POLL: Yay or nay on Beckham trade?

PaulFolk

POLL: Do you like the Tim Beckham trade?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Tim Beckham trade?

• Yes. Beckham is under control through 2020 and could be the SS of the future.
    • No. We should be acquiring prospects, not trading them away.
    • Meh. Nothing lost, nothing gained.

This poll is closed to new votes

At this point, the only value Beckham has is as a DH/utility guy... which is what Tb was doing with him.

Of course, we have like 6 DHs on the team so he’s being forced into an everyday role.

I never had a problem with the trade. It was worth the gamble to see if there was more there with Beckham. He was the #1 overall pick. 

Moving him to 3B was a mistake. Let’s see if Bobby D can work some miracles. If not, I think we have to nontender him. If there was room on the roster for a RH Dh/until he could be that, but right now he cannot be an everyday guy as an IF.... I mean, if you care about winning....

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just finished watching the game recap.  Wow, just wow on Beckham's ability to handle SS.  

But again, I've been arguing that we should keep him and turn him into a super utility.  I think he has the physical build and athleticism to play in the OF, possibly all 3 positions.  And he could play all 4 IF spots too in a pinch.  Give him 500 ABs while spreading him around LF/RF/3B/2B/CF/1B/SS (in that order for the bulk of his innings please) and if he can hit between .750 - .800 OPS or better, you have a trade chip next deadline.  There is still value in him if used correctly.

28 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

There is a reason Tampa dumped him when he has a decent bat.  You can't have a guy play THIS bad in the field and continue running him out there, even if he was hitting like he was when we first got him last year.  Perhaps he has regressed to his Tampa days?

To be fair, he’s never been THIS bad at SS before.    He’s always been erratic, but nothing like this.   Not to make excuses for him, but switching positions at mid-season isn’t that easy.     I’d certainly expect him to revert to his pre-2018 form eventually.

.284/.340/.465 his career triple slash as a SS. 

.201/.247/.287 at 3B.

.206/.256/.390 at 2B.

I don't know how much I buy into these types of splits, but that is even crazier than the Trumbo in the field vs Trumbo at DH splits.

If you think he can continue to put up a 117 wRC+ (what the top line equates to) at SS, then you give him every possible chance to fail there defensively, because that's a well above average SS, 3-4 WAR if the defense is even fringe average (which he has the physical tools to accomplish easily and has been in the past).

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

This is why the narrative that Manny “demanded” to play SS or that Buck “kowtowed” to him fails. Manny let it be known that he’d prefer to play SS, and Buck judged that he’d be a better SS than Beckham.     Was he wrong?

Dammit Frobby, stop being so levelheaded!  It's really pissing me off!  Buck kowtowing to Manny falls in the narrative of why he's a bad manager and needs to be out of here next year and without that my argument has one less leg to stand on!!!11111 uggghghghghghhghg

8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

.201/.247/.287 at 3B.

.206/.256/.390 at 2B.

I don't know how much I buy into these types of splits, but that is even crazier than the Trumbo in the field vs Trumbo at DH splits.

If you think he can continue to put up a 117 wRC+ (what the top line equates to) at SS, then you give him every possible chance to fail there defensively, because that's a well above average SS, 3-4 WAR if the defense is even fringe average (which he has the physical tools to accomplish easily and has been in the past).

Yes, this is what I don't get.  He's got the physical tools to play SS.  Not the fastest guy ever but he's quick enough to play the position.  

Maybe he's into his own head a little too much and one error compounds itself into many more.  

I'm not sure how these splits work either but if that's what he slashes at SS, then I agree...make him work his ass off this winter on fundamentals and make him take a ton of infield in ST next year.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yes, this is what I don't get.  He's got the physical tools to play SS.  Not the fastest guy ever but he's quick enough to play the position.  

Maybe he's into his own head a little too much and one error compounds itself into many more.  

I'm not sure how these splits work either but if that's what he slashes at SS, then I agree...make him work his ass off this winter on fundamentals and make him take a ton of infield in ST next year.  

His issues are primarily mental, and I'm sure the errors build on each other, hurting confidence and building negative momentum. I'd hire someone to work with him on mediation/visualization, sounds silly, but it's worked for people. He needs a way to help the game slow down in his head.

5 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

His issues are primarily mental, and I'm sure the errors build on each other, hurting confidence and building negative momentum. I'd hire someone to work with him on mediation/visualization, sounds silly, but it's worked for people. He needs a way to help the game slow down in his head.

It's true. I'm sold. If he can be average at SS, and he does his .284/.340/.465 his career triple slash as a SS, it's worth more time at SS and time with the psychiatrist. 

"Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical."

6 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

.201/.247/.287 at 3B.

.206/.256/.390 at 2B.

Given were the Orioles are, I think this is a good argument to tender him a contract unless he goes ice cold offensively while at SS the rest of the year. I'm not sure the upside is that great nor is the likelihood he'll reach that upside, but what do we have to lose? We don't have any better options on the farm for SS for the next year or two. Trying to make something here is the 'luxury' a team in the O's position has. There's really nothing much to lose and while it's not likely they'll gain much either, but if he can get back to where he should be defensively, he at least becomes a useful piece that could yield something else.

o

(vs. RED SOX, 8/10)

NUMBER 7

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

o

On 8/9/2018 at 6:04 AM, Luke-OH said:

I agree. Finding a calm mental place is about as silly as telling a struggling pitcher to just be themselves and throw across their body if they want to. It cant hurt.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:55 PM, jtschrei said:

It's true. I'm sold. If he can be average at SS, and he does his .284/.340/.465 his career triple slash as a SS, it's worth more time at SS and time with the psychiatrist. 

"Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical."

I have been watching baseball for over fifty years and Beckham is the worst infielder I have ever seen take the field in a MLB game, like Pedro he should never ever be issued a glove.

Archived