TT: Is Bridwell's success with the Angels a strike against the Orioles?

Tony-OH

Just now, Frobby said:

I wouldn’t have bumped this thread merely because Bridwell had a bad ERA this spring.   Mike Scioscia apparently didn’t like what he saw.

Ariel Miranda also has been optioned to the minors, though it’s possible he’ll be recalled when the Mariners first need a fifth starter (April 11). 

Bridwell likely is first man up, too, as long as he doesn’t completely fall apart in AAA.

As for Scioscia, I’ve never understood how he’s the longest tenured ML manager. And I know him better than most, my dad gives me regular updates on his favorite team

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Bridwell likely is first man up, too, as long as he doesn’t completely fall apart in AAA.

As for Scioscia, I’ve never understood how he’s the longest tenured ML manager. And I know him better than most, my dad gives me regular updates on his favorite team

Are the kind of updates we get on Buck and how he, too, is dumber than a fencepost? Sometimes those closest have the harshest criticism.

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

Are the kind of updates we get on Buck and how he, too, is dumber than a fencepost? Sometimes those closest have the harshest criticism.

Not necessarily. It has more to do with plays like ‘running on contact from 3B’ or his over reliance on the BP. And he likes him as a person, one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Probably smarter than a fence post.

17 minutes ago, weams said:

Yes. Parker was always better than Tyler Wilson. Who should have been waived first. 

Recognizing that stats aren’t everything....

Parker Bridwell had a career 4.74 ERA in the minors.   He had a 1.421 WHIP, and a 2-1 K/BB ratio.   He’d barely touched AAA at age 25, throwing 40 innings total to a 5.01 ERA.

Tyler Wilson had a 3.85 career ERA in the minors, 3.99 in AAA.  He had a 1.21 WHIP and a 3.3-1 K/BB ratio.   

We already had reason to think Wilson wasn’t going to cut it in the majors by last spring, but truthfully we had no reason to think Bridwell would have any success there.    

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Bump...Bridwell was optioned to AAA last week after posting a 7.91 ERA this spring.  

Pretty surprising. Imagine the Orioles being in a position to option a starter who put up a 3.64 ERA last year. Meanwhile the orioles are running out Chris Tillman and Mike Wright the next two nights,

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Parker Bridwell had a career 4.74 ERA in the minors.   He had a 1.421 WHIP, and a 2-1 K/BB ratio.   He’d barely touched AAA at age 25, throwing 40 innings total to a 5.01 ERA.

Tyler Wilson had a 3.85 career ERA in the minors, 3.99 in AAA.  He had a 1.21 WHIP and a 3.3-1 K/BB ratio.   

We already had reason to think Wilson wasn’t going to cut it in the majors by last spring, but truthfully we had no reason to think Bridwell would have any success there.    

Not completely true. Bridwell always had much better stuff than Wilson, just his consistency was lacking in the minors. Now am I surprised that he had as much success that he had as a starter last year? Sure. He just seemed like the kind of pitcher that if he was going to be a major leaguer it would be as a reliever due to the lack of consistent breaking ball. 

Always thought he would go out to the pen, throw mid-90s and maybe touch high 90s and use his slider or changeup. Of course i always liked him more than others until I finally gave up on him as a prospect when i saw him show up in Camden Yards throwing 91-92. Then again Wieters would't call for his changeup which was his best offspeed pitch so I just really didn't know what to make of him.

I'd say he was a surprise last year, but I also think he always had a decent ceiling, unlike Wilson who was going to have to do it on extreme command and guile with little room for error.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Not arguing that the Davies deal was bad.

But the hindsight assumption that they had no business going for it that year is just that -- hindsight.   Yes, you said so at the time.   But you also were just as adamant that they shouldn't go for it in 2012.

Everything is obvious in the rear view mirror.

They made a bad deal in "going for it", but I still believe going for it when you are where we were is not a bad strategy.   Just do it BETTER.   And don't give up Davies.

They definitely have problems with evaluating and/or developing pitchers.   And they put way too much value on someone who has "done it in the majors" for some period of time in the past. 

Even if the right move was to "go for it" Parra was a terrible choice.

You don't go for it by acquiring a CO with declining defensive metrics whose offense is buoyed by an unsustainable BABIP.

So yea, they gave away Davies for nothing.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Even if the right move was to "go for it" Parra was a terrible choice.

You don't go for it by acquiring a CO with declining defensive metrics whose offense is buoyed by an unsustainable BABIP.

So yea, they gave away Davies for nothing.

Agree.

BTW, I deleted my post but you had already quoted it to respond to it I guess.   I didn't realize the thread was a bump from Bridwell's being sent down.   I didn't notice the date and thought it was a new thread and chimed in with my opinion of a post on page 3 before I realized I was re-reading posts from last summer.   So I deleted it.   NBD, I didn't say anything I regret, just realized that I was rehashing an old argument in an old thread.   The poor horse's carcass can only take so much.

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I did. I always liked Bridwell's arm. And Texas was always sniffing around him in trade takes. 

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Not completely true. Bridwell always had much better stuff than Wilson, just his consistency was lacking in the minors. Now am I surprised that he had as much success that he had as a starter last year? Sure. He just seemed like the kind of pitcher that if he was going to be a major leaguer it would be as a reliever due to the lack of consistent breaking ball. 

Always thought he would go out to the pen, throw mid-90s and maybe touch high 90s and use his slider or changeup. Of course i always liked him more than others until I finally gave up on him as a prospect when i saw him show up in Camden Yards throwing 91-92. Then again Wieters would't call for his changeup which was his best offspeed pitch so I just really didn't know what to make of him.

I'd say he was a surprise last year, but I also think he always had a decent ceiling, unlike Wilson who was going to have to do it on extreme command and guile with little room for error.

Thanks. 

Archived