Why not Sell and Buy?

Bahama O's Fan

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'm glad you blessed us with some cub fan insight in your rare postings here.  

Please stop trolling. If you have a counter point to make fine, but why are you worried whether or not he's a Cubs fan? Either way, stay on the subject and make your points. Thanks.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Please stop trolling. If you have a counter point to make fine, but why are you worried whether or not he's a Cubs fan? Either way, stay on the subject and make your points. Thanks.

I'm too old to know what trolling even means. So that's an easy fix.  

My point is that the Cubs aren't some model franchise for developing players. They took advantage of the old system in 2013 and spent many millions in the international market. That's like saying the Red Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers are great at development because they gave player "X" 200 million. 

Bashing the Orioles is fine, we're all fans, but do we have to sit through the gushing over the Cubs?   

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

My point is that the Cubs aren't some model franchise for developing players. They took advantage of the old system in 2013 and spent many millions in the international market. That's like saying the Red Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers are great at development because they gave player "X" 200 million. 

Bashing the Orioles is fine, we're all fans, but do we have to sit through the gushing over the Cubs?   

Trolling_02162010135617.jpg

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That's fine if you don't think what the Cubs have done with their farm system is impressive. But don't bash other people/tell them they're fans of that team just because they think differently.

There are plenty of big market teams that can pay money to do stuff like the Cubs do, yet we don't see them consistently churning up top prospects/having great young players every year getting onto the scene and being top 20-50 prospects. 

These guys they are getting may have lots of talent, but that isn't the end all be all. We have had a lot of talented guys come in here but not be able to reach their potential. I would feel like us Orioles fans would realize just how important developing young talent is considering we were bottom dwellers for a very long period of time and continue to struggle to develop young talent. 

Point is, do they have more opportunities to develop guys than us considering the level of talent they have been getting compared to us? Of course. But acting as if these guys should just "be good" because they were highly touted teenagers is ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Russell and Rizzo were guys that they acquired by trading guys they had drafted (Samardija and Cashner).

They drafted Bryant, Schwarber, Happ, Baez, Almora.  Yeah, those were first round picks.  But they weren't wasted on guys like Matusz and Hobgood.

I think the team could use the relievers/Free agents to get some young talent that could extend our competitive window while also buying some pieces to see if we can get back into the race this year and be competitive next year. 

Britton to Dodgers for RHP Walker Buehler,  RHP Brock Stewart, and RHP Mitchel White 

Brach and Seth Smith to Rays for OF Jake Bauers, RHP Chih Wei Hu, LHP Ryan Yarbrough 

C Wellington Castillo and LHP Wade Miley to Angels for SS David Fletcher   

DFA Jimenez, Trade Kim for whatever 

LHP Keegan Akin and 3B Jomar Reyes to Pirates for LHP Tony Watson and SS Jordy Mercer 

OF DJ Stewart and RHP Mitchel White to Giants for RHP Jeff Samardzija 

Rotation: Gausmen, Samardzija, Tillman, Buehler, Stewart

Bullpen : Givens, O'day, Bundy, Watson, Bleier, Wotherspoon, Wei Hu 

1B: Davis 

2B: Schoop 

3B: Machado 

SS: Mercer

C: Joseph 

LF: Mancini 

CF: Jones

RF: Bauers

DH: Trumbo 

Bench: Rickard, Gentry, Tejada, Wynns 

Thoughts?

9 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I think the team could use the relievers/Free agents to get some young talent that could extend our competitive window while also buying some pieces to see if we can get back into the race this year and be competitive next year. 

Britton to Dodgers for RHP Walker Buehler,  RHP Brock Stewart, and RHP Mitchel White 

Brach and Seth Smith to Rays for OF Jake Bauers, RHP Chih Wei Hu, LHP Ryan Yarbrough 

C Wellington Castillo and LHP Wade Miley to Angels for SS David Fletcher   

DFA Jimenez, Trade Kim for whatever 

LHP Keegan Akin and 3B Jomar Reyes to Pirates for LHP Tony Watson and SS Jordy Mercer 

OF DJ Stewart and RHP Mitchel White to Giants for RHP Jeff Samardzija 

Rotation: Gausmen, Samardzija, Tillman, Buehler, Stewart

Bullpen : Givens, O'day, Bundy, Watson, Bleier, Wotherspoon, Wei Hu 

1B: Davis 

2B: Schoop 

3B: Machado 

SS: Mercer

C: Joseph 

LF: Mancini 

CF: Jones

RF: Bauers

DH: Trumbo 

Bench: Rickard, Gentry, Tejada, Wynns 

Thoughts?

Some bad deals for the Os there and some that would not happen. Also, does not address the 800 LB Gorilla of Machado needing to be traded. 

You Keep Akin and the Giants would never want Stewart. 

Just now, weams said:

Some bad deals for the Os there and some that would not happen. Also, does not address the 800 LB Gorilla of Machado needing to be traded. 

You Keep Akin and the Giants would never want Stewart. 

Yeah I honestly can't get a sense of the value of Orioles prospects. Realistically I don't see Machado being traded so might as well try to be competitive with him during the remainder of his Orioles tenure.

2 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Yeah I honestly can't get a sense of the value of Orioles prospects. Realistically I don't see Machado being traded so might as well try to be competitive with him during the remainder of his Orioles tenure.

The Machado trade is the only one that truly matters. Better not screw that one up. 

4 minutes ago, weams said:

The Machado trade is the only one that truly matters. Better not screw that one up. 

One could argue that you could trade Machado and Britton right now and get enough talent back to make us competitive next season with a few other signings.

Just now, clapdiddy said:

One could argue that you could trade Machado and Britton right now and get enough talent back to make us competitive next season with a few other signings.

And I would disagree. Sell now, down for a couple. The sell and become competitive again approach doesn't work for me. 

Archived