Realistically, fix the SP so we can contend down the stretch

ScGO's

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no fixing. There is nothing on the farm to come help, there is nothing on the farm to trade for help, and the only realistic way is having the current staff do much better which no one should be counting on. Even if they did get a couple trades for decent enough SP that they could slip in the second wild card, I have no faith that this staff could make it in playoff baseball when pitching rules.

50 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

If your GM is making bad decisions because he has a short time horizon, then it is the owner's job to veto those decisions and to find a different GM.  

And there are people like Brady around to whisper in Peters ear.

3 hours ago, Ruzious said:

We're not going to be competing down the stretch, but one change I would make is to start Lucas Long and get Ubaldo off the roster.  Long's had a very fine season in AA and has gone 7 innings each of his last 2 starts.  

I agree; much more impressive than our AAA options. Maybe he cracks off a streak of 5 or so quality starts before scouting reports catch up with him. Could be fun to see if we are competing.  Thoughts on Akin? Too soon or could he handle a small sample size while providing value.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Trade our bullpen arms for pitching prospects and whatever else like Smith, Castillo that he's allowed to trade.

Agree with this idea 100%, but I think the gist of the initial post was how do we fix our starting pitching THIS season. The point is we can't (and shouldn't). The worst thing we could possibly do is try a band aid approach and trade for someone like Darvish or Lynn, who will be a FA next season. Need to play the long game. Britton, Brach, Smith, and Castillo should all be traded for prospects. There's a market for all of them. If they're not moved is completely on the GM and/or Angelos. 

• The Tigers are “aggressively shopping” Justin Verlander, Feinsand hears, but Detroit also “doesn’t appear willing to eat much” of Verlander’s remaining contract to facilitate a deal. Feinsand spoke to one American League GM that termed most of the talks regarding Verlander as “idle conversation,” though that GM also predicted that the former Cy Young winner will be moved by next Monday’s deadline.
  • Rajai Davis, Athletics | Salary: $6MM
  1. Davis is an incredible baserunner who’s only a year removed from a fine season in Cleveland, where he hit this playoff home run, but an offensive decline has torpedoed his age-36 campaign. Through 265 trips to the plate, Davis has slashed a meager .231/.292/.339. He hasn’t been particularly valuable in the field, either, having drawn a neutral DRS mark and posted a minus-4.1 UZR in 548 innings. Maybe a contender would want Davis for his brilliance on the base paths, but the A’s would surely have to eat a large portion of his remaining money

Okay, you are saying if you HAD to fix it. No sell, ownership demands it, or whatever, but you have to.

1. Go get Darvish. Pay whatever they ask for. It may hurt you long term or may even mean giving up some young hitting

2. DFA Ubaldo immediately. Pretty obvious as we all have been mentioning it.

3. If I really must fix the pitching, then I go to Mil about Garza, Texas about Cashner or STL about Lynn.

These moves may decimate the team other wise, but I believe we would fix the starting pitching for the remainder of the year.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Agree with this idea 100%, but I think the gist of the initial post was how do we fix our starting pitching THIS season. The point is we can't (and shouldn't). The worst thing we could possibly do is try a band aid approach and trade for someone like Darvish or Lynn, who will be a FA next season. Need to play the long game. Britton, Brach, Smith, and Castillo should all be traded for prospects. There's a market for all of them. If they're not moved is completely on the GM and/or Angelos. 

There is no fixing the starting pitching this year! Any stop gap measure will be for a marginal improvement that won't get it done. We dont have the ponies to go get Sonny Gray or Darvish as we will almost certainly get outbid. And we need 2-3 of those guys and the Orioles need to be willing to dump Miley and Ulbaldo's salary. I've seen nothing that leads me to believe that they are willing to do that.

On your second part I agree with you ......I wouldn't say that there is the right market to flip Britton. Britton needs to bring back the right package.

As mentioned

Dodgers....Buehler, Heredia, White, & one of Stewart/May/Oaks/Sborz

Astros Tucker, Whitley, Moran, C Perez

If you don't get that now maybe you deal Britton in the offseason or at the break.

But like you I think the market is here and don't buy the positioning argument that is floated in the media about Britton's health when he's throwing 98 and saving games.

Archived