It's July 2- Internationale!

weams

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I agree, it was a good one.  Wouldn't have thought to have asked that.  

Curious, why do you believe it's on PA and not DD?  

First of all, because DD essentially said so.

Second, because this policy started when a previous GM was in charge, and still continues, while the old GM has abandoned that approach under a different owner.

There's still stuff we don't know about the logic behind that decision, as outlined in my earlier post.    But I tend to agree with you and most other posters that it doesn't seem to make sense to largely abandon a market that supplies 25-30% of major league players.   

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Frobby said:

First of all, because DD essentially said so.

Second, because this policy started when a previous GM was in charge, and still continues, while the old GM has abandoned that approach under a different owner.

There's still stuff we don't know about the logic behind that decision, as outlined in my earlier post.    But I tend to agree with you and most other posters that it doesn't seem to make sense to largely abandon a market that supplies 25-30% of major league players.   

Ah, didn't see where DD said so.  

Yeah, it's a crap shoot...but like I said, it's safer at the 2 dollar tables. 

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

One thing I noticed off that link, the Dodgers signed 25 international players this year.  25!!! 

I think they'll be able to transition from a team that has a really high payroll to a more lean, younger and competitive team in a few years.  

Astros signed 26, the Padres 22.   

There's something I don't understand, though.    The Orioles have a Dominan Summer League team, that lists 36 players on its roster.     If the O's didn't sign most of these guys initially, then where did they come from?    Are they rejects from other teams?     Or is there some other way of acquiring Latin American players that doesn't show up on the list that BA compiles?

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Astros signed 26, the Padres 22.   

There's something I don't understand, though.    The Orioles have a Dominan Summer League team, that lists 36 players on its roster.     If the O's didn't sign most of these guys initially, then where did they come from?    Are they rejects from other teams?     Or is there some other way of acquiring Latin American players that doesn't show up on the list that BA compiles?

If they have a Dominican Summer League Team and aren't signing guys on the international market they're dumber than I thought.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

If they have a Dominican Summer League Team and aren't signing guys on the international market they're dumber than I thought.

In fact, from 2013-15 they had two DSL teams.    So my question remains, where have those players come from if we're not signing anyone?     

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In fact, from 2013-15 they had two DSL teams.    So my question remains, where have those players come from if we're not signing anyone?     

The Orioles do sign international players. They just typically sign players that are 17 or 18 years old or older and have been on the market for a while thus getting them on the cheap. They also do sign players released by other teams, see Jesus Liranzo and Yermin Mercedes. There are some players on the DSL team that have been released by other teams. On this year's DSL team they only have zero 16 year olds (players can sign at 16 years old-but cannot play until the next year typically so it is not unusual to not have any 16 year olds) and two 17 year olds on the roster. The great majority are 20 years old or older and are really non-prospects. Boston's DSL team also has only two 17 year olds (also zero 16 year olds) but they only have one 22 year old (the Orioles have ten players who are 22 years old or older). The Red Sox have one 21 year old and the Orioles have seven.

13 minutes ago, jcarm said:

The Orioles do sign international players. They just typically sign players that are 17 or 18 years old or older and have been on the market for a while thus getting them on the cheap. They also do sign players released by other teams, see Jesus Liranzo and Yermin Mercedes. There are some players on the DSL team that have been released by other teams. On this year's DSL team they only have zero 16 year olds (players can sign at 16 years old-but cannot play until the next year typically so it is not unusual to not have any 16 year olds) and two 17 year olds on the roster. The great majority are 20 years old or older and are really non-prospects. Boston's DSL team also has only two 17 year olds (also zero 16 year olds) but they only have one 22 year old (the Orioles have ten players who are 22 years old or older). The Red Sox have one 21 year old and the Orioles have seven.

Thanks, that's helpful.    So everyone on the BA list is a 16-year old, and they don't include guys who sign at older ages?

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Thanks, that's helpful.    So everyone on the BA list is a 16-year old, and they don't include guys who sign at older ages?

Agreed, thanks jcarm, that's very helpful.  I've often wondered the same thing myself.

Schoop did play in the DSL, so it's not like it's been a total waste for us, but by and large it sounds like it's mostly just filler there.  I wonder what the benefits are for us to have a team there if we're going to operate in this way.

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Agreed, thanks jcarm, that's very helpful.  I've often wondered the same thing myself.

Schoop did play in the DSL, so it's not like it's been a total waste for us, but by and large it sounds like it's mostly just filler there.  I wonder what the benefits are for us to have a team there if we're going to operate in this way.

I guess by having a team there our team's coaches can scout the opposition, so when the other teams cut guys we know which are the better scraps to pick up on the secondhand market.

About the league::

For the second year in a row, the Orioles are again fielding two teams in the Dominican Summer League. Teams began play in that league on Saturday and the regular season will end on Aug. 23. The Orioles, Rangers, Yankees and Mets are the four other organizations fielding two DSL teams.

The players on the teams are from eight different countries. They represent the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Mexico, Colombia, Panama, Curacao, Guatemala, and the Netherlands.

The DSL is a short-season league and basically an entry level version into pro baseball for young international players.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2014/06/a-look-at-the-orioles-two-dominican-summer-league-teams.html

Archived