I need a new hobby

Frobby

I would not call the Orioles a hobby of mine but a passion. I have been following them on a daily basis since I was little. I was buying baseball cards when I was 5 years old and listening to them on the radio by around probably 6-7 years old. I have spent more time in my life with the Orioles than anything else on some levels. I enjoy the strategy of the game and the building of teams. 

My father died last June. I was not really all that close to him outiside of the fact we were both big sports and Orioles fans. He is the reason I would be listening to games because he was listening to games. My late grandmother on my dad's side always had the game on, my late grandfather on my moms side always had the game on. I could not stop following this team if I wanted to. I just honestly don't think I could do  it. I think one of the things non-sports fans don't get is that connection you have. 

That said I can't let them ruin my day and no doubt when I was younger I did that. I know I will still get frustrated but there are more important things in the world than the Orioles. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a lifelong Orioles fan, and that will not change. I am just as interested now as I am when things are going well. But I am not a cool aide drinker. I have been a big detractor of Dan Duquette since he got here, and I think/hope that his tenure is coming to an end. I have always said that the winning teams we just enjoyed are more to the credit of Andy than anything else. Duquette in my opinion has been just short of awful, and maybe not too short, and has now left this team in dire straits and in need of a complete system over haul. It needs to start with the firing of Dan Duquette. Then it needs to continue with a progressive team builder who holds a fire sale, rebuilds the system from the bottom up and starts from scratch. You know, the right way to build an organization. Compete in 2018? Hell no. The target should be to compete annually starting in about 2020-2021. I hope that this can happen, but I doubt it.

I am an Orioles fan, and I will continue to be through the rebuild process and the losing seasons that will surely be in our immediate future should we have the guts to do this right. I will also be an Orioles fan if we continue this Ill advised path that we have been on. And if we do the latter, we will never be a true contender for anything. 

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I won't be taking up those hobbies, being the least handy adult male who I know.     Reading some more books and going on outdoor outings on the weekends is more what I have in mind.    

Outdoors is good. 

I've never been able to watch a lot of games when they consistently stink. I can take bad games when the team is playing well overall, but bad games during the putrid times ruin my day and make me a grumpy father and husband. I'm down to one full game a week at this point. I turn it off when it hits the fan. 

I don't post often now, nor did I back in my 33rd&ellerslie days, but I read the board every day and appreciate the insight, thoughts, rants, everything.  I live in Kansas City so I don't get enough orioles coverage.  I scan the internet, get the Sun online, pay for Sirius so I can hear broadcasts, have MLB AtBat on my phone.  I can't now nor will I ever get enough O's info.  I have balance in my life - father of four girls and all the activities that go with them.  I am a restaurant manager and have been for over 20 years, 50 hour weeks are kind of expected, but I find time for the O's each day.  I am not obsessed, but I do have 5 loves in my life - My God, My Country, My Family, The Orioles, Kansas State.  I love baseball, when the O's are great I love it, love the playoff run, the daily involvement, etc... but when the major league team isn't great or is struggling I still love them, but I can focus more on development, draft picks, Norfolk, Bowie, etc...  I don't have enough time ever to engage in all facets of my beloved team so I guess I'm blessed to be able to change focus to adapt to the situation.  I am cursed from birth, I guess, Oct. 8, 1966 - My dad was watching the O's play the World Series while Mom was in labor - legend has it I was born during the game.  I don't ever want to know the truth if it's different.  We won't and can't always be great but I love always wondering how we can be better.  I get Frobby's frustration; driving home last night after a long Friday in the restaurant only to hear us blow a 6 run lead in two innings, infield hits, Mancini's error, on an on, I felt horribly.  I had some choice words for the radio, for the world, for the baseball Gods in general, but I listened and hoped we'd come back.  Then runners on 1st and second, no outs and we found a way to turn hope into frustration again.  Ugggghhh.  But I'll be there today, listening, sneaking into the office to get updates, tuning my apple watch to the game so I can subtly get ESPN notifications while working the dining rooms =).  The Orioles aren't my hobby, they are an innate part of my life and my family and I reckon just like my family I'll love them and support them through good and bad (lots of bad).  I hope we sell; I hope we get younger; I hope we fill the farm with young talent.  I'll love engaging in that process if that happens.  I'm frustrated by the team right now, but I appreciate the men who play for the Orioles and wish them the best - I still root for Jayson Werth and appreciate how approachable he was in Bowie to my family and my girls and I still follow many who wore our uniform.  I recognize though that I am the worst kind of fan, the kind ownership doesn't have to placate, the kind whose voice isn't heard because it's never loud enough even when critical, and whose loyalty is never threatened.  I don't like that at all, but I live with it the same as I live with failed expectations - Just wake up the next day and throw on an orioles t-shirt under my suit and get on with my day I figure!  

19 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

It's so hard when there is no hope for the near future. DD took the bus off a very high cliff by refusing to make any moves that could have re-tooled the roster. It was very avoidable but DD wasn't interested in building a stable long term competitive franchise. Frankly not sure he has really been interested in the team at all since the Toronto incident

I not sure it's all on DD because Angelos is calling the shots. IMO. DD does deserve some blame though. 

I've watched almost every game. But sometimes I confess I have to turn it off and follow the slaughter on Gameday, while I listen to the news on the radio. Todays plan is to watch until Ubaldo melts down and then go for my afternoon walk.

Archived