TT: Is Bridwell's success with the Angels a strike against the Orioles?

Tony-OH

On 7/29/2017 at 5:24 PM, thezeroes said:

February 6, 2012

Traded Jeremy Guthrie to the Colorado Rockies. Received Jason Hammel and Matt Lindstrom.

Very underrated move, here. Hammel was great for the O's in 2012. Guthrie bottomed out in Colorado before finding a home in KC.

Lindstrom was pretty good in his time in Baltimore, too. Before being flipped for... Joe Saunders. Who did good work in his time here.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bridwell has been the bright spot in the LAA lineup. However, he has a close to 5 FIP, .272 BABIP, and a low K rate (5.8K/9). These numbers are similar (albeit better) to Hellickson but the edge is still Bridwell.

I am hoping the offense stays hot.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I will root for the young man when he's pitching against someone else, but for tonight, I hope we pound him.    

Some people will remember I had an exchange of posts with "Pitch Mom," who got angry with me a few years ago when I questioned whether Bridwell belonged on a top prospects list.    I mentioned it in a post when Bridwell left, and she PM'd me and told me that someone else had used her account to make those posts and she never would have written them herself.   She seemed very nice and I believed her and wished Parker good luck with the Angels.   I'm glad for her and Parker that his career has taken such a positive turn since the trade, while I'm still miffed about why we couldn't bring his best out of him.    

I've found that most of the time angry e-mails/comments come from brothers and occasionally the player himself disguised as someone else.

He's done real well in 10 games, but I'm not a Bridwell believer.  Nearly 700 ordinary career minor league innings... and he was never particularly young for his league.  Just doesn't make sense that he gets it at age 26 in the majors.  

36 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

He's done real well in 10 games, but I'm not a Bridwell believer.  Nearly 700 ordinary career minor league innings... and he was never particularly young for his league.  Just doesn't make sense that he gets it at age 26 in the majors.  

No more sense than Beckham suddenly getting it at 27. Baseball's a funny game.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I will root for the young man when he's pitching against someone else, but for tonight, I hope we pound him.    

Some people will remember I had an exchange of posts with "Pitch Mom," who got angry with me a few years ago when I questioned whether Bridwell belonged on a top prospects list.    I mentioned it in a post when Bridwell left, and she PM'd me and told me that someone else had used her account to make those posts and she never would have written them herself.   She seemed very nice and I believed her and wished Parker good luck with the Angels.   I'm glad for her and Parker that his career has taken such a positive turn since the trade, while I'm still miffed about why we couldn't bring his best out of him.    

Thank you for this. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

It pretty hard to deny that a number of guys have had success once leaving this organization. Who knows if Bridwell will stick for any length of time? No matter what though, he has given the Angels good solid valuable innings, something that we could have used. It bugs me that they were able to get that out of a guy we thought so little of, we just outright sold the guy to them.

Not sure where the real issues lay with pitcher development. I am sure many of you are far more educated in that regard. I do believe though this is an issue that needs to be addressed.

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

No more sense than Beckham suddenly getting it at 27. Baseball's a funny game.

That's not a good comparison, imo.  Beckham was already a decent major leaguer, and he's been here about a week.  Bridwell was just a mediocre minor leaguer...

27 minutes ago, SteveO said:

Not sure where the real issues lay with pitcher development. I am sure many of you are far more educated in that regard. I do believe though this is an issue that needs to be addressed.

I don't know that any of us really are more educated, except maybe Tony.    The rest of us just read the same stats, articles and interviews as anyone else.     There's a lot that goes on under the radar.  

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

That's not a good comparison, imo.  Beckham was already a decent major leaguer, and he's been here about a week.  Bridwell was just a mediocre minor leaguer...

Beckham was mediocre until this year.

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't know that any of us really are more educated, except maybe Tony.    The rest of us just read the same stats, articles and interviews as anyone else.     There's a lot that goes on under the radar.  

Oh to be a fly on the wall for some of that under the radar type stuff.

Most likely,, as with most things, its some of this and some of that. Put your finger on one hole and the next one springs a leak. It's almost never as easy as identifying just one thing and fixing it.

• 7 months later...
1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

What was Bundy’s ERA this spring?

I wouldn’t have bumped this thread merely because Bridwell had a bad ERA this spring.   Mike Scioscia apparently didn’t like what he saw.

Ariel Miranda also has been optioned to the minors, though it’s possible he’ll be recalled when the Mariners first need a fifth starter (April 11). 

Archived