Heyman: Dodgers interested in Britton

Luke-OH

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I'd see if the Rays would be interested. They have a bunch of mlb ready prospects 

I really like De Leon but his injury past (plus he's hurt right now) make me iffy on him. Bauers is solid but I've heard him mostly talked about at 1B which we are likely pretty set at for a bit. Adames is interesting as we need a SS and Honeywell is awesome (but may also be difficult to get). Hu and Faria are both intriguing arms as well (Hu more of a #4 type though imo).

10 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

I really like De Leon but his injury past (plus he's hurt right now) make me iffy on him. Bauers is solid but I've heard him mostly talked about at 1B which we are likely pretty set at for a bit. Adames is interesting as we need a SS and Honeywell is awesome (but may also be difficult to get). Hu and Faria are both intriguing arms as well (Hu more of a #4 type though imo).

If Bauers can play the outfield he is an OBP machine. I would target Justin Williams as well. I doubt they'd do it but Jacob Faria would be awesome. 

Just now, Lucky_13 said:

If Bauers can play the outfield he is an OBP machine. I would target Justin Williams as well. I doubt they'd do it but Jacob Faria would be awesome. 

Yeah, Williams has some nice upside. Hasn't quite translated it yet but he's picking it up finally this year.

Also, we may want to add the Nats to the headline of this thread. Heyman just said that they have been calling us about Britton.

5 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

Add the Nats to the list of teams who have called per Heyman 

https://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/inside-baseball-nl-notes-nationals-call-orioles-britton/

• The Nationals would love to get Zach Britton. Not only is that obvious, but sources say the Nats have called about Britton.

I'd probably give them both Britton and Brach if they offered up Robles. 

Does the Quintana trade help set the market for a Britton trade - assuming Britton looks like his old self in the next couple of weeks?  Granted, Quintana's a starter and Britton's a reliever, but I'm thinking a dominant closer is worth a starter the level of Quintana.  The Cubs certainly gave up a haul to get Quintana.  

7 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Does the Quintana trade help set the market for a Britton trade - assuming Britton looks like his old self in the next couple of weeks?  Granted, Quintana's a starter and Britton's a reliever, but I'm thinking a dominant closer is worth a starter the level of Quintana.  The Cubs certainly gave up a haul to get Quintana.  

Britton's value just isn't as high. Three reasons...

1. Control - Britton is controlled for the rest of this year and 2018, where Quintana is controllable through 2020

2. Contract - Britton is making 11.4m this year and will probably get a raise next year in arb., Quintana is making 6m this year, 8.8m next year, 10.5m in 2019, and 10.5m in 2020

3. Health questions

If the control and contract were the same, and he was healthy then I'd say Britton would have comparable value given the importance of shutdown relievers in the postseason.

1 minute ago, phillyOs119 said:

Britton's value just isn't as high. Three reasons...

1. Control - Britton is controlled for the rest of this year and 2018, where Quintana is controllable through 2020

2. Contract - Britton is making 11.4m this year and will probably get a raise next year in arb., Quintana is making 6m this year, 8.8m next year, 10.5m in 2019, and 10.5m in 2020

3. Health questions

If the control and contract were the same, and he was healthy then I'd say Britton would have comparable value given the importance of shutdown relievers in the postseason.

I mean, an expiring Aroldis Chapman got Gleyber Torres who was a top 15-20 prospect last year. Billy McKinney was still seen pretty well too. Britton has a year of control on Aroldis and although Britton had some health issues I don't think that is going to make a contender desperate for relievers turn down making a big move for an elite RP.

12 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I think the Quintana trade helps "set the market" in the sense that it indicates buyers are willing to pay a steep price for pitching. It doesn't mean Britton will return the same as Quintana, obviously, but it helps indicate that a premium price is appropriate. 

Please move Britton if he looks good the next few weeks.   Remember that relievers have two characteristics:

[1]  they sometimes implode and turn into nothing.  (remember Johnson?)

[2] they often appear from nowhere and are good for a few years.

It is time to sell.  Britton and Brach are gone.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'd probably give them both Britton and Brach if they offered up Robles. 

You vaaaastly underestimate the market for elite relievers.  Britton has to bring back a package that includes Robles/Soto.  Then the Nats can decide if they want a championship or just another NLDS appearance.

7 minutes ago, JohnD said:

You vaaaastly underestimate the market for elite relievers.  Britton has to bring back a package that includes Robles/Soto.  Then the Nats can decide if they want a championship or just another NLDS appearance.

This. Andrew Miller got four players last year. Clint Frazier and and Justus Sheffield who were 44 and 88 prospects in baseball before last year. Fedde and Soto are in comparable positions this year. Robles is #4 so he would probably be the only guy you get for Britton. 

2 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

Also I don't see us dealing with the Nats, especially after the court decision today

Gaaah!    I'm not saying you're wrong, but that whole line of logic is just stupid.     This team needs to maximize its return on any asset it trades.    If the Nats offer the best value -- and that's fairly likely, given their lousy bullpen -- then that's who you trade with.    

Archived