In Jordan We Trust

It's clear that the Orioles will have a fascinating choice to make when their turn comes up at no. 4. I've never seen any of these top players play, and I'm no scout, anyway. All I can say is that I trust Joe Jordan to make this pick. Assuming (as seems likely) that Matusz is still on the board when our turn comes, I'm trusting completely Jordan's judgment as to whether Matusz (or another pitcher, for that matter) is a better long-term prospect than the best hitter left on the board. No matter who he picks, it will be my assumption that this player is going to succeed and be a key contributor to our franchise. So you won't hear any words of disappointment from me no matter who he picks, just my best wishes for the choice to turn out to be successful.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree 100% with this.

I'd be very happy with any of Beckham, Alvarez, Smoak, or Matusz. But even if Jordan takes someone outside that group, like Crow or Alonso or GBeckham, I'm sure I'll get real excited after hearing him talk about the pick.

If an impact hitter is on the board, which most assume will be the case, and we chose a pitcher it's going to be hard for me to not be disappointed. I understand that you don't draft for need but when a need is so glaring and a seemingly perfect peick is there...

I trust Joe Jordan, BUT not 100%. He's done well but he's made some mistakes also. Our drafts have been good under him but I don't think I'd characterize any of them as great. Weiters fell into our lap last year. The jury is still out on Rowell and it appears we missed on Snyder.
How is 2005 not considered great? Snyder, Olson, Reimold, Erbe, Spoone, and DHernandez.

That's a great draft, at least so far. Maybe none of those guys really make it, but its looked very good so far.

And 2007 is looking like a great one as well, although more from a top-heavy than deep standpoint with Wieters and Arrieta.

It's clear that the Orioles will have a fascinating choice to make when their turn comes up at no. 4. I've never seen any of these top players play, and I'm no scout, anyway. All I can say is that I trust Joe Jordan to make this pick. Assuming (as seems likely) that Matusz is still on the board when our turn comes, I'm trusting completely Jordan's judgment as to whether Matusz (or another pitcher, for that matter) is a better long-term prospect than the best hitter left on the board. No matter who he picks, it will be my assumption that this player is going to succeed and be a key contributor to our franchise. So you won't hear any words of disappointment from me no matter who he picks, just my best wishes for the choice to turn out to be successful.

I'll send my best wishes to the one we select as well, BUT one question is, is Mcphail going to let JJ select his player or put the pressure on to select a pitcher regardless? We'll never know, but Jordan says to get pitching later in the draft, and has done just that. Mcphail talks pitching ,pitching and more pitching, so I just wonder who is going to make the pick. With the Jury still out on Rowell and Snyder, and Weiters "falling into their lap last year, I'm still waiting for Jordan to provide a STUD, with the first pick. THIS pick, will not be an automatic pick, there are alot of choices that are legit, so if he picks a winner here (smoak), then he'll have my 1st round trust. (I'm sure he'll rest easy knowing that:) But if he takes a pitcher here, I will have to wonder who's pick this is.

Our first round pick doesn't even profile as a ML regular. If two of the pitchers become solid #3 starters or better and Reimold becomes an all-star it will be close to great. I think Erbe & Hernandez both become relievers, BTW.
If the later round guys make up for a miss in the first round, that's fine. You don't have to hit on the 1st rounder to have a great draft.

How is 2005 not considered great? Snyder, Olson, Reimold, Erbe, Spoone, and DHernandez.

That's a great draft, at least so far. Maybe none of those guys really make it, but its looked very good so far.

And 2007 is looking like a great one as well, although more from a top-heavy than deep standpoint with Wieters and Arrieta.

All you can really say is that there are some promising talent there. Snyder, what's he done this year? Olson, you can't really judge but at least he made it to the big leagues and shows promise. It COULD be a really good year but the jury is still out and snyder is not impressing.

Snyder is a big time miss, especially with Ellsbury and Rasmus still on the board. Rowell also looks to be a bad pick with Lincecum, Snider and Antonelli still on the board.

Smoak is the best pick for us because he fills a huge need and he's about the most sure fire position prospect in the first round. Matusz would be a mistake if Smoak is still there because he could be a bust.

Snyder is a big time miss, especially with Ellsbury and Rasmus still on the board. Rowell also looks to be a bad pick with Lincecum, Snider and Antonelli still on the board.

Smoak is the best pick for us because he fills a huge need and he's about the most sure fire position prospect in the first round.

I can't wait until the 2010 draft when you are calling Smoak an awful pick because Player X and Player Y who have both since passed him but weren't considered better options ath the time were still available.

I just don't like the idea of grabbing a pitcher in the first round when you are drafting as high as we are UNLESS that pitcher profiles like Mark Prior or Price or someone like that.

It seems to me that while Matusz may be the best pitcher in the draft(and that is very debateable), he is being seen as a top 5 pick just for that reason.

How does Matusz compare to the pitchers last year like Detwiler and Aumont, etc....???

I do agree with the premise that if Jordan takes Matusz that he is the best player in his opinion BUT part of me does wonder if their is any PA factor involved with the whole Smoak/Tex angle.

I do agree with the premise that if Jordan takes Matusz that he is the best player in his opinion BUT part of me does wonder if their is any PA factor involved with the whole Smoak/Tex angle.

Angelos had better have a handshake agreement with Tex if that's the case...

Archived