Brenan Hanifee 6/28 notes

Luke-OH

4 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Brandon Bonilla with 4 K's early - have you seen him?

Yes, I saw his first two outings.  I wrote a little about him in another thread, I forgot where.

He has the most straight over the top delivery I've ever seen, it is very different.  He doesn't seem to use his lower half much, it's a windmill motion.  Hitters had a lot of trouble with his fastball, and he filled up the zone the fastball although he wasn't really putting it where he wanted.  The breaking ball looked like it had some serious movement but he wasn't able to throw it close enough to the plate to get chases, it was generally a ball out of his hand.

3 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Yes, I saw his first two outings.  I wrote a little about him in another thread, I forgot where.

He has the most straight over the top delivery I've ever seen, it is very different.  He doesn't seem to use his lower half much, it's a windmill motion.  Hitters had a lot of trouble with his fastball, and he filled up the zone the fastball although he wasn't really putting it where he wanted.  The breaking ball looked like it had some serious movement but he wasn't able to throw it close enough to the plate to get chases, it was generally a ball out of his hand.

Ok thanks - we'll leave it to the developers....

4 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

"Most straight over the top delivery." Like a "very old school" style?

34 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

This video doesn't do it justice of how interesting it looks straight on.

This one is a little better, but still from behind his back. The delivery is at the very end of the video.

Now I see what you mean. That DOES look interesting, since almost no pitcher does that anymore. It's almost like a mix of old school with a lower leg kick.

• 2 months later...

Hanifee made a list of ten 2018 breakout candidates on Baseball Prospectus.  I agree, if he can improve his secondaries, he can really jump onto the national radar.  Projectable body, athletic, very little pitching experience, good fastball, and good delivery.

Archived