In Jordan We Trust

It's clear that the Orioles will have a fascinating choice to make when their turn comes up at no. 4. I've never seen any of these top players play, and I'm no scout, anyway. All I can say is that I trust Joe Jordan to make this pick. Assuming (as seems likely) that Matusz is still on the board when our turn comes, I'm trusting completely Jordan's judgment as to whether Matusz (or another pitcher, for that matter) is a better long-term prospect than the best hitter left on the board. No matter who he picks, it will be my assumption that this player is going to succeed and be a key contributor to our franchise. So you won't hear any words of disappointment from me no matter who he picks, just my best wishes for the choice to turn out to be successful.

And that's the biggest point here, history will judge the success of the draft unless Jordan trys to draft me at #4 - that's the only guaranteed failure, so in the spirit of supporting the right men in the right position, in Jordan we trust!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't necessarily pin the lack of bats solely on Jordan. I have serious questions about the entire organization's approach to hitting. I think it needs to be revamped from top to bottom and I think it needs to happen very soon.

Wouldn't simple probability tell us that a couple of 75-100 hitters turn out to be better than originally projected? There's something else going on, IMO.

I wouldn't necessarily pin the lack of bats solely on Jordan. I have serious questions about the entire organization's approach to hitting. I think it needs to be revamped from top to bottom and I think it needs to happen very soon.

Wouldn't simple probability tell us that a couple of 75-100 hitters turn out to be better than originally projected? There's something else going on, IMO.

That could be and it's just another reason to select a college bat because that hitter is more polished and doesn't have to be developed as much. I guarantee Wieters isn't having a ton of coaching how to hit down in Frederick. Or if he is he's ignoring it.

Smoak would have a better chance of reaching Wieters' level because he's polished and is pretty much a sure thing. Not even this organization with it's bad hitting instruction could screw him up. Hopefully Jordan realizes our minor league hitting instruction flat out sucks and drafts accordingly...

I trust Joe Jordan, BUT not 100%. He's done well but he's made some mistakes also. Our drafts have been good under him but I don't think I'd characterize any of them as great. Weiters fell into our lap last year. The jury is still out on Rowell and it appears we missed on Snyder.

Totally agree with you. I was hoping they would not draft another pitcher. The team has to start getting some hitting and position players. Too many things also can go wrong with a pitcher as in arm problems.

Totally agree with you. I was hoping they would not draft another pitcher. The team has to start getting some hitting and position players. Too many things also can go wrong with a pitcher as in arm problems.

Odd, then, that the injuries to Jordan's top picks have been mostly on the hitter side - Snyder, Rowell, Riemold, Pope. Really only eighth rounder Spoone has an injury among Jordan's top pitching prospects - and it appears to be the least serious among the names above.

Snyder is a big time miss, especially with Ellsbury and Rasmus still on the board. Rowell also looks to be a bad pick with Lincecum, Snider and Antonelli still on the board.

Smoak is the best pick for us because he fills a huge need and he's about the most sure fire position prospect in the first round. Matusz would be a mistake if Smoak is still there because he could be a bust.

Way Way Way to early to tell. I'll give you that Snider will be a decent comp (HS hitter etc.)in a few years. However comparing Rowell to Antonelli and Lincecum is a reach.

Antonelli was drafted from Wake Forest as a 21 year old and has only out OPS'd Rowell by 20 points, albiet at a higher level. However, when you figure the age and experience difference is kinda makes you wonder about Antonelli.

Lincecum had and still has major questions surrounding his long-term health & durability, with the organization in shambles it is very understandable why Joe Jordan didn't take the chance.

I'm closing my eyes now and saying: "I DO believe in Jordan. I DO believe in Jordan. I DO believe in Jordan."

It takes a bit of a leap of faith to believe this will turn out to have been a good draft. I have confidence that Matusz will be a fine major league starter, but everyone else is a guess. The last few drafts were a lot easier to read.

I know last year Jordan was given 100% control of the players he could choose. I wonder if it's the same under MacPhail?

Dunno...

The organization is definitely running through Andy and Andy alone. I can't see him giving Jordan 100% free reign on the drafting, as had been done.

I've read some pretty funn stuff on here today. Seems like a lot of people think you just pick up your starting 1B, 2B, SS, & 3B of 2010 in this draft. It's so easy. I would have preferred Smoak at #4 but it's also interesting that once the O's passed on him that he feel all of the way to #11, so maybe not everyone was crazy about him. Matusz is a good, solid pick, according to almost every expert out there. If we didn't get our 1B of the future, we might be able to trade for one or get one in FA. We obviously have added to our pitching depth and that's never a bad thing. The really funny comments were the ones criticising the picks after the 1st round. Hey! In case you haven't noticed, the draft is far from a sure thing even after you get past the first 10-15 picks in the first round. I have no problem with Jordan taking the best player on his board, whether it's three OF's in a row or not. Questions like "Where will Avery play with Jones in CF?" are just too funny. We should be so lucky to have to ask that question someday. Projecting any player is tricky business but especially HS players. High risk. High reward. Xavier Avery and L.J. Hoes sound like players with high reward possibilities. I'm not crazy about the Hudson pick in the 4th round but I like it better than when we took Blake Davis in the 4th round in a previous Jordan draft.

Anyway, in conclusion, I just wanted to say, that everytime I see the criticism like I did today, I think back to Jordan's first draft and how so many people went crazy because we passed on Stephen Head in the 2nd round and took Nolan Reimold instead. Where are those people today? Or better yet, where is Stephen Head today?

My biggest issues are HUdson and Avery.

I like the Hoes pick and while I would have preferred Smoak, Matusz is a good pick.

I just think we should have focused on larger organizational needs than we did.

Yeah, that would be angelos: Pay a guy 140 millions instead of giving 6 million to Smoak who will do a very similar job.

You gotta be kidding. You think the draft is that sure a thing?

Of the guys chosen #1 OVERALL in the past 14 years...3 have made a SINGLE ALL STAR GAME. 3 out of 14. (Now Justin Upton and Hamilton threaten to make that 5).

But that's of the guys chosen #1 overall. Even if you concede that Upton and Hamilton will likely make an All Star game, and even concede that two of the more recent picks like Price will....you are still looking at a 50% chance that the #1 overall pick ever makes a single All Star Game.

And you are saying that Smoak "will do a very similar job" to Teixiera as if it's some kind of sure thing.

Perspective, please.

So I guess you do believe in drafting for need instead of taking the best player available?

No, I believe in BPA...Do you honestly think they had Avery ranked ahead of Melville for example?

Melville was considered a top 20 pick and Avery was considered a borderline 2/3 rounder.

This was supposed to be a draft stacked in positional talent, especially corner IFers...We didn't get one of them?

Do you want Joe Jordan and the scouts to do the drafting or do you want Peter Angelos to buy a copy of Baseball America and just take the next player available on their top 200 list? Melvin is a HS pitcher. That's risky in of itself. Secondly, he'll be a very tough sign. You'd be the first one on here saying "Great pick, but it's a waste if they can't sign him." Avery sounds like he has a very high ceiling. I'm happy with that pick.

Give Melville first round money, as you did Arrieta last year.

Avery and Matusz or Smoak and Melville...Which would you prefer?

Archived