In Jordan We Trust

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, I believe in BPA...Do you honestly think they had Avery ranked ahead of Melville for example?

Melville was considered a top 20 pick and Avery was considered a borderline 2/3 rounder.

This was supposed to be a draft stacked in positional talent, especially corner IFers...We didn't get one of them?

I think we probably would have taken a corner IF in the 2nd round, but it so happens that a ton of them got snapped up in the first 49 picks. When the draft is said to be "well-stocked" at a certan position, it doesn't necessarily mean the supply is limitless. 11 corner infielders were chosen in the first round. That's a huge number.

As to Melville, maybe they don't like him that much, or think he's worth the money. Some guys are, some aren't. Wake me up when the Royals sign him.

We will just have to see how this plays out, and that will take a few years. In the short run, though, Matusz will define how the draft went.

Do you want Joe Jordan and the scouts to do the drafting or do you want Peter Angelos to buy a copy of Baseball America and just take the next player available on their top 200 list? Melvin is a HS pitcher. That's risky in of itself. Secondly, he'll be a very tough sign. You'd be the first one on here saying "Great pick, but it's a waste if they can't sign him." Avery sounds like he has a very high ceiling. I'm happy with that pick.

RZ, I understand what you're saying, I've been pissed and not pissed about this pick all day, back and forth. Love the ceiling, but we all know about the toolsy athletes in this Org.

We do? Who are they?

BTW, these guys are being talked about as if they dabbled in baseball on the side. They aren't nearly the athlete first/ baseball player 2nd that some of you guys are making them out to be. If Avery played in the AFLAC games he certainly is a top baseball player in his own right.

I realize that I'm getting my info from the websites everyone else is looking at too, I've never seen him play, but he sounds like an unpolished hitter/"athlete type". I admit my that my sample size (O's athlete types) relation is spurious in regards to my argument, but a project seems like a reach for us in the 2nd round.

faith in Jordan

Archived