You be the GM!

Lucky_13

Let's hear everyone's plans if they were the GM. Are you going to start the firesale? Retool? Or are you going to go all in and buy a player at the deadline?

Here's mine. I threw it together quickly so feel free to tell me how terrible it is. 

Pitchers:

Wade Miley to Indians for LHP Ryan Merritt  

Major league ready, finesse lefty. Honestly could be overrating Miley but Merritt seems to have similar value to Miranda and the Indians need an innings eater. #22 prospect for the Indians.

Brad Brach to Twins for OF Robbie Grossman and RHP Felix Jorge  

I’m struggling to gauge Brach’s value at this point. Jorge is a command and control pitcher with a fastball that can touch the mid 90’s and improving off speed stuff. His ETA is next season and he projects as a 3-5 starting pitcher. The Orioles could call him up after the deadline to see what he has. Robbie Grossman had a breakout year last year but is blocked from playing time a bit this year. He seems best suited as a platoon guy against righties.  

Zach Britton to Nationals for RHP Erick Fedde, SS Carter Kieboom, LHP Tyler Watson, INF Stephen Drew

So this all assumes that Zach Britton comes back healthy and dominant. I used the Andrew Miller deal as a template and also took into consideration that the Nats would have Britton for an extra year. Fedde and Kieboom were in similar position in BA top 100 as the first two prospects that the Yankees got last year. Fedde is close to major league ready and the Orioles could theoretically call him up if they wanted to. Kieboom can play all over the infield apparently but is farther from the majors. Could be SS or 3B of the future. Drew is a throw in to play SS until Hardy is back an then becomes the utility infielder.

Infielders/Outfielders

Manny Machado to Boston Red Sox for 3B Rafael Devers, LHP Jay Groome, RHP Chandler Shepherd, Util Brock Holt if healthy by July 31st.

Yeah, it would suck to help the Red Sox win another World Series. But having a player like Manny Machado on their team gives them a really good infield and it could be too good for Boston to pass up. Plus, with them in the Division we could up the asking price a bit. 

Wellington Castillo and Seth Smith to Tampa Bay Rays for RHP Taylor Guerrieri, OF Shane Peterson and 3B Trevor Plouffe

The Rays need a catcher after they designated Derek Norris for assignment. Guerrieri has struggled with injuries since being drafted but has really come on as late. He was recently promoted to AAA and is close to MLB ready. He is the Rays’ #22 prospect. Plouffe crushes lefties and could form a platoon with Drew Dosch to play 3rd with Manny gone. Smith gives them an upgrade in left.

Hyun Soo Kim to some National league team for whatever you can get.

25 Man with Davis and Hardy on DL 

1B: Trey Mancini 
2B: Jonathan Schoop 
SS: Stephen Drew  
3B: Drew Dosch 
C: Caleb Joseph

LF: Shane Peterson 
CF: Adam Jones
RF: Robbie Grossman  

DH: Mark Trumbo 

Bench 
C Francisco Pena
OF Joey Rickard
3B Trevor Plouffe 
OF/INF Brock Holt 

Rotation
RHP Dylan Bundy 
RHP Kevin Gausmen 
LHP Ryan Merritt  
RHP Felix Jorge  
RHP Chris Tillman

Bullpen 

RHP Mychal Givens
RHP Taylor Guerrieri
RHP Darren O’Day
LHP Richard Bleir 
RHP Alec Asher 
RHP Miguel Castro 
RHP Ubaldo Jimenez 

So things look a bit ugly. But the outfield defense improves and hey the rotation doesn't seem like a dumpster fire of despair. And the farm is restocked with some potential impact prospects. And Brock Holt is a great get. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Lucky_13 said:

It's three of Boston's top 15 prospects and their numbers 1 and 2. If Holt is healthy he is an impact player. What would you ask for?

It's probably the best package Boston could assemble, in his defense. I don't see them as a great fit if you're going to move Manny, myself.

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Bradley Jr and Devers or Groome

Jackie Bradley Jr. is older than Manny and nearly at the "pay him" stage, too. That'd be foolish. If you want an outfielder you try to convince Boston to come off of Benintendi. Which they're probably not interested in.

2 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Jackie Bradley Jr. is older than Manny and nearly at the "pay him" stage, too. That'd be foolish. If you want an outfielder you try to convince Boston to come off of Benintendi. Which they're probably not interested in.

Bradley Jr is under team control thru 2020, and is a major league player. The two pitching prospects in the proposed deal in the post may never reach the majors.

If we are giving up Manny to a division rival for a year and a half (at least) we better be getting more of a sure thing than a chronically injured decent player.

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Bradley Jr is under team control thru 2020, and is a major league player. The two pitching prospects in the proposed deal in the post may never reach the majors.

If we are giving up Manny to a division rival for a year and a half (at least) we better be getting more of a sure thing than a chronically injured decent player.

That's a good point. If I was going to ask for someone on Boston's MLB roster I would rather have Benintendi but if you can get Bradley thats a good deal. And we have money coming off the books next season so I'm not sure his arbitration would be a huge deal. Bradley Jr, schoop, Mancini, and Bundy are guys you can build around.

8 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I don't hate the idea of getting back someone who's already ML ready, but Jackie Bradley, Jr. simply isn't sufficient. He's 27 and has thus far posted a career .741 OPS in ~1500 or so at bats.

Just now, FlipTheBird said:

I don't hate the idea of getting back someone who's already ML ready, but Jackie Bradley, Jr. simply isn't sufficient. He's 27 and has thus far posted a career .741 OPS in ~1500 or so at bats.

Why would you pick out his career OPS instead of looking at this season and the two years prior (.844, .835, .832), which is his last 1,000 AB?

His .531 OPS in his rookie season significantly influences the number you used in your argument.

1 hour ago, Lucky_13 said:

Wade Miley to Indians for LHP Ryan Merritt  

Major league ready, finesse lefty. Honestly could be overrating Miley but Merritt seems to have similar value to Miranda and the Indians need an innings eater. #22 prospect for the Indians.

The Indians never make this trade, Miley had a higher WHIP than Ubaldo and his ERA is 7.94 in June. 

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Indians never make this trade, Miley had a higher WHIP than Ubaldo and his ERA is 7.94 in June. 

Yeah. Honestly I think the best they'll be able to do with Miley is trade him for a blocked player who will never get a chance with his current team

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Seems like a terrible return for Manny.

All the speculated trades are simply guesses. If we knew what the other teams might give up I think it would help this exercise. I remember when we were supposed to trade Adam for Jair Jurrjens and Randall Delgado. And some hitting prospect that never made the majors. 

Archived