Heyman: Dodgers interested in Britton

Luke-OH

Just now, pastorfan said:

I see what you are saying. I am speaking assuming he proves his health. In an almost perfect world we fleece the Dodgers for him and fleece the Nats for Brach!

Totally agree, just saying the deadline is coming up and the track record isn't exactly there this year. Still should get a nice package regardless, just saying him being hurt all year is going to hurt at least a little.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ISU94 said:

Totally agree, just saying the deadline is coming up and the track record isn't exactly there this year. Still should get a nice package regardless, just saying him being hurt all year is going to hurt at least a little.

I see that. Though, who knows, at the last minute one of these clubs might get stupid. The Dodgers have to feel pressure with the Cubs big move, so who knows what might happen. If I'm the Dodgers and I can have Britton and Jensen then I'm doing just about whatever I can to do that.

3 hours ago, ISU94 said:

Again though, they got Torres who is awesome but little else that are going to make much of an impact. A deal that I just posted would be quite a bit better than that. 

McKinney is still 22 and young for AA and AAA. He's hit over .300 in limited ABs at AAA. He looks like he OBAs about 75 point over his .275    Batting average. Looks like more than little else to me.

Crawford was hitting 292 at AA before his promotion to AAA. He hasn't done quite as we there .225 but he's still a year young for the league.

Warren has a 2. Era in 35 innings with a WHIP of .75 .....but the Yanks got little other than Torres ....Really?

"That stands to reason, of course, as every multi-player package has one player who's the most promising of all. Adam Warren is of course a former Yankee who struggled during his time with the Cubs. Still, he's a potential asset, as he's 28, under team control through the 2018 season, and capable of starting or working out of the bullpen.

Billy McKinney is the other notable. He turns 22 in August and is a speed, glove, and gap power outfielder in the mold of Brett Gardner. The Cubs originally acquired him from the A's, and he was a consensus top-100 prospect coming into 2016. However, he's struggled badly this season for Double-A Tennessee, especially in terms of power. What happened? It's possibly his slow recovery from a knee fracture he suffered late in the 2015 season. He has on-base skills but his ability to hit for average and power at the big-league level is left to question.

As for Rashad Crawford, he's a 22-year-old former 11th-rounder who can play center. He has speed on the bases, but he owns a career OPS of .674 and is yet to play above High-A."

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

McKinney is still 22 and young for AA and AAA. He's hit over .300 in limited ABs at AAA. He looks like he OBAs about 75 point over his .275    Batting average. Looks like more than little else to me.

Crawford was hitting 292 at AA before his promotion to AAA. He hasn't done quite as we there .225 but he's still a year young for the league.

"That stands to reason, of course, as every multi-player package has one player who's the most promising of all. Adam Warren is of course a former Yankee who struggled during his time with the Cubs. Still, he's a potential asset, as he's 28, under team control through the 2018 season, and capable of starting or working out of the bullpen.

Billy McKinney is the other notable. He turns 22 in August and is a speed, glove, and gap power outfielder in the mold of Brett Gardner. The Cubs originally acquired him from the A's, and he was a consensus top-100 prospect coming into 2016. However, he's struggled badly this season for Double-A Tennessee, especially in terms of power. What happened? It's possibly his slow recovery from a knee fracture he suffered late in the 2015 season. He has on-base skills but his ability to hit for average and power at the big-league level is left to question.

As for Rashad Crawford, he's a 22-year-old former 11th-rounder who can play center. He has speed on the bases, but he owns a career OPS of .674 and is yet to play above High-A."

I'll happily take a package including two of Alvarez/Buehler/Verdugo/Calhoun with a potential guy like Diaz/Heredia over the package the Cubs by a pretty solid amount. If you like McKinney cool, he may be a decent OF one day, but he doesn't have near the upside of most of the guys listed. I'd rather sell now and get a package like that then be stubborn and wait to deal a guy til next year when we aren't going anywhere whether we have him or not. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It's extremely important.   

Ordinarily I would be inclined to discount the value of the extra season, since Britton is a super two and this would be his fourth go at arbitration.  But the interested teams would not be deterred by that type of one year contract and, as it currently stands, Britton shouldn't receive that big of a raise.

Dodger fan here, but I promise I come in peace! I've been a lurker since there was a rumor of Bedard going to LA for Kemp and Broxton. 

I am more meaning this post to give a little insight into typical behavior from the Dodger FO. This isn't meant to say what is fair or not fair for Britton. One thing I will say too is that I don't put much weight in saying you're getting somebody's no.1 or no.2 prospect because the no.1 prospect of the Angels is probably no better than the no.5 of the White Sox or No. 4 of the Dodgers (as a broad example). 

This Dodger FO has been disinclined to trade what it believes to be elite prospects in any trade thus far. Cole Hamels cost Corey Seager and Urias, nope. Chapman or Miller for Bellinger, Nope. "But thats the missing piece to a World Series!" Same mantra and they haven't budged. It seems like Buehler has entered that realm. I would like to see if that thinking holds with a name like Archer, but for Britton (having seen this FO) they will pass and see what they can get using a combo of other players. Not to say that those other players won't be solid ML players. 

To me Calhoun is the most likely name to go in any trade for a reliever (maybe not too name but likeliest). He will be a solid major league hitter (maybe all star based on hitting) but the fielding is atrocious and he is much better suited for an AL team Of Tigers, A's, or O's. Did I mention that his fielding is atrocious. It's just that the hit tool is that good. 

Verdugo may be close to the same category as Buehler but not in the same realm yet. He doesn't have the power (yet) but he's 21, destroying AAA, with amazing patience, and solid defense in CF. With Dave Roberts leading the Dodgers I can see him as a lead off hitter for the next 5 years which makes Joc Pederson potentially expendable. 

Yadier Alvarez, electric stuff, but very raw and TINSTAAPP. 

Of the good young pitchers the Dodgers have I am actually most excited about Brock Stewart. Bombed his first couple of starts in the ML with an ERA of 18 in 9 innings but went on with 2.00 the rest of the way. 

The Dodgers have a couple of elite prospects. Not as many as say the SOX but their MiLB depth is unmatched and that provides the basis for a trade to a team like the O's that faces some major gaps after 2018. I may propose my trade thoughts a bit later. 

22 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Great post above.  But they did give up De la Cruz for Forsythe.

De Leon (JDL), but I don't think the FO held him in the Seager/Urias category. And Forsythe's contract was below market for 2 years against a 4-WAR production with a righty power bat at 2nd base. All glaring needs. Dodgers should solidify the bullpen but Dodgers-Righty-2B is akin to WAS needing a closer and if Dodgers made every prospect untouchable, deals would never get done. 

Now, onto what I think is fair. I don't think there's much use in arguing over the degree of elite one reliever has over another. If I'm picking relievers in 2016 I'm going with one of Jansen, Britton, Chapman, or Miller. To me, then it comes down to a few items when discussing trade. Health, years of control, value over contract (more ambiguous than the first 2). 

To me, the trade of Miller seems like a pretty fair comp. In that trade, the Yanks received a top 30 and a top 100 MLB prospect. But in the case of Miller, I think he has an advantage over Britton in all 3 categories. He wasn't DL'd twice for elbow concerns. Huge red flag. He had an extra year of control at the time of the trade. And he arguable had better value, getting paid 9MM per for 2.5 years vs Britton who is going to get market thru arbitration. 

Two weeks of health is not going to make people forget that Britton has 2017 forearm soreness. 

It it just depends on how the O's want to construct a trade if I'm the Dodgers FO. Do they want more premium talent but further down the line or lower ceiling talent closer to the ML Club. 

Personally, I think Calhoun headlining a trade with a 3rd party bringing another good prospect for Pederson and some combination of Dennis Santana (21yo Hi-A fast riser) or Ruiz(18yo-HiA good hitting catcher) seems fair given the concerns relative to Miller. I'm sure some here think I'm looking through my Dodger-tinted glasses, and maybe I am.  But the Dodgers have a want, not a need.  Britton is a luxury with health warts that may not be worth Verdugo and Alvarez.  I mean to say if you're the Dodgers and you already have Jansen and want a good lefty and Miller or Doolittle are out there and it won't cost you Verdugo or Alvarez you pick that option.  They've already shown a willingness to go that direction in the past

35 minutes ago, Hotdiggity said:

Personally, I think Calhoun headlining a trade with a 3rd party bringing another good prospect for Pederson and some combination of Dennis Santana (21yo Hi-A fast riser) or Ruiz(18yo-HiA good hitting catcher) seems fair given the concerns relative to Miller. I'm sure some here think I'm looking through my Dodger-tinted glasses, and maybe I am.  But the Dodgers have a want, not a need.  Britton is a luxury with health warts that may not be worth Verdugo and Alvarez.  I mean to say if you're the Dodgers and you already have Jansen and want a good lefty and Miller or Doolittle are out there and it won't cost you Verdugo or Alvarez you pick that option.  They've already shown a willingness to go that direction in the past

That seems light to me.  I think we'd get a better return than that, but I'm not expecting three top 50 prospects + as some seem to be.  

1 hour ago, Hotdiggity said:

Now, onto what I think is fair. I don't think there's much use in arguing over the degree of elite one reliever has over another. If I'm picking relievers in 2016 I'm going with one of Jansen, Britton, Chapman, or Miller. To me, then it comes down to a few items when discussing trade. Health, years of control, value over contract (more ambiguous than the first 2). 

To me, the trade of Miller seems like a pretty fair comp. In that trade, the Yanks received a top 30 and a top 100 MLB prospect. But in the case of Miller, I think he has an advantage over Britton in all 3 categories. He wasn't DL'd twice for elbow concerns. Huge red flag. He had an extra year of control at the time of the trade. And he arguable had better value, getting paid 9MM per for 2.5 years vs Britton who is going to get market thru arbitration. 

Two weeks of health is not going to make people forget that Britton has 2017 forearm soreness. 

It it just depends on how the O's want to construct a trade if I'm the Dodgers FO. Do they want more premium talent but further down the line or lower ceiling talent closer to the ML Club. 

Britton is a shut down closer and Chapman would be the comp not Miller. Sorry if it spoils your argument and in addition over the last few years Britton has been slightly better. In addition, Britton carries an extra year of control over the other two. 

In regards to health, history says that if a player returns to form and has no problems, teams will get concerned about his health now. It was a forearm strain and he's had several tests to look at the elbow and confirm such. So if he's dominant over the next few weeks no one is going to care about the earlier DL stint.

Bottom line is how bad do the Dodgers Want to win the WS? They've inquired and surely know Britton won't be cheap.

on the Orioles side, I doubt the Orioles will have interest in Calhoun if he's a poor fielding infielder or mediocre in the corner outfield.

The Orioles will be looking for starters and at very least get one if not both and I'd be surprised if it's not both Alvarez and Buehler. 

Chapman got 4 pretty good players with Torres as the centerpiece for two months. The Orioles asking price will start above that based on my opinion.

It should be the two pitchers mentioned with Heredia and White as two lower guys. Probably those 4 and a swop out for Calhoun. As I said if Calhoun is destined to be a mediocre defensive corner outfielder the Os are probably not interested. They have  Mancini already stuck at corner outfield because he's blocked by Davis at 1B and Jones will likely be moved to a corner eventually if they keep him, in addition they have Mullins and Hays among their best position prospects. Also Sisco doesn't look at that likely to stick at catcher due to his arm. So a position change to where else but corner outfield.

Perhaps Brendon Davis for the 5th player.

Archived