should the O's spend 1m on Doug Fister?

wildcard

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not. If its only $1 million it's not that big of a risk, and were not giving up anyone to get him. Even if he had an ERA of 5.00 the rest of the way it would be an improvement over 3/5 of the rotation this season.

9 minutes ago, SteveA said:

What does that mean exactly?

Is he going on the 25 man roster immediately or to Pawtucket?

Andy MacPhail tried to explain that to me once. I do think so.

1) Unconditional Release Waivers: These are the waivers a team uses to get rid of a player they don’t want anymore. Think Oliver Perez or Luis Castillo with the Mets, or Pat Burrell with the Rays. Once placed on unconditional release waivers, the player can be claimed by any other team for $1, but the claiming team must then take on the remainder of that player’s salary. If the released player chooses to, they can instead become a free agent and sign with any team. In this case, the team releasing the player is still on the hook for the remainder of their contract.

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/principles/contract-details/waivers/

16 minutes ago, weams said:

He is certainly on the 40 man MLB roster. But I never did get the hang of that. 

Don't think so.  His contract status is a lot like Bourn's was with the O's.

Signed to a minor league contract with the agreement that if he made the majors he would make a major league salary.  He was put on released waivers from AAA which means he never made it to the majors;

He was put on minor league waivers.  Boston claimed him so they can agree to send him to AAA if his contract allows or they can add him to the major league roster.

That is the way I understand it.

Archived