Are any of the teams in the Wild Card race sellers?

wildcard

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Then why is there still talk about he O's trading Britton at the deadline?  

Aha! I had a feeling that the OP was a trick question. Haha.

I would say that at 3.5 games back the O's mathematically have a shot, but they really don't look like they have a realistic chance to advance. I'm encouraged that they were able to hang with Houston, but in my opinion, they aren't good enough to be worried about an elite closer right now.

It's late July and we are sub .500, so let's start thinking about next year.

Trade deadline is still a week away. Important series starts tonight. What do we do if we sweep TB and are 1 1/2 back of the second WC spot at the end of the week? I'm sure the core of this team does not want to quit. What message do you send Mancini, Schoop, Bundy and others you want to build around if you throw in the towel within 2 games of a playoff spot?

Let's see where we sit on Sunday. 

If you go for it this year, it's safe to say you're going for it next year as well. So tell me, is it worth it to  go for it on very low odds just to try and sneak into a one game playoff? If you wait to move Machado/Britton/Brach until next year's deadline you can guarantee yourself you're going to get a substantially lesser return.

4 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

Trade deadline is still a week away. Important series starts tonight. What do we do if we sweep TB and are 1 1/2 back of the second WC spot at the end of the week? I'm sure the core of this team does not want to quit. What message do you send Mancini, Schoop, Bundy and others you want to build around if you throw in the towel within 2 games of a playoff spot?

Let's see where we sit on Sunday. 

We have Miley AND Ubaldo starting in TB

5 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

If you go for it this year, it's safe to say you're going for it next year as well. So tell me, is it worth it to  go for it on very low odds just to try and sneak into a one game playoff? If you wait to move Machado/Britton/Brach until next year's deadline you can guarantee yourself you're going to get a substantially lesser return.

The goal every year is to win the WS. The hardest part of baseball is getting in the post season. Any team can beat any team in a one game series, and even the Astro's can lose a 7 game series to a much lesser opponent. 

I believe to goal should always be to get into the post season. If you are well out of reach at the trade deadline, you move pieces to put your team in position to get back to the post season ASAP. 

If you play 4 months of baseball and find yourself within a game or two of a post season spot, I say you try and get in, without mortgaging the future if possible. 

I don't think any of the teams in the East are going to be big sellers. The central already has the tigers and white Sox. The west has Oak. The WC teams get to beat up on those teams in division play. 

KC is in a weak division with two terrible teams in it. That might push them into the playoffs alone. 

1 hour ago, Orsulak4Prez said:

Aha! I had a feeling that the OP was a trick question. Haha.

I would say that at 3.5 games back the O's mathematically have a shot, but they really don't look like they have a realistic chance to advance. I'm encouraged that they were able to hang with Houston, but in my opinion, they aren't good enough to be worried about an elite closer right now.

It's late July and we are sub .500, so let's start thinking about next year.

To say that the O's can't pick up 3.5 games in 10 weeks is not a strong position.  Its possible for the O's to do but not a sure thing. Every wild card team has their flaws.   Getting Davis, Tillman and Britton back helps.  

If Dan following his normal pattern he will trade a minor leaguer for a #4 starter at the deadline.  Then the O's will have 4 starters that give them a fighting chance through August.  In September the roster expands and the O's will add minor league relievers to off load the starters.  Buck has a history on doing very well in September with more pitchers to maneuver.

I think the O's ownership and management will make their decisions on 2017  and 2018 FA during this coming off season.

Archived