Dan Duquette Trade History

Slade-OH

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I wonder though after the Rangers series and his comments if ownership changed their minds, even on Britton and Brach. Guess we'll see.

Hopefully, the Houston series disabused ownership of that idea!  This home stand only showed that we can still beat bad teams but can't beat good ones.  Which do we face in the playoffs?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan's bosses in Montreal and Boston were also giving him different orders and initiatives than his Baltimore bosses. I wouldn't call his moves boneheaded or suggest he is incompetent. Dan was told to compete with limitations in assets. He is probably the man to lead a sell off, but will his boss let him.

It appears that, with the exception of Varitek, Risley and Barker, his acquisitions were young major league players (not minor league "prospects") who had yet to "break through" as impact contributors.

I'm curious as to his pre-Oriole performance as a "buyer"

38 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Dan's bosses in Montreal and Boston were also giving him different orders and initiatives than his Baltimore bosses. I wouldn't call his moves boneheaded or suggest he is incompetent. Dan was told to compete with limitations in assets. He is probably the man to lead a sell off, but will his boss let him.

I'd argue that the Gallardo acquisition was boneheaded.

1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

You think that Angelos had a hand in the Gallardo deal.

Sorry my finger hit the period instead of the question mark. That was a serious question from me. I think Ownership had a hand in that deal. 

3 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Sorry my finger hit the period instead of the question mark. That was a serious question from me. I think Ownership had a hand in that deal. 

I don't think Angelos said "Sign that guy that failed the physical!"

That seems like one of the things he'd be least likely to say.

16 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

No, I don't think a guy like Angelos is willingly signing injured starting pitchers to multi-year deals to 8 digit salaries for 1st round draft picks. Angelos is a very methodical, conservative owner. I think that was entirely Duquette. He waited until the last possible minute and felt forced. So he did it. It was asinine.

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

No, I don't think a guy like Angelos is willingly signing injured starting pitchers to multi-year deals to 8 digit salaries for 1st round draft picks. Angelos is a very methodical, conservative owner. I think that was entirely Duquette. He waited until the last possible minute and felt forced. So he did it. It was asinine.

What really tops off the Gallardo signing is you didn't even need the failed physical to see something was wrong.  His usage in Texas was very odd with them very often pulling him after five innings.  Of course once Buck gets ahold of him that goes out the window as Buck repeatedly tried to squeeze more outs.

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think Angelos said "Sign that guy that failed the physical!"

That seems like one of the things he'd be least likely to say.

That's all on DD. He even lost the 1st rd pick for it. 

Gallardo and Ubaldo are huge black marks on DD. He was able to play his way out of the Gallardo move though. 

But Gallardo was one of the few options Dan had for starting pitching available on the market for the price he was allowed to spend. Wasnt great but what option would have been better? Maybe keeping Gonzalez? 

8 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

But Gallardo was one of the few options Dan had for starting pitching available on the market for the price he was allowed to spend. Wasnt great but what option would have been better? Maybe keeping Gonzalez? 

How much was the pick worth?  If the second round comp picks were worth over 2M what is an honest to goodness first round pick worth? 

On 7/24/2017 at 10:57 AM, Slade-OH said:

Good article from Baltimore Baseball that highlights Dan Duquette's trade history: 

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2017/07/24/dan-duquette-fared-trading-veterans-prospects-sell-deals-mlb-career/

o

(JULY 28th, 2017)

Starting pitcher Jeremy Hellickson was acquired from the Phillies for AA-Bowie pitcher Garrett Cleavinger, Hyun-Soo Kim, and an International signing bonus slot.

o

Archived