Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

The Rays might still need BP help. Did they passive aggressively punt on the wild card race? Romo and Jennings? 

They just bought Duda from the Mets. I don't think they are punting.

34 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

The Rays might still need BP help. Did they passive aggressively punt on the wild card race? Romo and Jennings? 

Jenningss came in to game with lead and couldn't even get an out.

3 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

This trade deadline is so busy.

The fact that the Orioles are not doing anything is very telling that they are not trying real hard.  6-7 and no moves was my prediction 2 weeks ago.  I stick by it.

Is this a reaction to the Erasmo Ramirez and Lucas Duda trades? Because the Orioles certainly aren't in a position to trade a starting pitcher and/or first baseman. I'm holding my judgement until Monday evening. Until then I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. 

19 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

This trade deadline is so busy.

The fact that the Orioles are not doing anything is very telling that they are not trying real hard.  6-7 and no moves was my prediction 2 weeks ago.  I stick by it.

Probably more than half of the deadline moves in MLB will happen between now and the deadline.    

I've always thought that it made no sense to wait to the deadline if you're buying veterans for a playoff push.  It seems to me that you should try to add that impact player as early as possible so you have them longer.

But I see no reason not to wait as long as you need to if you're selling veterans.  Why take an offer that you don't think is a good value for your veteran players just to make a trade?  I have no problem with taking your time to get the best possible deal before you sell.

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

In July 2011, could you reasonably make the case for the 2012 team to be contenders?

It's pretty simple, really.     You acquire a few pitchers who turn out a little better than expected.    It won't exactly be difficult to improve on the performance of this year's staff.    Whether you can improve it by a sufficient amount is largely a matter of good fortune, which sometimes happens.   

I don't think the 2012 team counts as reasonable. Sure maybe they find a starting pitcher in this weeds while also setting marks in one run games and bullpen wpa.

But it isn't a reasonable expectation.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think the 2012 team counts as reasonable. Sure maybe they find a starting pitcher in this weeds while also setting marks in one run games and bullpen wpa.

But it isn't a reasonable expectation.

2012 came out of nowhere. Absolutely no one predicted that team doing what it did. A completely unreliable outlier. And a hell of a year. 

Archived