Realistically, fix the SP so we can contend down the stretch

ScGO's

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, pastorfan said:

It is lunacy, but it might happen. Listen, if DD knows he won't be here beyond 2018 (and surely, he has to have some indication if that is the case) then his goal is going to be able to win as many games as possible even if you don't make the playoffs. Then he can say, "hey, look how many games we won under my tenure." And really, who can blame him? We are thinking like fans, he is thinking like a business man. After all, coming into this year how much did we hear about the fact that the Orioles won more games than anyone over the last five years? Never mind the fact that our farm system is barren. 

DD is a key executive in a business worth around a billion dollars, so I think it is likely that he spends a great deal of his workday thinking like a businessman.  Also, probably somewhere near the top, if not at the very top, of his job description is winning as many games as possible, so it's hard to fault him for doing exactly that whether it serves some separate personal agenda or not.

Here's an alternate theory:  DD spends everyday working as professionally as possible within the parameters established by his employer.  Just like we all do.  

You'd have to be willing to take on bad contracts. Justin Verlander might be a possibility. If Detroit really wants salary relief, then trade for him without getting any money back. It will blow up the payroll and paralyze us for future offseasons, but it's a way to improve the rotation now without, probably, having to give up a lot in return. 

26 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Well, we could have gotten a solid 4th/5th starter - Jaime Garcia went for a very small price - Minnesota's 22nd ranked prospect - who's not even doing well this season in the low minors.     

Looks like the O's did not want to add 4.5m to their payroll for a rental.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Looks like the O's did not want to add 4.5m to their payroll for a rental.

Exactly, that's more along the line of thinking I intended for this thread. I believe Angelos' command is "Don't trade our star power, try to contend, but don't spend any money."

Thinking outside the box. If Dan isn't going to make any significant deals, could a reliever like Brach be stretched out to become a starter. Could we a 5 inning start from him once every 5 days as opposed to several 1 outings a week be possible?  I mean Miley and Ubaldo have trouble making it thru 5 innings. I know we would have to be careful with the increase in innings. Maybe I'm just desperate to improve the SP.

3 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Okay, you are saying if you HAD to fix it. No sell, ownership demands it, or whatever, but you have to.

1. Go get Darvish. Pay whatever they ask for. It may hurt you long term or may even mean giving up some young hitting

2. DFA Ubaldo immediately. Pretty obvious as we all have been mentioning it.

3. If I really must fix the pitching, then I go to Mil about Garza, Texas about Cashner or STL about Lynn.

These moves may decimate the team other wise, but I believe we would fix the starting pitching for the remainder of the year.

We're going to outbid LAD for Darvish?

14 hours ago, ScGO's said:

So we buy (or more realistically speaking, we go for it); how would you do it?  It feels like an impossible task with our lack of assets. Here is mine:

I stick with Bundy, Tilman, and Gausman for the time being. Jiminez and Miley are immediately released and we open up those spots to the AAA shuttle, first crack to Aquino and Ynoa with Asher on the roster as long man. Keep Wilson nearby too. The goal is that at least one will establish themselves into a 5+ innings pitcher that can keep us in games till the 6th when the BP can take over.

If we can't find a starter on the market, we could try the Tanner Scott strategy. If he gets us into the 4th each outing then one of our long men can get through the line up once, and we are in the the 6th or 7th handing it to the BP again. Maybe Akin is an option too.

In the mean time we need to find our 2017 version of 2012's Joe Saunders, maybe Miguel Gonzalez but open to hear suggestions that don't cost the farm.

If we can get something like the rotation below, we might have shot, especially if Tillman and Gausman can perform.

Tillman

Bundy

Gausman

Gonzales or affordable trade chip

Tanner Scott for 3+ and an Asher/Aquino/Verret type long man (or a Scott and Akin tandem?)

Can my strategy be to have gausman pitch every game like he pitched tonight? That's probably the best path to the playoffs from where we are. 

7 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

How can a thread like this even exist without a mention of Scott Feldman? 

There, now I've mentioned him.

Anybody who mentions Scott Feldman's name should be banned from the OH. ;)

7 hours ago, crawjo said:

You'd have to be willing to take on bad contracts. Justin Verlander might be a possibility. If Detroit really wants salary relief, then trade for him without getting any money back. It will blow up the payroll and paralyze us for future offseasons, but it's a way to improve the rotation now without, probably, having to give up a lot in return. 

I'd take him on, but the tigers would have to pay up to $20-$28, about half of what he's owed. 

37 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Miguel Gonzalez would be a good target. Cheap. Has good career numbers vs the AL East. We will be playing division teams a lot the last month of the season. 

I'd do it if the price isn't high. He's always done well against the Yankees. 

Archived