Are any of the teams in the Wild Card race sellers?

wildcard

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Who said I'm listening to them?    I  asked you what YOU thought the odds were.   You didn't answer my question.    

Try it this way:

1.   If the O's acquire a decent starting pitcher, their chances of making the playoffs are __%.

2.   If the O's stand pat, their chances of making the playoffs are __%.

I'm genuinely interested to know what numbers you'd put in the blanks, and what you think it'll cost us to get a decent starting pitcher.

Too many factors to give a number.   And it not all about the O's.  If some else get hot that has an impact. Also their are injuries  that are unforeseen.

However, this team was built  to win and their are some things that have happen that are more then expected.   Mancini.  Tejada stepping up in July.  Castro and Bleier.     This is a good team that is a starter away from the playoffs IMO.  I think the O's have to go for it.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I love you weams, but I get tired of folks blaming Ubaldo or Buck (for not using Britton) for that loss.   We were held scoreless for the last 7 innings, didn't put on a single baserunner over the last 4 innings.     I blame the offense.   Their approach at the plate got worse and worse as the game progressed.    

I love you too. And I support Buck and Ubaldo.  But it was a pitch from being a different game. That means the season came down to a pitch. Not half the year. 

21 hours ago, Babypowder said:

This. Just saying we are only 3.5 games back makes it sound much closer than it actually is.

Lot of games to be played.  This is not a math problem with a solution. I agree, this team is more likely to be bad than good. They are within striking distance not only of the WCs but also the division. Despite horrible pitching. 

21 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

If it were as simple as picking up 3.5 games I'd say go for it, (even though we have one of the worst run differentials which has shown to have predictive value for future results).

However, the problem is we don't just need to pick up 3.5 games.

We would have to outplay TB and KC by 3.5 games each.

Min by 2.5 games.

And Tex, LA, and Sea by 1 game.

If any of those teams even manages an equal record to the O's going forward we are done. 

This is a very good post. 

During the 14 years of losing all we used to ask for was meaningful baseball in September. With the bullpen we have, we can scratch and claw to grind games out. We can't do that wit Ubaldo. Miley is likely just as good as anything we would buy anyway. At least in July. 

I say give the team a fighting chance and go get Gonzo. Plus we're only 6 GB in the division. 

22 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

If it were as simple as picking up 3.5 games I'd say go for it, (even though we have one of the worst run differentials which has shown to have predictive value for future results).

However, the problem is we don't just need to pick up 3.5 games.

We would have to outplay TB and KC by 3.5 games each.

Min by 2.5 games.

And Tex, LA, and Sea by 1 game.

If any of those teams even manages an equal record to the O's going forward we are done. 

Add in that Tampa, KC, Min, and Seattle have all already made moves to get better while the Orioles have not.

3 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Add in that Tampa, KC, Min, and Seattle have all already made moves to get better while the Orioles have not.

Sergio Romo didn't look like much of an improvement last night!

If we sweep this Tampa series I think DD may pull the trigger on some move to try to improve the team.     

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sergio Romo didn't look like much of an improvement last night!

If we sweep this Tampa series I think DD may pull the trigger on some move to try to improve the team.     

He looked like the Tasmanian Devil on fumes.  

If DD does trade a good prospect, I will not be happy - but I agree with you.  

If we're not going to make moves at the deadline to acquire young talent, I would rather try to make the 2017 strategy work by DFAing Ubaldo and trying the AAA guys, starting with Asher, rather than try to acquire a starter in a difficult market for buyers.

I really wouldn't want to see a trade for Dickey. The goal should be to get  a fifth starter who's consistently mediocre rather than one who's an adventure each time out. And innings eating will be less important once we get to September 1.

The odds of getting to the postseason are long, but it could be fun to watch.

Archived