TT: ORIOLES UNEQUIVOCALLY NEED TO BE SELLERS!

Tony-OH

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have anything productive to add to this 100% correct and true thread, which is summed up exactly by the title. 

I just wanted to "bump" the thread to ensure it stays at the top of the first page constantly, so that on the off-chance any decision-makers or their lieutenants in the Orioles organization happen to visit our forum, they see in bold-faced capital letters exactly what they should be doing from now until the trade deadline.

Just to make sure that the overwhelming sentiment of 95% of the community (per the poll) is heard loud and clear.

42 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

160+ million dollar payroll and you couldn't argue that the O's are the worst team in the AL

and yet folks are still debating on buy/sell for the trade deadline.

Sadly management/ownership is likely still doing the same thing!

23 minutes ago, Black Bat said:

What other contenders badly need a 3B then?  Come on, play along.  If you're going to critique, offer a solution.  Tony gave his rationale as to WHY Boston and NY.  Those are the two that sadly, need a 3B while others do not.  It's that simple. 

And Manny can play short.

I'm guessing he could play a mean second if he was asked to.  Bit of a waste but I'm sure he could do it.

On 7/13/2017 at 5:58 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I disagree with you, at least in regards to myself.

As for this team still being a contender?  They are getting older, Jones, Davis, Trumbo, O'Day we can expect decline.  They will need three starters, a shortstop and maybe a catcher and I don't see many answers in the farm system.

The "many answers" in the farm system are there, but they might not be ready for another 3 seasons, realistically, as far as the pitching goes.

Shortstop would depend what they do with Manny and they do have a few catching options, even if you avoid Sisco (Wynns, Levy, Fajardo are all capable).

They really need to determine what they want to do for their future and collect the pieces for it. Get prospects for positions you'll need. Stop getting has beens and never wheres for Norfolk too...

59 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

The "many answers" in the farm system are there, but they might not be ready for another 3 seasons, realistically, as far as the pitching goes.

Shortstop would depend what they do with Manny and they do have a few catching options, even if you avoid Sisco (Wynns, Levy, Fajardo are all capable).

They really need to determine what they want to do for their future and collect the pieces for it. Get prospects for positions you'll need. Stop getting has beens and never wheres for Norfolk too...

I don't think you can classify players performing well in A ball or rookie ball for that matter, as being answers at any point. Every team in baseball has pitchers like that in the lower minors putting up good numbers. The truth is that the solution to the SP problem is no where to be found within the organization.

We have one starting pitching prospect above Delmarva right putting up good numbers and he projects to be a middle to back end rotation starter in two or three years.  It's pathetic. 

I enjoy your take on the minor leagues, but I feel it's largely through a microscope that lacks any periphery. It's going to take some keen trades of current assets and probably some luck to solve that problem.   

16 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I don't think you can classify players performing well in A ball or rookie ball for that matter, as being answers at any point. Every team in baseball has pitchers like that in the lower minors putting up good numbers. The truth is that the solution to the SP problem is no where to be found within the organization.

We have one starting pitching prospect above Delmarva right putting up good numbers and he projects to be a middle to back end rotation starter in two or three years.  It's pathetic. 

I enjoy your take on the minor leagues, but I feel it's largely through a microscope that lacks any periphery. It's going to take some keen trades of current assets and probably some luck to solve that problem.   

It's thru a microscope that sees that not every pitcher that is going to be able to contribute will go 20-0 with a 1.00 ERA in the minors.

Remember, several places have Hunter Harvey as a Top 5 talent, with Gray Fenter and DL Hall not top far behind. These guys haven't done anything.

But we do have some pitchers that have taken some lumps, made adjustments, and become solid. Keegan Akin being a prime example. Struggled early, took some time out to figure out his flaws and fix them and is now one of the top minor league pitchers in the organization. Alex Wells has made some adjustments to keep the ball in the stadium. Players that are able to adjust and make corrections, even in Low A, stand a much better chance of helping than a "here I am, deal with it" player.

Neither one will probably end up as an "ace," but they could solve the "3" and "4" spots in the rotation.

We don't know what the Orioles plan is for the future. We don't even know Buck and Dans status for 2019. Do they want a firr sale? Patch up holes? Restock the farm? Get rid of every single penny of International money? Without that, ANY idea members of this board toss out lack any sort of periphery because of the unknown.

Sell Manny, Brach  and  Brittan.   We can get a ML ready player and two good prospects for Manny. There are a lot of 50-55 type grade 3rd basemen in the minors- some teams have several.  Make sure to get one of those.  He can throw bats at the third basemen in the Bronx for all I care.  He thinks baseball is a boring game to watch.   Brach and Brittan can each bring a high and a good low prospect.  That would give us 3 high prospects and 4 young prospects and help the farm system.

Unload Davis, Trombo, Smith, Castillo and Kim for whatever the market may bear.  Go for young prospects and not AAAA players. 

Move Schope to right field Mr. G to 2nd base for the rest of the year.

USE every international draft slot.  You don't have to scout this with people.  You can have a 50% success rate by using already published material and a check book. 

I have season tickets.  It is painful to see a team made up largely of complementary type players out there struggling and losing.   I would more gladly come and watch youngsters with potential play.

19 minutes ago, 1968_bills_fan said:

Sell Manny, Brach  and  Brittan.   We can get a ML ready player and two good prospects for Manny. There are a lot of 50-55 type grade 3rd basemen in the minors- some teams have several.  Make sure to get one of those.  He can throw bats at the third basemen in the Bronx for all I care.  He thinks baseball is a boring game to watch.   Brach and Brittan can each bring a high and a good low prospect.  That would give us 3 high prospects and 4 young prospects and help the farm system.

Unload Davis, Trombo, Smith, Castillo and Kim for whatever the market may bear.  Go for young prospects and not AAAA players. 

Move Schope to right field Mr. G to 2nd base for the rest of the year.

USE every international draft slot.  You don't have to scout this with people.  You can have a 50% success rate by using already published material and a check book. 

I have season tickets.  It is painful to see a team made up largely of complementary type players out there struggling and losing.   I would more gladly come and watch youngsters with potential play.

Pretty dumb of Manny to tell the truth there.  :rolleyes:

So you want the O's to pay for other teams to take the contracts?  Because I'm not at all sure that the five of them, combined, have positive value.

So you want to take Schoop and move him somewhere that his bat isn't plus?  I would expect Schoop to be less valuable in right.

I'd love to see where you conjured that number from.

41 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

A complete fire sale is in order but the poor decisions on Davis, O'Day, and Trumbo put us behind the eight ball to begin with.   There is no quick fix but he Orioles management is still living in the short term so my best guess is that they will hold onto Britton and Machado and try to make some short term fixes to the starting pitching in the off season and take one more final run next season.

I will be pleasantly surprised if either one is dealt before the deadline.   Even so, it's impossible to get back enough talent to fill all of the holes on this team going forward with very little help, particularly in the pitching department, over the next two years.    This is going to be a long road back which is why I think they will hold onto the core and take one more run next year.   

I'm very afraid of that happening.  I can definitely see the O's ending up with draft picks for Britton & Machado, which is criminal.  It's not even 1st round picks anymore.  Is it 2nd round picks or compensatory round?

8 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm very afraid of that happening.  I can definitely see the O's ending up with draft picks for Britton & Machado, which is criminal.  It's not even 1st round picks anymore.  Is it 2nd round picks or compensatory round?

It's the same picks as previous seasons.  Comp picks at the end of the first round.  The only caveat is that teams that acquire FAs don't lose their first.  So you are looking at a pick from 31-40ish instead of 25ish to 35ish.

Archived