O's trade for Hellickson

OriolesMagic83

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

61% of the outs that Hellickson recorded (11 out of 18) came via the Groundout and the Strikeout.

18 OUTS: ) 6 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 4 Strikeouts, 4 Lineouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Caught Stealing

JEREMROBERHELLCKSON )))))) (vs. DEVIL RAYS, 9/23) 

IP:ll6

H:llll )) (1 Home Run, 3 Singles)

R:llll 3

BB:ll1

SO:ll4

Pitches: )l  90 )(58 )Strikes, )32 )Balls)

2017 ERA: )l 6.97

2017 WHIP: )l 1.277 )  51.67 Innings  (66 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l) .243 )  (49 for 202)

PITCHES BY INNING

10 ll(71 llStrikes, ll3 lllBalls)

11 lll(81 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

25 lll(17 llStrikes, llllllBalls)

11 lll(71 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

21 lll(14 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

12 lll(51 llStrikes, llllllBalls)

o

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

He made one bad pitch.    Otherwise, he pitched very well.   

Out of how many starts? He wasn't ever going to move the needle. Definitely a back of the rotation guy going forward. I actually thought he might have something left, but his command has to be spot on because his stuff is below average except for the change up. 

21 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Out of how many starts? He wasn't ever going to move the needle. Definitely a back of the rotation guy going forward. I actually thought he might have something left, but his command has to be spot on because his stuff is below average except for the change up. 

I was just talking about his outing tonight.   I was at the game, and thought he had a very good night, except the one pitch to Duda.    I wasn't commenting on his overall performance for us (poor), or the wisdom of the trade (meh, i don't think we'll miss Cleavinger, and it was worth a shot even though the best we could have hoped for was a 4.5ish ERA).    

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

This is not even close to the Davies for Parra trade.    Everyone knew that was bad.    We had a chance at the time and Cleavinger is a lefty setup guy as a ceiling who was getting hammered in AA at age 23 and has continued to stink at AA for the Phils.    Not much of an asset for someone who had the ability to put a good stretch together and help us make the playoffs.   Didn't work out.   No big deal.

I would be interested in Hellickson on a one year deal next year.   I would stay away from him or any of the other guys who require 3/30 type of contracts.

I agree that it's not nearly as bad as Davies for Parra.  

I think plenty of people knew this deal was bad too when it happened, I know I did, and I surely wasn't the only one.  

25 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

A beautiful thread straight out of a nightmare.

Yes, we gave up future assets to acquire Jeremy Hellickson.

I think it's also important to keep it in context, to put it in monatary terms, it's like a 2 million loss in value.  Hellickson worth nothing (actually negative value, but not important because the O's didn't have a realistic shot at the playoffs, something like 2% chance at the time of the trade).  Cleavinger and international slot(s) probably worth about 2 million.

In comparison, the Parra for Davies deal is at least a $50 million loss. 

It does suck to give up something (even something relatively small) for nothing, it's like when you buy an ice cream cone and you drop it on the ground.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Fair enough.   I didn't think anything when we made the trade.   I knew it was a longshot that Hellickson would put a good stretch together but we gave up slots we wouldn't have used and Cleavinger is just an example of a very poor draft pick.

He was an ok draft pick, he was ranked ahead of Cedric Mullins and Tanner Scott by some ahead of this season.  He could still have a major league future as a LOOGY. The stuff plays vs LH batters, he just needs a little better command/control.  Over the past 2 seasons he's run a 13.4 K/9 and a 3.5 BB/9 against lefties.  Yeah, I'd prefer to draft more upside in the 3rd round, but it's not a terrible pick.

The international slots, even though the Orioles don't use them, still have value.  They are worth something to other teams, so the Orioles should make sure they get the best possible value back for them.  

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

This is not even close to the Davies for Parra trade.    Everyone knew that was bad.    We had a chance at the time and Cleavinger is a lefty setup guy as a ceiling who was getting hammered in AA at age 23 and has continued to stink at AA for the Phils.    Not much of an asset for someone who had the ability to put a good stretch together and help us make the playoffs.   Didn't work out.   No big deal.

I would be interested in Hellickson on a one year deal next year.   I would stay away from him or any of the other guys who require 3/30 type of contracts.

What do you see that tells you he'd be a serviceable 5th guy?

Archived