TT: ORIOLES UNEQUIVOCALLY NEED TO BE SELLERS!

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Why would Seth Smith fetch a nice prospect and a throw in?

He's a platoon outfielder, two-month rental.  What did Steve Pearce cost last year? That's what we can expect back for Smith.  Trumbo will be a salary dump if we are even able to move him unless his bat really takes off. 

I personally think Smith is a better player. Good 4th OF on a good team. Good pinch hitter with some power. Just my opinion.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I personally think Smith is a better player. Good 4th OF on a good team. Good pinch hitter with some power. Just my opinion.

Pearce had a .900 + OPS when he got dealt last year for Jonah Heim, who was our 20th? ranked prospect at the time.  Seth is at .769.  You just called him a 4th OF.  A fourth outfielder doesn't get you a nice prospect and a throw-in.  It gets you just the throw-in.  

Just now, ChuckS said:

Pearce had a .900 + OPS when he got dealt last year for Jonah Heim, who was our 20th? ranked prospect at the time.  Seth is at .769.  You just called him a 4th OF.  A fourth outfielder doesn't get you a nice prospect and a throw-in.  It gets you just the throw-in.  

And he was hurt. 

Man, getting Torres, Sheffield, and Frazier for Manny would be a great haul. It really is too bad something like that will never happen. I bet the team stands pat or adds one or two guys like last year with Miley and Pearce. Groan.

51 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

4th OF on a good team is what I said. I'm not suggesting stud prospect. Look Pearce was a scrap heap player that was placed on waivers a few times. Not bothering to look it up ... And again he was traded despite an injury.

20 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

4th OF on a good team is what I said. I'm not suggesting stud prospect. Look Pearce was a scrap heap player that was placed on waivers a few times. Not bothering to look it up ... And again he was traded despite an injury.

Pearce had a nagging shoulder injury which we turned into a serious season ender due to repeatedly throwing him in the OF when he was visibly hurt.  It's besides the point because in our mind we weren't trading for an injured player. It's still a fair comp and maybe even a generous one considering Pearce had an OPS 150 points higher. 

I don't know what you consider a "nice prospect" to be but for me that would have to be someone ranked within a team's top ten.  Seth Smith will not be landing anyone like that IMO from a system with any depth. A platoon OF with a .760 OPS and an average glove just isn't worth that much on a two-month rental.  Maybe you get a potential bullpen arm or a lower minors project. 

5 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Pearce had a nagging shoulder injury which we turned into a serious season ender due to repeatedly throwing him in the OF when he was visibly hurt.  It's besides the point because in our mind we weren't trading for an injured player. It's still a fair comp and maybe even a generous one considering Pearce had an OPS 150 points higher. 

I don't know what you consider a "nice prospect" to be but for me that would have to be someone ranked within a team's top ten.  Seth Smith will not be landing anyone like that IMO from a system with any depth. A platoon OF with a .760 OPS and an average glove just isn't worth that much on a two-month rental.  Maybe you get a potential bullpen arm or a lower minors project. 

That's your opinion .... one could argue we were trading for a pinch hitter or a DH. With the Os medical protocol they knew what they were getting with Pearce. Only need to look at the Orioles history with physicals to know they had to know.

They made an offer they felt comfortable with knowing.

its not really worth arguing ...but there are no such injury concerns. We will see if he garners any interest.

6 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

"Who should be available? Everyone, bar none. I wouldn’t make this a firesale and get pennies on the dollar, but teams should know that for the right price, anyone is available."

Well said, Tony.

Everyone. 

10 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

10 hours ago, ChuckS said:

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

And he was hurt. 

I'd say the value you'd get for Smith is somewhere between what we gave up for Pearce (Heim) and what we gave up for Parra (Davies).     Probably some club's 10th-12th prospect.    

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'd say the value you'd get for Smith is somewhere between what we gave up for Pearce (Heim) and what we gave up for Parra (Davies).     Probably some club's 10th-12th prospect.    

Which equals my guesstimation of a good prospect and perhaps a throw in.

14 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Exactly right. While the Orioles are deciding whether or not they're contenders other teams will reap the rewards.

The Dodgers are interested in Britton? Do you think they'll still be interested two weeks from now when they and everyone else have met most of their needs? Even if they wait and get a deal done, how can you ever know it was the best deal out there by reducing your potential market?

Absolutely. The mountain of evidence says you are not a contender and the chances of you outplaying six teams the rest of the season with a garbage fire of a rotation is not good. the longer they evaluate, the more moves like yesterday happen where teams start fixing their holes. This will leave Angelos like this on July 30th:

DD can't be bothered to make a deal now, that would take work and he's the laziest GM in baseball.... he'll let all the major pieces move around and then pick from the trash heap

The O's won't sell, they will get a comp pick for Manny and Britton after having another sub .500 season in 2018.

Archived